Fenix A320 or PMDG 737

Fenix A 320 versus PMDG 737 Preference.   

303 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like to fly the most

• Fenix Airbus A 320
    • PMDG 737
    • Like flying Both A 320 and PMDG equally

9 hours ago, Aamir said:

I checked with the support staff on this one - it happens when your throttles aren't calibrated in their detents properly. A couple of suggestions would be to run the throttle calibration again, or widen the detent nullzone so that the detents themselves are larger. I'd recommend starting with 4% and going from there. 

Could you elaborate on this please?  I'm not sure how reducing the throttle would have triggered this issue regardless of the detent margin unless I have a bad sensor in the throttle that jumped the input into TOGA, so I'd like to understand better.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:08 PM, Bobsk8 said:

Am debating getting the 737, I really like the A 320 now, and wondering if users of both aircraft have a preference as to which they like to fly the most. 

The 737 is more fun and more challenge. I prefer it. The A320 is too easy for me.

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

17 minutes ago, mholden020 said:

Could you elaborate on this please?  I'm not sure how reducing the throttle would have triggered this issue regardless of the detent margin unless I have a bad sensor in the throttle that jumped the input into TOGA, so I'd like to understand better.

The flight warning computer monitors the TL position, this is used to feed data for certain states, such as Go-Around, etc - so if you haven't calibrated your throttle or there's a minor jump detected out of the detent, this can confuse the flight warning computer and it will trigger the sort of errors you see.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Aamir Thacker

33 minutes ago, Aamir said:

The flight warning computer monitors the TL position, this is used to feed data for certain states, such as Go-Around, etc - so if you haven't calibrated your throttle or there's a minor jump detected out of the detent, this can confuse the flight warning computer and it will trigger the sort of errors you see.

So basically if it happened to be in the CLB detent, let's say, and it bumped just out of the detent for whatever reason that could trigger the Go-Around mode.  Do I understand that correctly?

1 minute ago, mholden020 said:

So basically if it happened to be in the CLB detent, let's say, and it bumped just out of the detent for whatever reason that could trigger the Go-Around mode.  Do I understand that correctly?

I'm not sure what it could trigger exactly without replicating the issue which I have not been able to do - but what I can say is that the recommendation resolved issues for people with the same problem, the FWC is a really complicated thing to try to debug because it has a number of timings built into it - but, with that being said we're trying to figure out what the problem is in the interim.

Aamir Thacker

2 hours ago, Aamir said:

I'm not sure what it could trigger exactly without replicating the issue which I have not been able to do - but what I can say is that the recommendation resolved issues for people with the same problem, the FWC is a really complicated thing to try to debug because it has a number of timings built into it - but, with that being said we're trying to figure out what the problem is in the interim.

I understand completely!  I just wanted to make sure I have a good idea of what's up before diving into it.

EDIT:  I redid the calibration, set the nullzone to 4% and set it up as instructed.  I took off with the throttle in FLEX and never touched the throttle, raised the gear (still not touching the throttle) and the sirens went off.  

Edited by mholden020

59 minutes ago, mholden020 said:

EDIT:  I redid the calibration, set the nullzone to 4% and set it up as instructed.  I took off with the throttle in FLEX and never touched the throttle, raised the gear (still not touching the throttle) and the sirens went off.  

That's... very odd. Could you DM me a video of it please?

Aamir Thacker

4 minutes ago, Aamir said:

That's... very odd. Could you DM me a video of it please?

I'll do my best, about to try it again so I'll record it.

3 hours ago, mholden020 said:

I understand completely!  I just wanted to make sure I have a good idea of what's up before diving into it.

What message did you get on the monitors as this happened?

36 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

What message did you get on the monitors as this happened?

I got two messages, actually:  The Red Master Caution message is "L/G GEAR NOT DOWN", there's also a message in the lower-right memo box on the upper screen says "LDG INHIBIT" during this Master Caution.  

Looking back at the video I sent Aamir, I noticed two more things that I'd missed at the time:
- I overshot the FLEX detent slightly before it locked into the throttle detent, which meant I had to pull the throttle back a tiny amount during the initial roll.  Nothing happens on the upper ECAM screen when this happens.
- The lower left memo box showed the Landing Checklist at 90kts and LDG INHIBIT, but the PFD does not change from the usual takeoff display:  MAN THR / SRS (CLB) / RWY (NAV).  So basically, ECAM is showing the usual stuff for landing but the PFD is showing the usual stuff for takeoff.  It's now pretty obvious, but with the Landing Checklist active on the memo box it would make sense that it loses its mind when the gear comes up.

So far I've made four takeoffs and this happened on the last three.  The first takeoff was a bigger mess, with the everything changing to Go Around mode and replacing the active flight plan with one from my destination to my alternate.  (I do have a video of this takeoff but it's difficult to see what's happening because of how quickly I was moving the camera to find out what was happening)

@Aamir I had a confluence of events last night that might give some data on the issues I've been having with the Fenix external app.

I was using FSIPanel to practice landings. After doing that for about 4-5 landings I went back to the main menu, set up a new flight at the gate intending to fly a route. I got the "Cannot Connect" error on the EFB. Same livery. Going back to the main menu again and relaunching the flight works.

Then, same flight, as I was taxing out, none of the controls of my TCA throttle worked. The brakes, engines, etc had worked on pushback. I was using Spad since the profile switching makes it easy to go between my planes. I quit Spad, switched to my Fenix profile within MSFS and still throttles, etc. did not work.

In this case, the main menu trick did not work and I had to restart the entire sim.

My guess is, something these apps use causes a simconnect-style error that affects the Fenix app. The next time I have the problem I will see if it affects the PMDG since sometimes I end up with their version of an authentication error.

Once I have a little more data I will open a support ticket. I work in IS and I like to give as much information as possible. I'll keep some good records for a few days to document it.

I like updates and tend to fly a plane that's just been updated. The PMDG wins in this respect so it's the plane I fly most. To keep me interested I want continual updates and improvements. The Fenix seems to have died and is beginning to bore me. The FBW, on the other hand, is still marching forwards.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, flyingpauls said:

The 737 is more fun and more challenge. I prefer it. The A320 is too easy for me.

You want something challenging Fly the Maddog. Makes the A320 or B737 a snoreffest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

The Fenix seems to have died and is beginning to bore me. The FBW, on the other hand, is still marching forwards.

All talk the FBW still have years to catch to the Fenix like Fenix have years to catch up to FS Labs.  But keep the cheerleading going.

Edited by jbdbow1970

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

I like updates and tend to fly a plane that's just been updated. The PMDG wins in this respect so it's the plane I fly most. To keep me interested I want continual updates and improvements. The Fenix seems to have died and is beginning to bore me. The FBW, on the other hand, is still marching forwards.

To be fair, they said in February they are working hard on v2 and didn't have much to share. If v2 is on the near side of release, I imagine a lot of bug fixes are just rolled into that.

In terms of updates, it depends on how meaningful the update is.

• Like 1