Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PavlinS

The Touchdown bug of PMDG

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, PavlinS said:

Tell me, when you sit in a real cockpit is not supposed your seat to be after the yoke? Because if you did not noticed that in real cockpits the yoke is in front of the seat, not before the seat, as it was by the advice I was given. So I don't freaking care that someone called that " unrealistic", when it comes to real cockpits this is how it supposed to happen - to see entirely the yoke so you can manage it. That does include you watch all instruments and all the surrounding area. After all in real life the cockpit is always small. And minding the fact I have 28" 4K 144 HZ Display this is plenty of space and I should manage that. 

Let's try to narrow down this A/T event. Most airlines use A/T regardless IMC, VFR, Autoland, and AP on/off and have different SOP. As an example in a B748 even if we do a circling approach (very rare) either we disengage it at 500 FT or we just don't. So that's your option. Using A/T will help if the airplane is correctly trimmed and if you don't make abrupt flight controls changes.
 
PMDG airplanes kind of have an issue with the dynamics during the flare and need fine-tuning, other developers did a better job, as an example, the real 744 or 748 is very easy and predictable during the landing/flare, and 8 out of 10 landings are greasers. Also, I noticed the same issues with their 737 and 777. We need to keep in mind that not even level D simulators are 100%.
 
Regarding how you set up the outside view/zoom. I attached a cockpit picture at JFK rwy 31L just before t.o., I would suggest using this as a desktop picture while in the simulator adjusting the outside zoom to match the tower size/height in NY to the same as the one in the picture. 
The second part would be now to adjust the cockpit zoom accordingly without modifying the zoom on the first step.
 
 
wt9ibebydou7gei?preserve_transparency=Fa
Shared with Dropbox
www.dropbox.com

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Share this post


Link to post

How many times I have to repeat - I won't change my zoom settings. no matter what you say. 

Share this post


Link to post
It was a suggestion coming from somebody who flies for a living and has the same hobby.
Sorry to bother you.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, LRBS said:

Regarding how you set up the outside view/zoom. I attached a cockpit picture at JFK rwy 31L just before t.o., I would suggest using this as a desktop picture while in the simulator adjusting the outside zoom to match the tower size/height in NY to the same as the one in the picture. 

The second part would be now to adjust the cockpit zoom accordingly without modifying the zoom on the first step.
 
 
wt9ibebydou7gei?preserve_transparency=Fa
Shared with Dropbox
www.dropbox.com

Thank you the picture. I think we can accomplish something close to that view by using @Ray Proudfoot formula of dividing 9/16 on a 9:16 aspect ratio monitor for a zoom of 0.56 and then adjust your view inside the cockpit to what it looks in your picture.

Is that a -8F?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Samaritano said:

Thank you the picture. I think we can accomplish something close to that view by using @Ray Proudfoot formula of dividing 9/16 on a 9:16 aspect ratio monitor for a zoom of 0.56 and then adjust your view inside the cockpit to what it looks in your picture.

Is that a -8F?

You are welcome. It's 8I

 


I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LRBS said:
I think that you are way too sensitive, @IanHarrison mentioned "maybe".
Nobody is blaming your PC, obviously, people are trying to help but it's getting difficult to do so when we take out of context certain statements. All the issues you are describing are not related to your PC or personal attacks. I would take it easy if you really looking for a positive resolution.
 
On the 737 if in autoland mode A/T on, at about 20 or 27 ft RA will start to retard as to reach idle at touch down. Manual flown, with A/T on, they should be disconnected and manually retarded before touchdown, more details based on each SOP. I don't remember if the 737 does as the 748 in reference to A/T.
On the 748 regardless of autoland or manual if the A/T is left on, will start to go idle at 20 FT RA.
On the 744 only in A/L mode will go automatically to idle @ 20 FT RA, otherwise, you need to disconnect and manually bring the power to idle as needed.

Thank you.

I fly the PMDG 744 exclusively and have never had such a problem as described by the OP. That is why I made my comment. When I land, (after several years of practice), I now disconnect A/T and A/P for all landings, except in really low visibility.


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, LRBS said:

It was a suggestion coming from somebody who flies for a living and has the same hobby.

