Sign in to follow this  
Jaxsimmer

Why didn't ASOBO use MS Flight code?

On 4/30/2023 at 9:32 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Don’t you already own a licence for P3D or XP?

I have a licence for XP11. Not XP12. I do not see any sense in supporting two sims given the cost and do not regret switching to MSFS which, it seems to me, offers outstanding value for money and makes better use of my hardware.

• Like 1

In terms of the original topic.

The most likely answer is they 100% own the IP to the FSX code whereas FS Flight most likely has other parties involved who would be entitled to royalty on every copy sold.

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The most likely answer is they 100% own the IP to the FSX code whereas FS Flight most likely has other parties involved who would be entitled to royalty on every copy sold.

Probably also just the sort of thing that will prevent MSFS from being a commercial use product, that and the various licensing and agreements tied to it.

I suppose they could strip it out but who knows what would be left.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

16 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Makes perfect sense. Peloto, thanks for the run down memory lane. Flight had so much potential so many years ago. What a shame.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jaxsimmer said:

Makes perfect sense. Peloto, thanks for the run down memory lane. Flight had so much potential so many years ago. What a shame.

Lots of potential, lots of horrible business decisions. When it was canceled, there were just two relatively small areas to fly in... Hawaii and a small region in Alaska.

• Upvote 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

how does all this matter now that we have MSFS?

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

18 hours ago, Rogen said:

Probably also just the sort of thing that will prevent MSFS from being a commercial use product, that and the various licensing and agreements tied to it.

I hope MSFS can bring back at least the coconut bra mission, it was such an excitement.

If we have to go by what Asobo has said, I feel like this speculation is moot at this point. There isn't much left of FSX in MSFS and what does remain was not overhauled in Flight either (ATC for instance)

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

The team behind Flight was a early incarnation of the current Gears of War team, I really doubt their decision was due to not owning the code.

Simple fact is Flight really didn't bring a whole lot to the table that MSFS didn't replace itself, the flight modeling might've been better than X, but if you're gonna replace it like Asobo did that doesn't really matter. Same could be said of it having a better Alaska & Hawaii, the advancements made with Azure made that pretty redundant. Reverting back to the platform that everyone in flight simming knew how to develop for already, and had features like ATC & AI traffic still implemented are likely what pushed them to use FSX as a base.

The only real elements I can say I miss are the jobs, and aerocaches, well kind of. The jobs were a nice way of finding something to do if you were bored and couldn't think of something yourself, personally not really a problem I have with FS, but I can appreciate the thought. Although it also does make me wish they went further and went full on Euro Truck career mode, having to purchase bases, aircraft, and try and keep your company in the green. As for the aerocaches they were fun and a nice way to encourage some exploration and dumb stunts. That said as fun as they could be they definitely clashed with the sim aspects, I wouldn't want it back in MSFS, and landmarks kind of serve that purpose anyways in MSFS and in a way that isn't encouraging you to pull 10Gs under a bridge with your Icon.

Edited by Jnin
Paragraph split.
  • Like 1