Sign in to follow this  
superspud

flightsim.to premium

https://flightsim.to/premium/

Interesting that this hasn't been raised here yet. 

The flightsim.to premium experience has arrived. 

Are you cock-a-hoop or waiting for the walls to close in? 

For me my internet is so painfully slow the main premium benefit would make no difference at all. And I adblock the hell out of everything anyway. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I have uploaded quite a bit of material to their web page. I would expect that creators would get a premium account for free, maybe depending on the number of downloads etc. If not, I probably will stop uploading/updating anything there.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

No really amused.

One clubfoot might the chaptchas they promise to everyone with more than 20 downloads within 12 hours. This seems to be a new "feature", and while I rarely hit this limit, downloads sometimes stack up when I have been away/offline for some days.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

24 minutes ago, superspud said:

You can claim free premiumness if you get 7500 downloads a month according to that page. 

There's also a creator payment program sort of outlined here - https://flightsim.to/news/our-approach-to-flightsim-to-premium-and-creators-program which seems a bit like a can of worms. 

Thanks for sharing.

That actually is very demotivating. I got just a few more downloads than that, over my entire active time of two years. I have spent a lot of time on these creations. Some are really good, but I try to do stuff that is neglected by payware developers. No way it can be as popular as, say, a Lufthansa livery. 

I think I will look for alternative ways or stop doing sceneries and other addons for a while. Bummer.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Yes. I think 7500 is a bit excessive for something that costs that little. There'll be very few people with figures that high. 

• Like 1

As a small amateur uploader of a dozen of small airports, I take this new strategy quite seriously.

My first reaction is that I don't feel concerned by the Creator Program due to the level of amateur production and number of download. But I'm very much concerned about how potential users of my amateur work will be able to access it. If flightsim.to will directly or indirectly force regular users to get premium account, I'll switch to something different even very basic services. Although I'm a professional in IT and know about hosting and web dev cost, I feel that the freeware spirit of the days of flightsim.to is slowly vanishing.

I'll pay attention of the future development "This is only a first outline of our project, we will get back to you with more details in due course" and other feedbacks here as well as on the comment section of the announcement.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 11

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

For me with a 600+ Mbs internet - the big advantage of the premium membership is NO Countdown - as soon as I click Download - it starts with no waiting.

I think $5/month is cheap for the kind of service they provide

• Like 2

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

11 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

I think $5/month is cheap for the kind of service they provide

The point isn't $5/month, but these stack up. I have a RealTraffic subscription (17 €/month) for PSXT, others have a Navigraph subscription, some have both, etc. At a point you detect a growing percentage of your income is going to subscriptions, even if they are each small.

But of course it's up to everyone to decide.

Kind regards, Michael  

• Like 15
  • Upvote 5

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I  have no issue paying $5/month.  I do think that content makers should be getting a better deal though…that needs to change or this will all backfire.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Well, I for one have no issue with waiting 10 seconds to download a free file 🙂

I think the fact that hobbyists who spend lots of their free time working on their creations and sharing them freely with the community, only to be robbed of the legal rights to their own works is a travesty, and that website needs to either go away or switch it's gears by making money the same way other sites like this do...by selling advertising space to commercial developers and other enterprises.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, hangar said:

I think the fact that hobbyists who spend lots of their free time working on their creations and sharing them freely with the community, only to be robbed of the legal rights to their own works is a travesty, and that website needs to either go away or switch it's gears by making money the same way other sites like this do...by selling advertising space to commercial developers and other enterprises.

Aye. I think the rights changed relatively recently and it's a tad egregious. The main change seems to be the inability to delete your own work which I've tried to do and wasn't able to. 

It wasn't the case when someone questioned the rights here a couple of years back - https://forums.flightsim.to/thread/182-terms/?postID=481#post481

As Henrik Nielsen points out in a comment on the announcement page, sometimes creators must delete their work and having the ability denied to them might cause proper problems. 

Edited by superspud
  • Like 1

All good things end up becoming about $$$

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

3 hours ago, superspud said:

https://flightsim.to/premium/

Interesting that this hasn't been raised here yet. 

The flightsim.to premium experience has arrived. 

Are you cock-a-hoop or waiting for the walls to close in? 

For me my internet is so painfully slow the main premium benefit would make no difference at all. And I adblock the hell out of everything anyway. 

I would pay $1 a month perhaps, but not $5.  I have other tweaks to make while waiting for the countdowns and I have DL so much over 2+ years that the new stuff and updates are spread out now.  So $5 is really really premium in that context.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, styckx said:

All good things end up becoming about $$$

To be fair, so far the site operators have no doubt wound up doling out many, many more $$$ than they ever expected. 

I'm not sure what I'd do for the best if my wee project turned into such a hungry beast. 

• Like 1