Sign in to follow this  
elprim

Any opinions about my poor hardware?

I started out on a 6700K with a GTX 980, and FS2020 performed and looked better than FSX Steam Edition ever did.  I had most of the graphics settings on either medium or high and wasn't at all disappointed with the display quality.

Still use the same CPU but upgraded to a RTX 3060 and a 47'' ultrawide monitor and still get decent (30FPS+) performance 99% of the time, with the bulk of the eye candy settings on ultra.

• Like 1

Richard P. Kelly

You basically will get quite good performance at 1080p and acceptable performance (after dropping a few settings) at higher resolutions --- but forget VR, you are not even in the ball park for good VR .

I ran this sim until March on a rig I bought close to 8 years ago, with 8 gigs of SYSTEM ram and an ancient video card . Everything on medium with about 25 fps on a 1080p display. 

You will be fine, i was using a i5 6600K OC to 4.6, 48Gb of RAM and 1060 6GB, at 1440P, with mostly high and some ultra settings too....and up until Dec 2022....

Don't chase after the FPS with FS2020, you can spend all the money you want to have the best of the best and MSFS will still be able to bring it down considerable.

Its all about balance settings and the sim will run smoothly without worrying about FPS...but of course some will like to argue that i am wrong

Edited by avistudent
  • Like 2

Many thanks to all of you. I have a much better perspective now and things look much better than I thought. 

Yes, I was initially put off by reading so many posts with 11-12000 processors and 4090 cards in their signatures, while I can't even run win11 nor install an nvme ssd. 

Ok, so heading to Steam with my credit card.

Thank you once again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, FBW737 said:

My advise is to use 4KTV from Samsung for display then tune your system for 24+ fps. Set your refresh rate to 24hz and then turn the TV's Frame generation filter up full in the TV's on screen setting for 48fps on screen. Done!

Interesting. I have a Samsung 4K TV that's used just as a TV. Out of interest, I was thinking of trying what you suggested. However, having looked through the menu options, I can't find any mention of "Frame Generation Filter". I wonder if you could elaborate a bit ?

Regards

2 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Interesting. I have a Samsung 4K TV that's used just as a TV. Out of interest, I was thinking of trying what you suggested. However, having looked through the menu options, I can't find any mention of "Frame Generation Filter". I wonder if you could elaborate a bit ?

Regards

Sure, the name used for the feature varies depending on the manufacturer and model. Mine is a Samsung UN6900. So on the TV remote I press the setting button and the on screen menu appears. Then its Picture> Expert setting>  Auto Motion Plus Settings> Judder Reduction. Judder reduction is accomplished by interpolation an extra frame between each frame received from the GPU i.e. frame generation. On my TV you can set Judder Reduction from 0 to 10. I have it set to 10 because I find that setting works best for me. The other thing you have to do I set the refresh rate in NCP and turn on Vsync in the game. So for example if you can maintain more than 30fps in game with your setting then set your refresh rate to 30hz (even better 29hz because its the same result a slightly easier on the hardware). In this case the TV's built in hardware will turn the 30/29fps its gets form the GPU into 60/58fps on screen. likewise if you can only maintain 24+ fps then set your refresh rate to 24hz for 48fps on screen.

If you get it to work you'll see some pros and cons. I certainly did when I came across this completely serendipitously about 3 years ago but I've managed to iron out nearly all the wrinkles. You might have to incourage the Judder reduction to kick in if you don't see it immediately. To do this go into NCP and change the refresh rate 29/30hz to 24hz and then back to 30hz. That ought to do it.

One tip is to reduce your panning speed.

in a flight then bring the Judder reduction filter slider up on screen with the TV and slide it back and forward between 0 and 10 and what what happens on the screen.

