Sign in to follow this  
UAL4life

No more live weather thunderstorms?

2 hours ago, Alvega said:

There are thunderstorms now, did you miss my post on top of this page? 

Regarding what you call metar "bubbles", before the metar integration you would load a flight in an airport, push the metar and the weather would have nothing to do with it, like metar reporting overcast and you would see clear skies. Do you really think that is more realistic than what we have now?

Exactly. This is why MSFS was unusable by VATSIM users. Now MSFS can be used on VATSIM and the other ATC networks.  For VATSIM users, live weather has improved a lot since the start of MSFS.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, abrams_tank said:

Exactly. This is why MSFS was unusable by VATSIM users. Now MSFS can be used on VATSIM and the other ATC networks.  For VATSIM users, live weather has improved a lot since the start of MSFS.

But it hasn't improved for other users, that's the point, this Sim isn't all about VATSim users remember 😉

Sure they've worked on it since SU7 but there's no denying they've made a complete mess of it, the evidence is clear.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

7 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Not only for VATSIM users, I don't use VATSIM and I also think it has improved.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

19 hours ago, Damian Clark said:

Really?  I wonder why they are now seriously considering it, when previously they had no intention of opening it up?  It seems in the video that the public feedback and support for it was significant, relentless, and a factor?  In my several years in add-on development, I've seen public feedback have dramatic influence on decisions by the developers.  It certainly has been the primary driving factor for HiFi's development decisions.  But maybe you're right and it doesn't matter at all and we should just stop advocating entirely for this and maybe everything else.  Or maybe not?

Agree almost entirely on your other points.

Well I meant just the avsim crowd... but given that the wishlist item is #4 on the all-time list https://www.flightsimulator.com/feedback-snapshot/ (actual request: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/open-up-the-weather-system-write-access-to-3rd-party-devs/266706, 1159 votes) it certainly is popular outside of avsim, and given what Jorg mentioned on the recent Q&A hopefully it changes from "Not planned" to something more tangible soon. The fact that it has been in "Not planned" looks likely not due to lack of popularity, so they must've had other reasons some of which Jorg alluded to in the call.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I really don't get why people say weather was good before they introduced METARs: there was hardly ever the correct weather at the airport, why it was better?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

I really don't get why people say weather was good before they introduced METARs: there was hardly ever the correct weather at the airport, why it was better?

OFC it wasn't better, and METAR weather was fundamental to bring weather depiction to much more realistic values.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

7 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

I matched live weather just fine pre-SU7, used windy.com and the winds were matching, rain, clouds (albeit not all the types of course), thunderstorms & hurricanes all there as per real life.

Whether or not it was "fully correct" at the airport didn't matter that much to me, I'm not one to need perfect matching conditions, as long as it was 'close enough' that was fine by me....but then METAR update came along and the rest is history!

That's not too say it's the same as SU7 now, says they've obviously worked on it but IMO it's still not back to what it was like. Hopefully they'll get there but I don't have much confidence in the team, they do what M$ tell them to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

11 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I matched live weather just fine pre-SU7, used windy.com and the winds were matching, rain, clouds (albeit not all the types of course), thunderstorms & hurricanes all there as per real life.

Whether or not it was "fully correct" at the airport didn't matter that much to me, I'm not one to need perfect matching conditions, as long as it was 'close enough' that was fine by me....but then METAR update came along and the rest is history!

That's not too say it's the same as SU7 now, says they've obviously worked on it but IMO it's still not back to what it was like. Hopefully they'll get there but I don't have much confidence in the team, they do what M$ tell them to do.

It didn't work fine at all. Official sources for airports are METARs not windy.com. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

It didn't work fine at all. Official sources for airports are METARs not windy.com. 

Read my post again 🙂

26 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Whether or not it was "fully correct" at the airport didn't matter that much to me

Most times it wasn't even close.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

2 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Most times it wasn't even close.

Ok I'll agree to disagree 🙂

20 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Ok I'll agree to disagree 🙂

For VATSIM and other ATC network users, it wasn't even close. Now it is close for VATSIM users.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

matching METAR is important for flight planning in general.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

METAR says 'KSPG 252005Z 33005G14KT 1 3/4SM +TSRA SCT033 BKN050 OVC065 24/19 A2972 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT NE AND E P0009 T02440194'

and yet a circle of clear sky around the airport

yWV32qh.png

heSSAaV.png

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

OFC it wasn't better, and METAR weather was fundamental to bring weather depiction to much more realistic values.

Erm....... hopefully it won't get your back up too much to have 'realistic' questioned and 'compliant' offered as an alternative. I think you know better than most of us how horribly off the mark metar can be, and when you have such a density of unreliable and conflicting weather reports as there are flying over the US or EU, it really is a recipe for a very 'unrealistic' flight simulation, even if the start and finish generally match the local metar. Possibly immersive for process simmers, but not for many others. Frankly, the most satisfying and consistent (I hesitate to say 'realistic') weather I get is over the Middle East or Africa, I'm guessing precisely because of the dearth of metar.

As for OP topic, I do see thunder storms fairly regularly over central Africa and Australia, but not much elsewhere. Certainly something off about it and I hope and trust it's on a bucket list somewhere of improvements. And on that, I do hope someone from MS/Asobo will give us some clear signals pretty soon that improvements are coming for weather. There's been a lot of dissatisfaction voiced on pretty much every platform about clouds and weather since SU7, but AFAIK they haven't touched it on the dev streams for a very long time.

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea