Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

FS 2004 files...I'm amazed!

I was using FS9 and FSX 50 : 50 But post SP1, I am using FSX less and less. The tension and blood pressure I get when I see blurries, I can't stand it. I feel like throwing my PC out the window when I see 30FSP and yet I see the green neon runways (unable to load textures) and there is no tweaking that I have not tried to get rid of that unacceptable nuisance.So for my health, I am enjoying simming in FS9. but sometime If I feel like working under the hood or If I want some tension in life, I go back to FSX.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Len, you hit the nail on the head. There are pieces of things in FSX that is extraordinary. The obvious water, the bloom, high resolution photo sceneries. But put it all together the FS9 with all the addons we have a "winning combination"If I add Ultimate Terrain, AI at 80%, Addon airport (the few we have) high water, to make FSX look good, the FPS drops to single digit and blurries. There is no winning combination I have found in FSX.Manny

Manny

Hi, Just as a reminder.....next week is SEPT and I've had problems since last OCTOBER and so far the fixes are far from over!Tony

>I've been using FSX since the day it came out. I've used>every version of FS for the past 14 years or so. I'm still>amazed as to how long FS2004 is "hanging on". I don't remember>this slow a transition to a new FS EVER! I know many have>issues with FSX's frames and demands, but honestly, I wouldn't>go back for anything. The scenery, the flight dynamics, the>traffic, and the overall experience with FSX, for me, is a>beauty to behold. Yes, I've had tweaking and various problems,>but with many on this forum and others, we work together to>move into the future of flight simulation. We HAVE to! We can>never get to "as real as it gets" unless we all work together.>But who am I to say? If 2004 rocks your boat, then continue>with it. I've just never seen such a reluctance to get to the>next level. I would love to have the power of so many simmers>who are still on the FS2004 bandwagon working with us to make>the new FSX better. >>Again, I'm not judging anyone, but I am truly amazed!>> I think FS9 is good for five more years, easily.

Hi,Staying with FS2004 for me has been due to the amount of things I have created for FS9 that aren't compatible with FSX. All of my classic scenery is not compatible (mostly excludes and untextured objects), and neither are my AI aircraft (again, untextured objects).There is nothing in FSX that makes me want to go back through my many sceneries and dozens of AI MDL files just so I can have what I already have in FS9 (with a worse frame rate). And this is the first time this has ever happened to me (simming since FS5.1). So this is indeed a very different situation for me, vs the past.--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

The Internet is powerful, a product can quickly get a reputation that is very hard to shake off. When FSX was released most had older PC's and were very happy with FS9 and add-ons.They purchased FSX and it was in contrast ....terrible.Single digit frame rates, extremely blurred textures, etc. Everyone jumped on AVsim and started to talk it down and down, many FS9ers never purchased it to this day. FS9 with addons is a very solid sim on its own.Now with newer PCs, FSX is amazing. It taxes a system with complex planes, but can be very enjoyable if 18-25 fps works for you, it does for me.It's similar to Vista that many call ME II, despite with a bit of effort it's a nice modern OS.I like FSX, but looking daily at the file library its just not catching on, I hope it does soon too. MS needs to get people talking positive about it, maybe release a bunch of free miltary planes, more detailed scenery, something to add some interest.I don't think the upcoming plane racing will do much, it seems a very limited number of people that appeals too.Hopefully the DX10 update will make it more attention grabbing.Or this could be the last FS for some time...

"Microsoft seemed to think FS9 was a dead horse. They were obviously wrong."What's the betting the same will be said of XP ;)Mike

You must have one whale of a system that possibly the rest of us don't know about if you get "18-25 fps" out of KJFK over Manhattan with sliders up to the point that you can enjoy all that FSX has to offer. (I know you didn't say that, so please forgive me). I get the same results you do away from such locations with all sliders maxed out.I think I have a reasonable system to run FSX. FS9 runs away with it in a way I never new existed, but FSX is another animal.FSX does show promise, is useable, is better in many ways, but still has a great deal of liability more so than any of its ancestors to date.Many have said that MSFS is an every other version product realtive to desirability. I never bought into this before, but the term used by one party is "leapfrog". I am not sure but what this is the case with FSX, but am still hopeing. I have had every version going back to the 5" floppies.Hopefully in a few weeks or months, all of this dialogue will be academic. I sure hope so.Respectfully:RTH

>I was using FS9 and FSX 50 : 50 But post SP1, I am using FSX>less and less. The tension and blood pressure I get when I see>blurries, I can't stand it. No SP1, no blurries, no cartoon autogen.... :-hah I still use both sims, when I use them; but FSX gets used more often, as I'm into flying over elevated topography areas (mountains), rather than simming as a commercial airline pilot. I'm very content with my SF260, FS Genesis, and much clearer texture tiles.L.Adamson

With so many gorgeous aircraft and scenery in FS9, both freeware and payware, it is not worth my time waiting for FSX to get up to speed! Sure I spend some fun time with FSX, but I am always waiting to get back to FS9 and have some serious flying. I think it will be a long time before simmers even think about removing FS9 from their hard drives.Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

>I think it will be a long time before simmers even>think about removing FS9 from their hard drives.>>AirbusOh I don't know about that exactly. I'm a simmer, and a fairly demanding one, and I loved FS9. I installed FSX on Oct 10th last year. FS9 got its one way ticket to the recycling bin on the 11th. Never looked back, not once. Gave my FS9 discs to a friend the next day.I'm not really sure how anyone could have looked at those FSX preview screenshots last summer and not realized they'd be looking at truly *massive* upgrades to their hardware to get anything out of it. Such is the price of simming as a primary hobby. Sure the crunch was a bit rougher this time around, but it's been rough many times since I started with version 2. The ironic part is that I spent less upgrading my PC for FSX than I had for any other new version.But then I guess I made games for too long, I don't see in pixels anymore, I see in polys...and cringe. ;)-Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

>You must have one whale of a system that possibly the rest of>us don't know about if you get "18-25 fps" out of KJFK over>Manhattan with sliders up to the point that you can enjoy all>that FSX has to offer. (I know you didn't say that, so please>forgive me). I get the same results you do away from such>locations with all sliders maxed out.Using a Maule over New York City, I'll hit 18-25.I think I have a screen shot coming down the Hudson see below.I use bacically Jon Patch's Vancouver+ FSX suggested settings. Key for fps in New York I found was keeping water on 1.x and lowering the ai traffic 15-24%. All others are up high.I use a quad at 3.2 with an 8800GTS 640. My main install is in Vista, but I think my XP install gets 1-3 more frames; hard to say as I have tweaked Vista much more. Both are very enjoyable, except if I use 3rd party jets like the f-18, then over NY things can get slow.http://www.pbase.com/image/84739912/original.jpg

Guest PARADISE

Remember also that FSX was a complete mystery to most add-on developers before it came out. It is only now that they have figured out what they can and cannot do with FSX, Vista, SP,ect. John M

>Just about as much reluctance as people with XP to transition>to Vista. If it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality. I mean XP>and FS2004 run hellava lot better than my FSX and Vista.Very true, well worded. As real as it gets! If ya know what I mean!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Add Ultimate Terrain, Ultimate Traffic 80% and water 2.low and LVL D 767 to what you have there. Without these....whats the point?Manny

Manny