Sign in to follow this  
Jaxsimmer

Why didn't ASOBO use MS Flight code?

Just a general musing, but I seem to remember when Dovetail tried to restart the MS Flight Sim franchise years ago there were a couple of Aces programmers with inside knowledge who stated it was a big mistake for them to not use the MS Flight code, which was developed in 64 bit by Aces and was much more efficient, rather than trying to reuse the old FSX code and port it to 64Bit. I wonder if many of the issues we are seeing are related to the same decision by ASOBO to use the FSX code rather than the Flight code. Was it hubris, or were there things behind the scenes that made this direction the logical choice?

• Like 1

I guess in part using FSX code made it a bit easier (or at least look a bit easier) for third party devs familiar with FSX and P3D to transition to MSFS. (Plus things like Simconnect just worked making connecting to the sim with external tools substantially easier)

Whatever path Asobo took, it is working great. 

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Jaxsimmer said:

I wonder if many of the issues we are seeing are related to the same decision by ASOBO to use the FSX code

MSFS is clearly now the most superior flight sim we have enjoyed, but some simple issues have still been ignored.  So Yes!

"Folly 261, please expedite your ...."
"Aliegant 34, please expedite your..."
"Generic unknown, please expedite your..."
"all of you! please expedite your...."

Right out of FSX, word for word.....  That right along with runway assignments opposite of what would be assigned based on wind direction and speed.  

No worry. The 4/27 developmental update references changing the windsock direction....  Hopefully the windsocks are somehow signal-connected to ATIS/AWOS.  Whoops, meant ATC.  word not allowed! Which did I mean.  Oh yes..  all of those.  And please expedite!  Already been 30 months! 30 months?  Good Grief Charley Brown!  Please Expedite!

But there are MSFS unique issues.

Temperature 23, Dew Point 10
Temp 15, Dew Point 10
Temp 31, Dew Point 10

Temp -2, Dew Point 10 (seriously?)  Relative Humidity of -35% ????  Oh my!  Also after 30 months! Please Expedite!

image.png.e27539d45fb237cdb38555945e73e0bd.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 6

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 minutes ago, fppilot said:

MSFS is clearly now the most superior flight sim we have enjoyed, but some simple issues have still been ignored.  So Yes!

"Folly 261, please expedite your ...."
"Aliegant 34, please expedite your..."
"Generic unknown, please expedite your..."
"all of you! please expedite your...."

Right out of FSX, word for word.....  That right along with runway assignments opposite of what would be assigned based on wind direction and speed.  

No worry. The 4/27 developmental update references changing the windsock direction....  Hopefully the windsocks are somehow signal-connected to ATIS/AWOS.  Whoops, meant ATC.  word not allowed! Which did I mean.  Oh yes..  all of those.  And please expedite!  Already been 30 months! 30 months?  Good Grief Charley Brown!  Please Expedite!

But there are MSFS unique issues.

Temperature 23, Dew Point 10
Temp 15, Dew Point 10
Temp 31, Dew Point 10

Temp -2, Dew Point 10 (seriously?)  Relative Humidity of -35% ????  Oh my!  Also after 30 months! Please Expedite!

image.png.e27539d45fb237cdb38555945e73e0bd.png

Yeah, it isn't perfect. What sim is?

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I agree and think it is a fantastic product, and it will only get better. But I wonder how much time and money was wasted by not capitalizing on the massive amount of work by the Aces MS Flight team.

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah, it isn't perfect. What sim is?

None. But I chuckle that these that should be relatively simple have not been fixed.  Example: why in the sim even report a DP?  Or a directive for some AI flight to expedite?  Each of those adds nothing and each detract.  Seems senseless.  Perhaps my military service meteorology background gets in my way here.  Perhaps its just me puffing hot air too close to the windsocks... LOL

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

None. But I chuckle that these that should be relatively simple have not been fixed.  Example: why in the sim even report a DP?  Or a directive for some AI flight to expedite?  Each of those adds nothing and each detract.  Seems senseless.  Perhaps my military service meteorology background gets in my way here.  Perhaps its just me puffing hot air too close to the windsocks... LOL

Be careful, any criticism of MSFS, no matter how justified, will not be tolerated.