If you get it to work properly you won't believe you eyes.😁

• Like 1

Old but good, either that CPU and GPU are capable of delivering a good performance in 1080p...i had a I7 4790K feeding a 1080 ti for some years playing FSX and XP with no sweat...the I7 4770K is similar with a big margin for OC, put some stress on that CPU as long you have the cooling capability, because hes a hot boy.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

3 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

I7 4770K is similar with a big margin for OC, put some stress on that CPU as long you have the cooling capability, because hes a hot boy.

Agree.. I run mine at 4.1 GHz with the stock cooler and have done for years.. 🙂

Bert

14 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Regards

Bear in mind, interpolation on TV's tend to introduce a lot input latency, which may or may not be an issue depending on what and how you fly. Worth a try nevertheless.

11 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Old but good, either that CPU and GPU are capable of delivering a good performance in 1080p...i had a I7 4790K feeding a 1080 ti for some years playing FSX and XP with no sweat...the I7 4770K is similar with a big margin for OC, put some stress on that CPU as long you have the cooling capability, because hes a hot boy.

Yes I plan to do some overclocking. The original 3.50 GHz has been enough to keep my XPlane + Toliss Airbus combination on ~40-45 FPS. But now I will need all the power I can squeeze out. I will try Bert's recommendation: 4.1

You will be fine with those specs. I run MSFS 2020 on a PC with Intel I5 8500, 16 Gb Ram and AMD RX580  Gb which is a bit weaker then 1660 Ti. I set on medium by default and than I raised few settings on high, like volumetric clouds. My performance is around of 40-60 fps in GA and with complex scenery and complex airplanes (FBW A320, Inibuilds A310), I have around 30-35 fps which is fine. I play like you on 1080P.

On Xplane 11 I had worse performance and it was a stutterfest while the graphic is nowhere comparable with msfs.

12 hours ago, s0cks said:

Bear in mind, interpolation on TV's tend to introduce a lot input latency, which may or may not be an issue depending on what and how you fly. Worth a try nevertheless.

In my case its not a lot. Sure if you go looking for it you will see that the deliberate movement of a joystick using frame interpolation at 24hz is out of sync with its onscreen counterpart by a small fraction of a second. If the computation of the interpolated frame is instantaneous I think the lag would be about 1/24 of a second. maybe its a bit more and as I've said if you go looking for it you can see it but if your not setting out to find it, it might as well not be there. It is pros and cons. Likewise with 4000 series GPU's frame generation must cause a lag too. How can you interpolate a point between two given sequential points without waiting for the second point?

On 4/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, FBW737 said:

Sure, the name used for the feature varies depending on the manufacturer and model. Mine is a Samsung UN6900. So on the TV remote I press the setting button and the on screen menu appears. Then its Picture> Expert setting>  Auto Motion Plus Settings> Judder Reduction. Judder reduction is accomplished by interpolation an extra frame between each frame received from the GPU i.e. frame generation. On my TV you can set Judder Reduction from 0 to 10. I have it set to 10 because I find that setting works best for me. The other thing you have to do I set the refresh rate in NCP and turn on Vsync in the game. So for example if you can maintain more than 30fps in game with your setting then set your refresh rate to 30hz (even better 29hz because its the same result a slightly easier on the hardware). In this case the TV's built in hardware will turn the 30/29fps its gets form the GPU into 60/58fps on screen. likewise if you can only maintain 24+ fps then set your refresh rate to 24hz for 48fps on screen.

If you get it to work you'll see some pros and cons. I certainly did when I came across this completely serendipitously about 3 years ago but I've managed to iron out nearly all the wrinkles. You might have to incourage the Judder reduction to kick in if you don't see it immediately. To do this go into NCP and change the refresh rate 29/30hz to 24hz and then back to 30hz. That ought to do it.

One tip is to reduce your panning speed.

in a flight then bring the Judder reduction filter slider up on screen with the TV and slide it back and forward between 0 and 10 and what what happens on the screen.

If you get it to work properly you won't believe you eyes.😁

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, this won't be an easy trial as the 4K TV is currently hanging on the wall on one floor of the house with the flightsim rig being on another !