The name of the topic is the touchdown bug of PMDG planes, not what camera I use. And honestly, I don't freaking care what you do for a living, if I tell you you are speaking to a piano player / classical composer this has nothing to do with the subject at question. After all during approach I need to disconnect the Auto Thrust and the autopilot, in the QW 787 I can't use keyboard combinations for that, so to me the zoom level is important, so I can reach the buttons I need to reach. I don't freaking know how it is in real life, but you guys stop twisting the subject into stuff you know nothing about. 

Edited by PavlinS

Share this post


Link to post

Calm down, Pavlin. It may not look like it, but most of these guys are trying to help. I do understand that you are comfortable with the zoom level that you are using, and that you have become used to this. Nevertheless, Nixoq's comment regarding moving your seat back to limit the zoom level that you require is sensible. For the record, I set a zoom level of 0.60 on my 24" 1920x1080 monitor, but I also move the seat back as much as 30 mouse clicks (basically up to the point where parts of the back of my seat disappear if I swivel my head through 360 degrees) :smile: That gives me a nice view position without taking the zoom to extreme levels.

As for your touchdown bug issue, I cannot help. I do not see any problems when landing the 737NGX/747/777 on my PC. The 777 has always seemed to be reluctant to flare to quite the same extent as the 737 and 747, but it does not cause me any real problems. I switch off A/P and A/T in all of my PMDG planes at 1000 feet above the runway.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Calm down, Pavlin. It may not look like it, but most of these guys are trying to help. I do understand that you are comfortable with the zoom level that you are using, and that you have become used to this.

I am not angry. It looks like I am because the way I speak English some times can be counted as rude. Well, yesterday I attempted what Ray said about my camera settings and all my landings were freaking bad. As you correctly stated, I am used to this zoom setting. I know they try to help, but the subject about my cameras should be a separate thread, this has nothing to do with the problem I am facing with the touchdown rates. From years I am attempting and practicing landings for every single video I make, my landing technique by my personal opinion is mediocre average, I showed some landings, but honestly, lately my pc is experiencing problems with performance, because part of it's parts are 4 years old already and since I had made more than 20 different videos with a lot of GCI effects in them [ this is just one of my channels, I have 5 channels], the exhaustion is too much for it and I am currently waiting for new parts. So, there might be some truth about that my pc is not best shape, but I wanted to find a fix for this problem, so when I do the flights for my world trip everything to go smoothly, since this video will be the first long video after more than 2 years of lack of upload. HHH, I find that everyone say that everything is fine irritating, when I see it is not. So I am yes, a little angry, that we twisted the subject so much. 

Edited by PavlinS

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, PavlinS said:

And honestly, I don't freaking care what you do for a living, if I tell you you are speaking to a piano player / classical composer this has nothing to do with the subject at question. After all during approach I need to disconnect the Auto Thrust and the autopilot, in the QW 787 I can't use keyboard combinations for that, so to me the zoom level is important, so I can reach the buttons I need to reach. I don't freaking know how it is in real life, but you guys stop twisting the subject into stuff you know nothing about. 

Maybe Ian will use his rudeness judgement scale for above ... ?


Artur 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Maybe Ian will use his rudeness judgement scale for above ... ?

He was not. Another person told me that my view is unrealistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Maybe Ian will use his rudeness judgement scale for above ... ?

No, I won't, as Pavlin is not a first language English speaker, I am feeling a tiny bit sorry for him. English has many nuances that cannot be taught.


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, IanHarrison said:

No, I won't, as Pavlin is not a first language English speaker, I am feeling a tiny bit sorry for him.

Thank you for that assessment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

myXXx1b.jpg

 

I am on the PMDG 777 today. Let's see am I going to butter it throw-out this landing practice. 

First attempt was awful. It bounced on touchdown. I'll keep trying. 

Share this post


Link to post

Guys, I think I found a way to fix the problem, I am experiencing. 

 

I changed the static cg height from 13.042 or 13.060 to a high value, 19.999. This gives me a lot better results with the touchdowns, the speed vector is no longer going up, only down. That has to do with my settings as well, because the flare idle override is said to now and the high idle on flare is set to yes. I think, this affects the speed vector a lot more, but it is compromising variant for the touchdown. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...