Sign in to follow this  
Rene_Feijen

Pilot2ATC in VR

I'm using OpenKneeboard to capture the Pilot2ATC window and display it in VR. It won't capture any popup windows or dialogs when Pilot2ATC displays an error message or you open the config window, for example. But you can interact with the Pilot2ATC interface in VR if you have a PC graphics tablet like a Wacom tablet (fortunately I had one that had been in a storage box for 7-8 years in case one day I might need it for something...) However, as long as you just need to look at the Pilot2ATC window in VR, you don't really need a graphics tablet.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:27 PM, JacquesBrel said:

I'm using OpenKneeboard to capture the Pilot2ATC window and display it in VR. It won't capture any popup windows or dialogs when Pilot2ATC displays an error message or you open the config window, for example. But you can interact with the Pilot2ATC interface in VR if you have a PC graphics tablet like a Wacom tablet (fortunately I had one that had been in a storage box for 7-8 years in case one day I might need it for something...) However, as long as you just need to look at the Pilot2ATC window in VR, you don't really need a graphics tablet.

I use OpenKneeboard to write down ATC instructions, did not realize it can display Windows, will try P2A that way!

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

I've been really happy with Sky4Sim and P2ATC in VR.  I can view my PDF ATC command cheat sheet in the PDF viewer page AND get suggested voice responses in the Notification page.

+1 for Sky4Sim. As long as you have/need your cheat sheet, you can easily follow the P2A conversation in the Sky4Sim tablet. It's a brilliant solution.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

In the paid version of Sky4Sim, you get PDF uploading, so if you have the notifications pane in Sky4Sim showing the conversation and upload the PDF of the grammar phrases for in-game reference, you shouldn't have need of the FS Desktop. Its a pretty sweet little setup. I find that once I file my flightplan in the Pilot2ATC window, I have no need to leave VR. 

Another +1 for using Sky4NG with Pilot2ATC when flying in VR. Highly recommended. 

Hi, I think I have found a quite nice solution to transform Pilot2ATC (or any other desktop app) into a "VR ready app":

Tell me if it suits your needs

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

I am a VR player and today I put together a vid that may help others (and its useful to anyone setting up pilot2atc)

In regards to the Video link posted above by FauxFlight, he mentions the PDFs included with Pilot2ATC. One recent addition (available by download from Pilot2ATC's site) is the Pilot2ATC VR User Guide, which explains ways to use Pilot2ATC while in VR. It was noticed in FauxFlight's video that Pilot2ATC was not being used in VR... but it can be. See that PDF for details.

• Like 1

I will add it to the pinned comment on my vid. Much appreciated! I am not sure what you meant by "it was noticed in Fauxflights video that Pilot2ATC was not being used in VR" as I only play in VR and I was just saying at the top of the video that my demo was going to be clumsy because I was not in VR when recording it. Monitor play is a foreign thing to me and my setup is not good for it, so it makes recording vid tutorials tough for me.

Sorry for not being clearer in my sentence there. What I meant was that, while it is obvious you are a dedicated VR user for flight simming, that it "appeared" that you were not using Pilot2ATC in the VR world, hence the reason why I pointed out the existence of the PDF that helps to explain a few ways to do that. I also nearly always use VR for flight simming and have used Pilot2ATC "in the cockpit" with me (as shown in some of the images in that PDF). Again, sorry for the confusion. By the way, I enjoyed your video and thank you for putting it together. I have been using Pilot2ATC for about the same amount of time as you and consider it a very positive addition to the flight sim experience.

Certainly a challenge, I assume, to manage making a good video while dealing with all that is involved in doing so. Thanks for your effort!

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Yeah, I will take a look at that pdf and did recommend it on the vid I posted in a pinned comment. I have used FS Desktop once or twice to have pilot2atc *in* the sim, but I don't actually need the fps hit and frankly it works great for me without the interface. For my own purposes, I get almost as much out of it without having the interface visible. That said, I don't allow the ATC to change my route and that might be something to do in the future. I hadn't thought much about what I could be doing because I was pretty satisfied with what I had, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it some thought.

@EagleSight I went to the site and redownloaded the pdfs, but it was still just the basic 6 that it came with and I looked around in other areas and couldnt' find what you referred to. Do you have a link to where you're seeing that?

Edited by Fauxflights

7 hours ago, Fauxflights said:

@EagleSight I went to the site and redownloaded the pdfs, but it was still just the basic 6 that it came with and I looked around in other areas and couldnt' find what you referred to. Do you have a link to where you're seeing that?

Maybe the PDF "Pilot2ATC_VR_User_Guide" in the Documentation folder in the Pilot2ATC folder?

Edited by RedPxl
  • Like 1

@RedPxl Thanks   Much appreciated. I am certain I looked stupid, but for what its worth, the Documentation tab on the pilot2atc site has a download for the PDFS (I assumed this was a newer addition and its been a while since I installed Pilot2atc and wasn't looking to install it again) and they only contain the 1-6 documents. I re-installed the app just to get the documentation and now I'm good, but it would be great if that zip file could be updated on the site to avoid users having to do that.

Edited by Fauxflights