Sign in to follow this  
seamaster55

New Entry on p3d main site.

Looking on their web site at the space given developers I get the impression addon developers hold an important place at the LM P3D table. Seems a goodly number not yet abandoned for greener pastures. IMHO I have the impression they really don't want to break completely with backward compatibility. Let's hope.   

Vic green

9 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

Anyway, we're here in the P3D forum to discuss P3D, where landclass scenery, an optional update regimen at a measured pace, historical and accurately-repeatable weather configuration, and network-independent reliability still work for us. 

I thought the goal of the topic was to discuss a *future* P3D version. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Just now, GCBraun said:

I thought the goal of the topic was to discuss a *future* P3D version. 

"Future" is not synonymous with "completely different".  The historical progression of P3D has been one of incremental improvement with attention to backwards-compatibility and reliability.  The commercial customers that are LMs primary target group don't want "disruptive."  They have work to do--they need continuity and reliability.  So do we.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

"Future" is not synonymous with "completely different".  The historical progression of P3D has been one of incremental improvement with attention to backwards-compatibility and reliability.  The commercial customers that are LMs primary target group don't want "disruptive."  They have work to do--they need continuity and reliability.  So do we.

Having adopted P3D in 2012/2013, I still remember how hardcore FSX users would promptly dismiss it. Therefore, I have the same right as anyone else here to express my opinions about how the sim should (or not) evolve.

One thing is certain: a P3Dv6 that is perhaps a 5.3 with minor improvements won’t bring users or add-on developers back. Just look at this forum…some years ago a topic like this would be booming. 

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I prefer the quiet and stable life of P3D. There’s never any big problems to resolve. Just the occasional small ones, easily solved.

Switching to any other sim would cost a lot of money to acquire the same airports and aircraft assuming they were available. Two I fly currently aren’t.

I’d spend hours programming my GoFlight units for the new sim.

I’d spend a lot of time learning how the camera system could be configured to work like ChasePlane.

All the work on integrating Cartayna’s jetways would be lost. More time getting those back even if possible.

In short, the disadvantages of switching away from P3D outweigh any advantages by a very large margin.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I prefer the quiet and stable life of P3D. There’s never any big problems to resolve. Just the occasional small ones, easily solved.

I am with you all the way Ray! In the early days after the MS thingy was released, this hobby was making me crazy. At first I found out that I live about 2 blocks north of a fast internet connection. Next came all the MS promise marketing about sending a couple of French guys to airplane school and someday all would be wonderful. That is about when I waved the BS flag and starting getting my little home cockpit set up and starting upgrading my computer to the latest and greatest to run Prepar3d. I have never looked back and I know there are a lot of other folks just like you and I. I am pretty sure the LM will continue at much the same pace we have become use to over the years and that is just fine with me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Frankly, I'd rather some MSFS users stay where they are (we definitely are different targets/publics). As for the developers, it's their choice... as I will have my options by continuing on the platform or who knows the day I switch to MSFS... it's just that, for me, certain developers have simply died.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

2 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

As for the developers, it's their choice... as I will have my options by continuing on the platform or who knows the day I switch to MSFS... it's just that, for me, certain developers have simply died.

Let's not forget there's a huge number of airports available for P3D, many available at discount prices.

Bob Scott has said he has a couple of hundred. Many are still compatible with v5 even though they were released for earlier versions. UK2000 being a classic example.

Other than Manchester currently undergoing a huge rebuild I wouldn't know or care if the sim version of an airport was any different to the actual one.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think that you guys are actually the reason why LM really doesn't want to invest in a new sim, and the reason most developers have abandoned the ship...you are so happy with what you currently have then why do you want and update?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

56 minutes ago, ttbq1 said:

LM really doesn't want to invest in a new sim

What gives you that idea?

57 minutes ago, ttbq1 said:

you are so happy with what you currently have then why do you want and update?

No one is saying that P3D is perfect and can't be improved on. If LM can further advance P3D and keep backward compatibility, I'm certainly getting the new version.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Other than Manchester currently undergoing a huge rebuild I wouldn't know or care if the sim version of an airport was any different to the actual one.

I do strongly care about EGLC, which is almost a completely different airport in terms of layout and facilities than it was a few years back. But literally no-one seems to have any interest in updating their sceneries for these major changes. The commercial versions available in P3D are by UK2000 - which has stopped making P3D scenery at all - and ORBX, who answered my question about an update with 'we'll probably update it but it'll probably be years before we get around to it'. Shame such a major (for London) airport gets no love.

1 hour ago, ttbq1 said:

I think that you guys are actually the reason why LM really doesn't want to invest in a new sim, and the reason most developers have abandoned the ship...you are so happy with what you currently have then why do you want and update?

I think that's an exaggeration. It's simply a question of risk vs reward. There are 10 million MSFS players (that's Microsoft's stat, so take it with a pinch of salt, but it's definitely in the millions). Even if only 0.1% of those buy your add-on, that's still 10000 copies vs a P3D market which was never anywhere close to the same scale. Yes, the early chorus of 'I'm not buying any more P3D add-ons, I will wait for MSFS' in 2020 undoubtedly set a negative tone, but that's no longer relevant now.

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

1 hour ago, ttbq1 said:

Well thanks for that. I had no idea that us “crazy old P3d guys” have so much pull with a multi-billion dollar company. I think you may be giving us a little too much credit but just is case I am going to call LM today and tell them about a couple of changes that I have in mind for their proposed Mars station. I will let you know how that turns out. Lol

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

27 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

I do strongly care about EGLC, which is almost a completely different airport in terms of layout and facilities than it was a few years back. But literally no-one seems to have any interest in updating their sceneries for these major changes. The commercial versions available in P3D are by UK2000 - which has stopped making P3D scenery at all - and ORBX, who answered my question about an update with 'we'll probably update it but it'll probably be years before we get around to it'. Shame such a major (for London) airport gets no love.

Not forgetting the 7 degree glideslope. 😁 I hope you have a BAe146 for those flights.

ORBX are very disappointing. But try to ignore any differences between real world and sim and just enjoy the experience.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

A new version of EGLC would be most welcome, considering that it now has a full length taxiway. That would instantly solve the problem of AI planes having to taxi up the runway whilst other planes are attempting to land.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

59 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Well thanks for that. I had no idea that us “crazy old P3d guys” have so much pull with a multi-billion dollar company. I think you may be giving us a little too much credit but just is case I am going to call LM today and tell them about a couple of changes that I have in mind for their proposed Mars station. I will let you know how that turns out. Lol

well the hard true reality is that LM hasn't touch P3D in a long time, and let's better keep the add-ons developers out of the conversation.

BTW, there is still people using FS9 and FSX...

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU