Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Which would you rather have?

A railroading friend sent me a video of a private rail car hooked to the rear of an Amtrak train.

I would like to have one and afford to maintain it and crew and it pay to hook it up to the rear of any train going to where I wished to go at the time.

I love riding trains.  I also love riding in airplanes.  And sailing in sailboats.

So my question is if you could afford one, but only one, of the following which would you choose?

A private rail car?

A private business jet?

A yacht?

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Is Noel one of the choices?   Don't want that!  Maybe a private jet that runs on used french fry oil! 🍟

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I think I would go for a rail car, despite my obsession with flight simming. You could hook it on any cargo train with minimal resources. A private jet is cool, but I am all for efficiency 🙂

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

Is Noel one of the choices?   Don't want that! 

I have a feeling of rejection coming on.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Actually that's quite a poser. A yacht? Mmm, Too confining for too long. Railway carriage? I envisage a LOT of faffing getting it all organised.

Private jet? Yeah, private jet every time and sod the planet. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

tried fishing  from a  train or  aircraft 🙂

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I'd take the yacht. I love trains, and flying, but the water...

A Noel wouldn't be bad either.

Edited by Penzoil3

Born is the King of Israel !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I'd go with the jet, provided I could still get at least a 2nd class medical. But the rail car does sound tempting. I used to want to sail around the world, so the yacht would have been good, but I can't shake the fear of crashing into a whale, or another ship, or encountering pirates. If I couldn't get a medical I'd definitely go with the rail car though. Hopefully also be able to transport it between continents on a ship and adjust the axles for different gauges, go everywhere they have rails. 

Well.. after having done lots of NMs in the (obviously virtual) CL650, the HJET and various similar types of aircraft I would say the private jet. 

Imagine being so filthy stinking rich to afford one of those things. To be able to, on a whim, just take the wife and kids and fly to a nice place away from everything. Man, that would be something.

Need to become some kind of billionaire first, though. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

The yacht.  One large enough where I could land my helicopter, and it would have a (model) Train Room. 😀

• Like 1

This article is from 2022 regarding private railcars and Amtrak:

You Can Own a Private Rail Car and Hook It Up to an Amtrak Train | Apartment Therapy

However, I recall reading sometime within the last six months that Amtrak has suspended allowing private railcars due to liability issues among other reasons...

Many decades ago when I owned South Texas Radio and Telcom, I had a contract to install and maintain the radio system for the King Ranch in Kingsville, TX. One of my tasks was to equip Martine Clements (one of the scions of the King family) private railcar. It cost Martine a small fortune to have the railcar parked in a trainyard near Austin, TX. He rarely used it. As far as I know during the time I knew him only once. He took six friends with him to the Superbowl in Louisiana.

He inherited the railcar from his maternal grandfather, a retired President of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator