Sign in to follow this  
PavlinS

The Touchdown bug of PMDG

16 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I have just said that ur setting is unrealistic, that's it - where do u see rudeness here ??

Well, I would take that as very abrupt and condescending, certainly rude at about 6  on a scale of 10.

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I have found that since the last significant update, the PMDG 747 is harder to land very smoothly, even with a perfect approach and correct VREF. Compared to the QW787 and the PMDG 777 it is almost impossible to butter the landing in my experience, both with the -400 and the -800. It's not a huge issue, but I'm curious why PMDG changed the physics or the auto-throttle behaviour.

6 minutes ago, simfan1983 said:

I have found that since the last significant update, the PMDG 747 is harder to land very smoothly, even with a perfect approach and correct VREF. Compared to the QW787 and the PMDG 777 it is almost impossible to butter the landing in my experience, both with the -400 and the -800. It's not a huge issue, but I'm curious why PMDG changed the physics or the auto-throttle behaviour.

Yesterday during my regular landing practice I was again in certain issue, I find that when I move too roughly with the rudder on ground after touchdown the speed is affected. I think there might be kind of little truth on the issue from PMDG, that the problem comes from the main physics engine, because I had similar issues on other planes too. 

1 minute ago, PavlinS said:

Yesterday during my regular landing practice I was again in certain issue, I find that when I move too roughly with the rudder on ground after touchdown the speed is affected. I think there might be kind of little truth on the issue from PMDG, that the problem comes from the main physics engine, because I had similar issues on other planes too. 

Are you using autobrakes and arming the spoilers for touchdown? I've never noticed the speed increase after landing - if you have auto-throttle engaged (which is the recommended landing procedure) throttle should go to idle just before touchdown. The autobrakes should kick in immediately as the spoilers deploy once there is weight on the wheels, and then you can select reverse thrust to assist in braking. It all seems to work for me, except the descent rate seems a little high, maybe due to auto-throttle going to idle a fraction too early. I'm flying the 747-800F now so will keep an eye on the speed as I land.

2 minutes ago, simfan1983 said:

Are you using autobrakes and arming the spoilers for touchdown?

I do, of course. And no, A/t was not engaged, it was manual VFR landing, I was practicing circle to land approach, without a/p and a/t

2 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

I do, of course. And no, A/t was not engaged, it was manual VFR landing, I was practicing circle to land approach, without a/p and a/t

I may be wrong but I think Boeing recommends use of auto-throttle for 747 landings even for non precisions approaches. I would be interested to know if you get the strange speed behaviour using auto-throttle.

9 minutes ago, simfan1983 said:

I may be wrong but I think Boeing recommends use of auto-throttle for 747 landings even for non precisions approaches. I would be interested to know if you get the strange speed behaviour using auto-throttle.

That would be interesting to know. From all the videos I have seen, it appears that the pilots use a non-A/T approach to landing. (I say appears, deliberately, as I can't see if A/T is on or off).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

11 minutes ago, simfan1983 said:

It was 737. So, now, this means, that all the PMDG planes have the bug. 

2 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

It was 737. So, now, this means, that all the PMDG planes have the bug. 

On your machine, maybe.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

On your machine, maybe.

Why you are blaming my pc? Recently that PC got upgraded with brand new MSI RTX 4090, it has Asrock Z390 Pro4 MBU, also i7 9700KF and a perfect 128 DDR4 RAM, also 1300W PSU.Plus, the sim is pro plus edition and I have a lot of add-on, one of them ACCU-FEEL from A2A. 

I don't know why you are speaking my pc when clearly you don't know anything about it. Btw, I regularly check for viruses and my pc has nun, so you can not blame it.  

Edited by PavlinS

2 hours ago, PavlinS said:

Why you are blaming my pc? Recently that PC got upgraded with brand new MSI RTX 4090, it has Asrock Z390 Pro4 MBU, also i7 9700KF and a perfect 128 DDR4 RAM, also 1300W PSU.Plus, the sim is pro plus edition and I have a lot of add-on, one of them ACCU-FEEL from A2A. 

I don't know why you are speaking my pc when clearly you don't know anything about it. Btw, I regularly check for viruses and my pc has nun, so you can not blame it.  

I think that you are way too sensitive, @IanHarrison mentioned "maybe".
Nobody is blaming your PC, obviously, people are trying to help but it's getting difficult to do so when we take out of context certain statements. All the issues you are describing are not related to your PC or personal attacks. I would take it easy if you really looking for a positive resolution.

On the 737 if in autoland mode A/T on, at about 20 or 27 ft RA will start to retard as to reach idle at touch down. Manual flown, with A/T on, they should be disconnected and manually retarded before touchdown, more details based on each SOP. I don't remember if the 737 does as the 748 in reference to A/T.
On the 748 regardless of autoland or manual if the A/T is left on, will start to go idle at 20 FT RA.
On the 744 only in A/L mode will go automatically to idle @ 20 FT RA, otherwise, you need to disconnect and manually bring the power to idle as needed.
Edited by LRBS

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

On 4/2/2023 at 4:02 PM, PavlinS said:

It's too close for me, I can't see all the instruments that way. Thank you, I will attempt to make some landings with that one, if they are better I might use it. 

I think what you're looking for is moving the eye position backward so you can see more of the cockpit. I've seen many simmers using zoom to achieve this but what it inevitably does besides showing you more instruments is distorting both the cockpit as well as the outside and that's what people mean by unrealistic. Before I started flying in VR I used the eye position instead and moved it backward enough so I was "sitting" further away from the default position and could see more without the distortion. P3D has a key shortcut for this and I would assume Chaseplane allows that as well.

3 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

That would be interesting to know. From all the videos I have seen, it appears that the pilots use a non-A/T approach to landing. (I say appears, deliberately, as I can't see if A/T is on or off).

For the 777 the manufacturer recommended technique is land with autothrottle engaged at all times (including AP off), although I've heard some airlines changed this to turning it off when AP is off after the Asiana accident in San Francisco (probably to make pilots more conscious of speed on approach).

Edited by Nixoq

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, LRBS said:

think that you are way too sensitive, @IanHarrison mentioned "maybe".

Yes, I am sensitive when it comes to this pc. After all you did not invested 20K dollars into it. And in the currency in my country this is twice as much. Imagine you on my seat, dear. 

2 hours ago, LRBS said:

On the 737 if in autoland mode A/T on,

Someone does not read my comments I see, I specifically mentioned I WAS VFR. 

2 hours ago, Nixoq said:

think what you're looking for is moving the eye position backward so you can see more of the cockpit. I've seen many simmers using zoom to achieve this but what it inevitably does besides showing you more instruments is distorting both the cockpit as well as the outside and that's what people mean by unrealistic. Before I started flying in VR I used the eye position instead and moved it backward enough so I was "sitting" further away from the default position and could see more without the distortion. P3D has a key shortcut for this and I would assume Chaseplane allows that as well.

Tell me, when you sit in a real cockpit is not supposed your seat to be after the yoke? Because if you did not noticed that in real cockpits the yoke is in front of the seat, not before the seat, as it was by the advice I was given. So I don't freaking care that someone called that " unrealistic", when it comes to real cockpits this is how it supposed to happen - to see entirely the yoke so you can manage it. That does include you watch all instruments and all the surrounding area. After all in real life the cockpit is always small. And minding the fact I have 28" 4K 144 HZ Display this is plenty of space and I should manage that.