Sign in to follow this  
Jaxsimmer

Why didn't ASOBO use MS Flight code?

2 hours ago, Jure said:

Ok, now I have my answer, thanks Ray. This is truly unfortunate... after a looong pause I finally succumbed to MSFS, coming from the FS2004 world without any FSX or P3D inbetween. While I'm still in awe how far - or better, how close to reality - this flight simulator has come, I sorely miss a sensible ATC. 

It all depends on what’s important to you. I agree MSFS has the best looking scenery but the advances made in P3D since the days of FSX make it very acceptable to me. And that allows me to enjoy the benefits P3D gives me including RC4.

There’s no rule saying you can only have one simulator installed. 😉

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Oh yes there is! My bank has a rule which says I must not exceed my overdraft limit or else! 😃

Edited by jarmstro

11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Oh yes there is! My bank has a rule which says I must not exceed my overdraft limit or else! 😃

Don’t you already own a licence for P3D or XP?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

True, but to my surprise, my priorities changed with MSFS. Before I was a tubeliner flyer with all major add-on aircraft, countless add-on airports and whatnot. Now, after a few months with MSFS I find myself enjoying GA aircraft, mostly Milviz C310, Beech D18, DC-3 and such. And I have no desire for more at the moment. If anything, I do miss Ralph Tofflemire's B747-200 but even that is probably more nostalgia than anything else. I'm getting old or something... 🙂

Ok, I've gone completely off-topic now, so I should stop. 

@Jure, if you now prefer VFR flying which MSFS is best for then that’s fine.

I’ve always been an IFR fan with only occasional forays into VFR. For those I use the Carenado PC12 and the superb Vertx DA-62. For IFR I fly the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25, PMDG737 and FSL Concorde albeit in the 32-bit P3Dv3 until such time they release the 64-bit version.

That’s enough from me. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

MSFS is also the best for GA IFR as it turns out 

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

30 minutes ago, Krakin said:

MSFS is also the best for GA IFR as it turns out 

Yup. MSFS has the best default G1000 (NXi). And from my understanding, MSFS also has the best default G3000 and G5000. I think someone posted that even compared to payware alternatives, MSFS still has the best G3000?  I believe MSFS has the best default GNS 430 and GNS 530 too, although I have read that if you fork out the money, there are better payware GNS 430 and GNS 530 out there on the other flight sim platforms?

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

19 hours ago, Jaxsimmer said:

I agree and think it is a fantastic product, and it will only get better. But I wonder how much time and money was wasted by not capitalizing on the massive amount of work by the Aces MS Flight team.

It really depends on how they coded all of that work. It is possible that by using the previous work, Asobo would have been forced into doing other things in a manner that they wouldn't otherwise do in other areas of the sim. Flight did not have CFD, for example. Asobo would have had to completely redo the Flight flight model in order to make it work with CFD. Seems to me that it would be harder to write a new one if you are constrained by the structure of previous work written by someone who had a similar but different goals for the final product in their head when they were writing it.

I've always found it much easier to write new code while referring to the previous version's code. That way, I can completely avoid any constraints introduced by the previous version, while still having the luxury of being able to use anything done previously that will also work in my code.      

17 hours ago, fppilot said:

Please expedite is way way way out of proportion, and was in FSX as well.  Years of monitoring ATC and perhaps heard that instruction 5 times.   In years, not minutes.  Totally unrealistic.

A sure sign that NOBODY at Asobo ever flies IFR. If they did, they surely would feel as frustrated as we are over this. 😠

The other one that really bothers me is when it actually gives me the proper altitudes all the way through the STAR (giving me the false sense of security that it is going to work properly throughout the landing) and then directs me back to cruise altitude within 15 miles of the destination airport. Grrrr...

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve always been an IFR fan with only occasional forays into VFR. For those I use the Carenado PC12 and the superb Vertx DA-62. For IFR I fly the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25, PMDG737 and FSL Concorde albeit in the 32-bit P3Dv3 until such time they release the 64-bit version.

That’s enough from me. 😁

As I am a poor ign0rant newbie😉 , I’d be glad to hear your explain us why MSFS is best for VFR and then, by inference, I suppose from what you say,  not as good as an IFR plateform.

From some hundreds hours of flying, I see it has all the beacons necessary and almost perfect default Garmin (better than anything I had in P3D). The weather provides IMC harsh conditions (visibility, precipitations, etc.). If you equates IFR and airliners, a common mistake, it has at least as good big iron as P3D. Like your beloved 737. It has all the Navigraph stuff.   The default ATC is nothing to talk home about but it is the same than in P3D. So what MSFS misses to be a a IFR plateform as good as  P3D ?

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 7

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

6 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I’d be glad to hear your explain us why MSFS is best for VFR and then, by inference, I suppose from what you say,  not as good as an IFR plateform.

I'm not getting into this debate again. I've expressed my reasons before and been pillored for it. You  enjoy your sim and I'll enjoy mine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm not getting into this debate again. I've expressed my reasons before and been pillored for it. You  enjoy your sim and I'll enjoy mine.

Indeed. But you keep repeating the same, Ray, on the MSFS forum, for whatever reasons. So we need to keep repeating that you don’t bring much to substantiate it. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Indeed. But you keep repeating the same, Ray, on the MSFS forum, for whatever reasons. So we need to keep repeating that you don’t bring much to substantiate it. 

What exactly am I repeating? That MSFS is better than P3D for VFR? Does that offend your sensibilities.

Just a reminder all opinions should be respected. A suitable time to remind you of Bob Scott's post in this very forum.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

What exactly am I repeating? That MSFS is better than P3D for VFR? Does that offend your sensibilities.

Just a reminder all opinions should be respected. A suitable time to remind you of Bob Scott's post in this very forum.

I respect so much your opinion that I ask for more. If my English is not at a loss here, you say that MSFS is best for VFR means it is less good for something else, namely IFR. So I would be glad to know more of your views as it is an unconventional opinion at least with all those who have the sim installed on their computer and use it.

• Like 1

Dominique

6 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

you say that MSFS is best for VFR means it is less good for something else, namely IFR. So I would be glad to know more of your views as it is an unconventional opinion at least with all those who have the sim installed on their computer and use it.

Your're inferring I said something that I didn't. It reminds me of the wife who asked her husband which dress he preferred - the red one or the blue one. He said red. She replied so you don't like me in the blue dress. 😁

My preference for any sim is dictated by the aircraft available for it. P3D has them. MSFS has some but not all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That’s enough from me. 😁

I fly IFR on every flight I do , either in tubeliners, or the Cessna 310, Kodiak, and Arrow 3, . What I love about MSFS, is the realistic scenery, which looks like what I see out the window when I am flying in real life. P3D never looked like that, even with hundreds and hundreds of dollars of add on scenery, weather, tweaking, etc, etc. Just yesterday I flew around Japan, Italy, and Brazil.  Try that in P3D. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310