Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What makes Fenix the better A32 over FBW...or is it?

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Did my 3rd flight, or should I say attempt, using flybag's import of SimBrief pax/load, proceeded to take off and for some reason got into the A. FLOOR condition which I think came from exceeding weight loads near as I can tell.  The plane climbs at an excessive rate with N2 at only 92% while TAS drops to 200 and stays there.  I pitched the nose down to regain air speed, the condition resolved, but I could never get autothrottle/VNAV to engage and stay engaged.

A. Floor means you almost stalled your plane and it tried to protect itself. Here's a quick guide on how to manage it. If you don't resolve the TOGA LK, you'll be stuck in TOGA thrust.

5 minutes ago, gb09f said:

These "which is best" threads always turn into a drama...😀

It's nauseating. 

2 hours ago, Noel said:

That seems like you're joking, no?  Seems like it's the other way around this A320 is so much more complicated my God!

Having flown both the 737 and A320 extensively in the sim, I'd say the flows are significantly more "busy" on the 737. Take some of the items from the 737 after start flow (from memory): Put the engine generators on the buses, reconfigure the bleed air, cabin pressurization to flight, engine start switches continuous. All of these things happen automatically on the A320.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old-school / hands on cockpit of the 737, but the workload on the A320 is definitely lower.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, martinboehme said:

Having flown both the 737 and A320 extensively in the sim, I'd say the flows are significantly more "busy" on the 737. Take some of the items from the 737 after start flow (from memory): Put the engine generators on the buses, reconfigure the bleed air, cabin pressurization to flight, engine start switches continuous. All of these things happen automatically on the A320.

Don't get me wrong, I like the old-school / hands on cockpit of the 737, but the workload on the A320 is definitely lower.

Wow, that's hard to fathom right now.  Perhaps it is the integration w/ its EFB that makes it seem much more complex.  Actually, it's more the MCDU that's very different and therefore not so intuitive for me.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

15 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wow, that's hard to fathom right now.  Perhaps it is the integration w/ its EFB that makes it seem much more complex.  Actually, it's more the MCDU that's very different and therefore not so intuitive for me.

I can definitely relate to that. I was an Airbus sceptic for many years - and the MCDU was a big part of it, it just seemed so different from Boeing and, indeed, most other airliners. I mean, it didn't even scroll the right way! When I finally took the plunge and learned the Airbus way, I was surprised that it ended up making a lot of sense to me - it's just very different from Boeing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Is anyone going to actually answer his question?

The post is not so much a question, but the revelation that the OP has no basic awareness (yet) of the Airbus A3XX operation.  That's not a critisicm and isn't meant to sound as harsh as it does.   But if he's looking for LNAV and VNAV buttons and trying to operate the trim, then I feel he needs to spend a good few hours watching some basic tutorials on YouTube.  The entire operational philosophy of the Airbus could not be more different from that of the Boeing.  He's "looking" for Boeing-isms, which is going to make it harder.  You need to unlearn everything you know from Boeing systems, to learn the Airbus. 

Again, watching some basic tutorials for either the FBW or Fenix (or any decent simulation of the A3XX, including the ToLiss for X-Plane) will get the OP to the basic understanding of modes and operation.  Coming back and then asking specifics will then be a more fruitful way of approaching the learning.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

6 minutes ago, martinboehme said:

I can definitely relate to that. I was an Airbus sceptic for many years - and the MCDU was a big part of it, it just seemed so different from Boeing and, indeed, most other airliners. I mean, it didn't even scroll the right way! When I finally took the plunge and learned the Airbus way, I was surprised that it ended up making a lot of sense to me - it's just very different from Boeing. 

I flew Boeing Aircraft in two sims, and even flew an Airline CAE Level D sim. Eventually I got bored with the Boeing world, after many thousands of hours. When I got the Fenix, I purchased a 400+ page book written by an Author that had written several books that I had on the Boeing Aircraft, and realized there was alot more to learn in the Airbus World. Still learning, and really enjoying the Fenix A 320. I guess that is why some call it "study level".

https://www.amazon.com/Airbus-A320-pilot-handbook-techniques/dp/146095551X

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

25 minutes ago, JYW said:

The post is not so much a question, but the revelation that the OP has no basic awareness (yet) of the Airbus A3XX operation. 

Exactly - and we’ve all been there.

22 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew Boeing Aircraft in two sims, and even flew an Airline CAE Level D sim. Eventually I got bored with the Boeing world, after many thousands of hours. When I got the Fenix, I purchased a 400+ page book written by an Author that had written several books that I had on the Boeing Aircraft, and realized there was alot more to learn in the Airbus World. Still learning, and really enjoying the Fenix A 320. I guess that is why some call it "study level".

https://www.amazon.com/Airbus-A320-pilot-handbook-techniques/dp/146095551X

I think I bought Mike Ray’s book back in 2009 and ever since I’ve been using the DIFRIPPS mnemonic to help with cockpit preparation. Lots of good stuff in that book - despite its age.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

1 minute ago, SierraDelta said:

Exactly - and we’ve all been there.

I think I bought Mike Ray’s book back in 2009 and ever since I’ve been using the DIFRIPPS mnemonic to help with cockpit preparation. Lots of good stuff in that book - despite its age.

I met Mike Ray  years ago at a Flight Sim convention in San Diego. Super nice guy, still have his Boeing 737 Book with his autograph on it.  

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

I use the tiller and I have no problems, rudder-only moves when using pedal disc as it should. Maybe what you describe is the case in the other unrealistic option in the EFB. With NWS enabled in the EFB it's exactly as it should be.

Nope, it's wrong and I opened a ticket, and they said they'll look into it later... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Are you stationary while doing this? You can't move the rudder independently while taxiing during flight control checks, which is Airbus SOP, without it also moving the nosewheel. 

Ah now I understand. Yes I'm stationary during the flight controls check, that's why we see different things.

2 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Care to elaborate? I push it, I move the pedals, rudder moves, NW doesn't.

Also the same I can do flight control checks without moving the nose wheel.

1 hour ago, JYW said:

but the revelation that the OP has no basic awareness (yet) of the Airbus A3XX operation

It may have sounded like it, but that is not true at all.  Having gone thru point by point tutorials I just missed a couple of key points that are very different from Boeing.  I just did my 4th try now and all was well up to cruise from KDEN > KLAS, however I paused to change some controller settings, cockpit camera views and so forth, the sim locked up.  So definitely got a lot of the basic already.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

41 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Also the same I can do flight control checks without moving the nose wheel.

I don't know why this is so difficult. If I just start to taxi at one or two MPH, I can apply full left and right rudder with the rudder pedals, and watch the rudder display , and it will show full deflection of rudder. Takes about 4 seconds to do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I don't know why this is so difficult. If I just start to taxi at one or two MPH, I can apply full left and right rudder with the rudder pedals, and watch the rudder display , and it will show full deflection of rudder. Takes about 4 seconds to do. 

I have the tiller set up so I can use it instead of the rudder while taxiing per the real aircraft.