Sign in to follow this  
JughedJones

Potentially dumb question about dual monitors

Actually I'm sure it's dumb but perhaps you'll bear with me. 

Is it possible to run my 1440p monitor for the Sim and all the main stuff, but have a smaller 1080p monitor I can use for checklists, Navigraph, etc? 

Thanks!   

Yep- I got a 4K for my main and 1440p in vertical orientation for my second. It works awesome.

• Like 2

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

there's no setup required just make sure you have "extend" in the windows monitor option rather than "duplicate". The sim should choose your primary monitor as the main screen. You're then free to do whatever with your second one.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

All good yes, i use 4K for my main monitor and a little 1080p on for charts etc.  A second monitor is a really nice thing to have in MSFS.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Same 4k 55in tv for main and a 29in wide screen for Volanta and Navigraph charts

Eric 

Same here, always over thought it (back in p3d days) - then just tried plugging an old one in and hey presto !

Couldn't go back now !!

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Using two or more monitors is easy. Just plug them into your video card and set up in Display settings. (right click on an empty area on your desktop.

Set up second monitor as extended. Then move the 2nd monitor around in the display setting so it represents your actual layout. That way your mouse will flow easily from one screen to the next. 

Desktop settings

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I've got a total of 5 monitors connected directly to my MSFS PC.
Having said that, only 2 (4K 50" and a small integrated screen as part of my RealSimGear GNS530) have any MSFS windows on them (the more windows you break out of MSFS main window, the slower performance gets 😞 .
I have one 1080p touchscreen (which I used to use with P3D for breakout MCDU/FMC) but touchscreens and MSFS dont seem to work nicely (compared to P3D), so this screen is unused until Asobo fix multiscreen interactivity.

The other screens are used for AirManager instruments and a separate screen for system monitoring tools/volanta/LNM etc

One problem with using many monitors is that I had to add a second GPU into my system to have enough HDMI/DP ports to connect up all the monitors.
The downside of that (due to the limited number of PCI channels available) is that instead of 1 GPU running at 16x, having 2 GPUs means each only run at 8x.

1 hour ago, rickjake said:

Using two or more monitors is easy. Just plug them into your video card and set up in Display settings. (right click on an empty area on your desktop.

Set up second monitor as extended. Then move the 2nd monitor around in the display setting so it represents your actual layout. That way your mouse will flow easily from one screen to the next. 

Desktop settings

Or if you have a processor with integrated graphics you can plug the second monitor into the MB and use the CPU. Whether or not this helps the GPU I don't know because I can't notice any difference but it makes me feel good.😀

• Like 1

This is odd. I tried that and as long as a discrete GPU is plugged in, I can not enable the integrated graphics chip on the CPU. I wanted the GPU to power the main screen and the integrated chip to power a small 1080 14" monitor plugged directly into the MB. No Joy. On my Gigabyte setup it's either/or.  Glad yours works fine. When I plug the second monitor into the video card, naturally the FPS drops a few. Luck of the draw, I guess.. 

I have three of them ( all 4K ) and this works beautiful since, wouldn't want to be without it..

To much windows are open for using with MSFS so a wonderful setting for me !

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png