Sign in to follow this  
John Fields

HAWAII TEXTURES

Hi, everyone,

What do you think of Hawaii terrain textures? I recognize that Oceania is an area where I fly very rarely. But after the WU13 update, I thought there would have been major improvements. So today I visited PHKO (Kona) and, later, I flew around PHNL (Honolulu). 

Sincerely, I don't like at all what I have seen. Perhaps it would be more interesting not updating such large geographical areas and concentrated, with each update, on smaller areas.

Greetings.

I have many of the Hawaii add-ons (vessel traffic / airports) so my experience may be different than yours. However, I agree that the SU13 difference is small. I don’t see any additional water masks or better mesh. Maybe I just haven’t come across the better enhancements yet.  That being said, I do love Hawaii flights.   

• Like 1

yes was disappointed with Big Island, hoped to see updated high res textures but perhaps the imagery just doesnt exist

Oahu was improved, especially the water masks around Honolulu 

• Like 2

Yes, very disappointed. Had to check to see if I had gone offline. Thought this would be fixed.

Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi  i9900K, 64gb memory, 3070ti

Building: X670 Aorus Elite AX, X9750x3d, GSkill DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 32gb, Gibabyte 3070ti, Noctua NH D15

Aside from the terminal at PHOG Kahului Airport (Maui) completely missing, I'm generally liking what I've seen.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Guest Floaty Potato

I think veteran users especially need to keep WU expectations in check. They're obviously updating these regions due to some sort of new imagery, but let's face it: they probably aren't getting their hands on insanely improved images over what they had previously. 

I'm just a simple manatee, I try to remember my mangrove forest is the product of many years development. I try to see sim updates in the same way. 

I worked on a project prior to the pandemic developing Hawaii for Aerofly 2. Concentrating on the Bing orthos and they weren't the best with a lot of over saturated greens. I haven't fired the update up in MSFS yet but from the screenshots I've seen, the aerial images don't appear to have changed much, if any since when I was working on that project.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Not only mediocre textures, but building placement is also much less accurate than I've been spoiled by previously. Tons of buildings seem misaligned from their orthophoto footprints, something Blackshark has made me unaccustomed to seeing in the last few years..

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Haven't done the update yet...but, this doesn't sound great.  I have used G***le imagery on another project and it's very good.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

1 hour ago, Donka said:

I worked on a project prior to the pandemic developing Hawaii for Aerofly 2

I liked that scenery. Thanx!

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Tons of buildings seem misaligned from their orthophoto footprints, something Blackshark has made me unaccustomed to seeing in the last few years..

You find that quite often in those areas. I flew a circle around Tahiti and saw the same thing, including patches where there is no footprint of any house on the satelite image.

It seems that what Blackshark draws is extremely dependant on OSM data. If the OSM data is not showing the shape of a house then Blackshark does not draw anything at all. And if that shape in OSM deviates from the satelite image, it will also only draw what OSM data shows. The only thing that Blackshark takes into consideration from the satelite image seems to be the colour of the roof.

Quite some AI that is not capable to recognize on its own what a building is from a satelite image even after having been fed millions of them through OSM data...

11 minutes ago, Farlis said:

It seems that what Blackshark draws is extremely dependant on OSM data.

I'm not sure this statement is correct. Where did you see that? From my understanding it uses AI to figure out from satellite imagery where a building should be, not only the rooftop colour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

I'm not sure this statement is correct. Where did you see that? From my understanding it uses AI to figure out from satellite imagery where a building should be, not only the rooftop colour.

Everywhere where OSM is sparse or non existant.

My impression was that Blackshark scans satellite-imagery/orthophotos for building footprints, then sometimes uses other available data from Osm and etc. for building usage, heights and additional information to help the ai decide exactly its looking at and should place on the footprint.

• Like 1

Devons rig

Seriously? No sort of work for PHNL at all in this WU? That place needs love and attention bad.

Maybe another dev has big plans for Honolulu? So MS/Asobo left it alone?

Airports

• A collection of highlands dirt airstrips in Papua New Guinea
  • Easter Island’s Mataveri International Airport (SCIP)
  • Hawaii’s Kona International Airport (PHKO)
  • Nusatupe Airport (AGGN) on the Solomon Islands
  • Bora Bora Airport (NTTB) in French Polynesia
  • Moorea Airport (NTTM) in French Polynesia

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2