Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

Persistant Stutter

Hi Guys,

I've looked through so many of the stutter threads here and on Flight Sim tech support till I'm blue in the face. but cant find any that specifically address or at any rate provide a solution for a persistant stutter, on average about once every three seconds or so while absolutely still on sparse ground in the middle of Australia. 

AJFCJaU-TyeERC1wZ1OM1nTCRiW-WUZrEkceSYM4AJFCJaX7cJwU0aiBdloDeuwdyMsPwcCdhsczSary

You can see the spike there and it drops the FPS down about 3 FPS every spike. 

I have deliberately curtailed as much as I can so that the CPU is hardly breathing and I am being limited by GPU but in the green. So I am on the ground at YMAG a very sparse,feild with the Cessna 152 a simple aircraft.

All AI                                     OFF

All Land and sea traffic        OFF

Wx                                        Clear Skies

Bing Maps                           ON    (have disconnected Internet and spikes still occurred)

PG                                       OFF

Live Wx                              OFF

Multiplayer                         OFF

Rolling Cache                   OFF

Developer Mode               ON 

Global Rendering             LOW End

Nvidea CP                       120FPS

Monitor                            4160 x 2160 (120Hz) 

DX11                               ON

TAA                                 ON

VSync                             50% refresh rate.

I have also tried DX12(beta) but nothing I do seems to change this. The fact that nothing seems to affect iit, reduce it or stop it, is as though it from outside the programme?

Any ideas? 

Edit:  Added Nvidea Performance Overlay

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Set vsync to 1/3 refresh rate and report back.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

17 minutes ago, somiller said:

Set vsync to 1/3 refresh rate and report back.

Now 40FPS.  This obviously changed the CPU/GPU balance but the stutter spike is still there.  As before it loses about 3FPS when it spikes.

AJFCJaXUvDlIKMxvlsadKKSN2tppJDJkrNrfsOFa

EDIT: My community folder is empty.   

Edited by Lord Farringdon

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

The first thing I would do is to open the Windows task manager (performance tab) to check if I can identify the cause which could be very well outside of the sim.

This is, of course, knowing that the Community folder is disabled and using a default aircraft.  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

What happens if you turn off online functionality?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

18 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The first thing I would do is to open the Windows task manager (performance tab) to check if I can identify the cause which could be very well outside of the sim.

This is, of course, knowing that the Community folder is disabled and using a default aircraft.  

Hi Dominique,

The Community folder is empty and it is a default aircraft. 

There are  only four apps in play: 

AJFCJaXoWivHPk_9qgjvdYpo07DJNU-nIJEAQrvY  

There are no other widows or background tasks that are doing anything of significance or in sequence with the spiking. 

Logical Processor 15 is doing all the heavy lifting (the main thread) with a couple of others helping while most of the others are loafing about or idle.

Again nothing in the way of spikes or jumps to indiocate something is happening in the CPU that might be affecting instructions to the GPU. But the output from the windows performance monitor seems to be at a very low sample rate so there could still be something hiding there I guess? 

AJFCJaWAxSx80GpzUUuYDgXBa8OX6e5Md2qhl9Co 

How about ditch Chrome while running MSFS. Don't know about Chrome, but Firefox can be hard on my system if running while I'm flying in MSFS.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

17 minutes ago, somiller said:

What happens if you turn off online functionality?

Sorry, I did say I had turned off the internet before but I should have said on line functionality. But I have just tried that again, and no difference is seen. 

12 minutes ago, somiller said:

How about ditch Chrome while running MSFS. Don't know about Chrome, but Firefox can be hard on my system if running while I'm flying in MSFS.

I ended the Chrome task for about 10 minutes but again no change in the spiking. 

I have no problems with FPS and the normal stutters I get at heavy airports or with heavy AI activity are easily explained away as simply system bottlenecks assocaited with me using ultra everywhere!  

Anyway. It's late here in NZ and I need to get some slumber so thanks for your help guys. In the absence of anyone else experiencing this persistent spiking I assume it may be something to do with my rig, perhaps a discrete in the mobo or the graphics card on it's way out?  😬.

Might have to live with it until something incurable happens! 

Cheers

Terry   

Having the same problem, but in my case the stutter only occurs if I am over a very busy airport or a TIN city.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

3 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Hi Guys,

I've looked through so many of the stutter threads here and on Flight Sim tech support till I'm blue in the face. but cant find any that specifically address or at any rate provide a solution for a persistant stutter, on average about once every three seconds or so while absolutely still on sparse ground in the middle of Australia. 

AJFCJaU-TyeERC1wZ1OM1nTCRiW-WUZrEkceSYM4AJFCJaX7cJwU0aiBdloDeuwdyMsPwcCdhsczSary

You can see the spike there and it drops the FPS down about 3 FPS every spike. 

I have deliberately curtailed as much as I can so that the CPU is hardly breathing and I am being limited by GPU but in the green. So I am on the ground at YMAG a very sparse,feild with the Cessna 152 a simple aircraft.

All AI                                     OFF

All Land and sea traffic        OFF

Wx                                        Clear Skies

Bing Maps                           ON    (have disconnected Internet and spikes still occurred)

PG                                       OFF

Live Wx                              OFF

Multiplayer                         OFF

Rolling Cache                   OFF

Developer Mode               ON 

Global Rendering             LOW End

Nvidea CP                       120FPS

Monitor                            4160 x 2160 (120Hz) 

DX11                               ON

TAA                                 ON

VSync                             50% refresh rate.

I have also tried DX12(beta) but nothing I do seems to change this. The fact that nothing seems to affect iit, reduce it or stop it, is as though it from outside the programme?

Any ideas? 

Edit:  Added Nvidea Performance Overlay

Regular interval stutters? Anti-virus or windows defender. Exclude the MSFS folders (all of them, community older, offical folder, app data folder etc.) and see if it stops.

If you have Nvidia Reflex enabled in game, turn it off, also turn it off in NCP and see if that makes any difference, I noticed my mainthread times were a lot higher with it on (I get that its designed to be just in time but seems pointless from my experience)

This is usually a result of something running in the background, typically a virus checker or anti malware application.

Have you excluded your flight simulator folder/drive from these?

You could just turn off any antivirus or anti malware programs you are using temporarily just to test.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

3 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Might have to live with it until something incurable happens! 

Are you running the Steam version?  Another Steam user found that Steam would start a background program every second or so..

Bert