The tribalism has reached a new level.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Or a directive for some AI flight to expedite? 

It sounds like common ATC directive.  "Cessna niner bravo victor please expedite to alpha four. Cessna niner bravo victor please expedite to alpha four" What Asobo should add is "Citation three xray bravo go around, Cessna niner bravo victor possible pilot deviation, please advice when ready to copy a telephone number" After that Asobo should  block MSFS flying access for user until user go through some in sim training procedures. Now! We can talk about improvements LOL

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

19 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Be careful, any criticism of MSFS, no matter how justified, will not be tolerated.

The tribalism has reached a new level.

Not arguing one against another, so no tribal issue.  I now fly MSFS exclusively, for a year now. Just that simple issues need to be fixed.  Not much to argue there.

• Like 3

Frank Patton
ASUS 

4 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

It sounds like common ATC directive.

Please expedite is way way way out of proportion, and was in FSX as well.  Years of monitoring ATC and perhaps heard that instruction 5 times.   In years, not minutes.  Totally unrealistic.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

6 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Please expedite is way way way out of proportion, and was in FSX as well.  Years of monitoring ATC and perhaps heard that instruction 5 times.   In years, not minutes.  Totally unrealistic.

I've been flying over 20 years and around half of that time as a flight instructor. I'm still active and still do both .

You have to understand that each airport has different ops and pilot skill set. Those airports who operate with commercial ops most of the time have professional pilot flying in and out. So unlikely you would hear phrases used in airport where for example  several flight schools operate along with commercial ops and 100 dollar burger folks on the weekend . Here you can hear  a lot of  "no delays", "expedite" ," give me left 360", "extend downwind", " I call your base" ," best forward speed", "slowest practical speed", "proceed directly to the numbers" and personal favorite " unable, call me back in 15 minutes" LOL

• Like 8

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I've been flying over 20 years and around half of that time as a flight instructor. I'm still active and still do both .

You have to understand that each airport has different ops and pilot skill set. Those airports who operate with commercial ops most of the time have professional pilot flying in and out. So unlikely you would hear phrases used in airport where for example  several flight schools operate along with commercial ops and 100 dollar burger folks on the weekend . Here you can hear  a lot of  "no delays", "expedite" ," give me left 360", "extend downwind", " I call your base" ," best forward speed", "slowest practical speed", "proceed directly to the numbers" and personal favorite " unable, call me back in 15 minutes" LOL

I am speaking about MSFS.  Please expedite is virtually always up at commercial altitudess and is incessant with MSFS ATC.  Not in the realm of reality.  I traveled on business for 30 years, flying most often on United, our business partner.  I listened to United audio channel 9 to pass time during flights and do not recall even once hearing a please expedite call out on those frequencies.  I did hear it as part of takeoff instructions from KSNA - John Wayne/Orange County - and that was part of a noise abatement procedure.  And it was like expedite your climb to 3,000 then follow noise abatement procedure.  In MSFS it is most often like "generic whatever, please expedite your climb to FL370.  Over and over and over again.  I am speaking of oranges and you are responding about apples.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

58 minutes ago, fppilot said:

If anyone used Radar Contact v4 then they had a really good ATC program that issued sensible instructions. Those who moved from FSX / P3D to MSFS have to accept that the default program is no better than that in FSX. And unfortunately it seems unlikely that RC4 will ever work with MSFS.

All part of the pros and cons of moving. FSHud might satisfy those frustrated with the default.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And unfortunately it seems unlikely that RC4 will ever work with MSFS.

Ok, now I have my answer, thanks Ray. This is truly unfortunate... after a looong pause I finally succumbed to MSFS, coming from the FS2004 world without any FSX or P3D inbetween. While I'm still in awe how far - or better, how close to reality - this flight simulator has come, I sorely miss a sensible ATC. 

• Like 1