Sign in to follow this  
Howellerman

GPS Flight Plans Messed Up?

Greetings!

I recently upgraded to 5.4, no problems. EXCEPT: Pre-loaded flight plans do not "follow the magenta line". The loaded aircraft does not respond to the GPS assignment.

For example, I tried tonight to fly from KTTD (Portland Troutdale) to KORS (Orcas Island). I input the pre-defined flight plan at startup and found that it was "visible" in both GPS 1.6 (a great freeware utility, by the way) and in the Navigation drop-down menu in P3D. However, try as I might the aircraft (I tried the Carenado Saratoga, the A2A Bonanza, and the RealAir Duke) failed to recognize and engage the GPS autopilot function. The destination on the GNS was FEGBA, which we all know is in the Degma quadrant in the Trafalmador sector, so obviously something is wrong. 

I have not seen anything on the forums about flight plans gone haywire. I did see that LM introduced new flight planning software, and I noticed on a prior flight a weird "loop-back" flight plan versus the normal ILS "feathers", but nothing about not following the GPS flightplan. I ran through the drop-down menus to see if anything changed but did not find anything.

Any hints? Reload P3DV5.4? Wait until V6?  😁

Thanks!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

There is normally a switch in the cockpit to switch from NAV to GPS. You will need to have that set to GPS when you engage autopilot and it will follow the route in the GPS . 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Using 5.4 from the release date and have not seen any issue with a GPS flight plan not tracking when the NAV source is selected to GPS.

Gary Stewart

As a quick test:

Move your saved plan to a backup location.

Start P3D and create / save the same route and test with a default P3D aircraft.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Just a quick update to those that responded (thanks!).

Mind-wiping P3DV5.4 and reloading all segments has done the trick. 

I think 5.4 is likely going to be my last stop on the Prepar3D train so I am taking my time and reloading/re-installing and verifying every feature/add-on each step of the way. I want the finished product to be stable and smooth.

Maybe if Chase Plane comes around on V6 I will move forward...   

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I just installed Prepar3DV5,4 and I cannot put a flight plan using the flight planner  It takes me all over the world  I put in CYHZ to CYUL and wound up going to the north west territories and back  I took out most of the waypoints and the red line still went all over and when I clicked on save it just sits there for a few minutes 

I agree with this, 5.4 takes a huge amount of time to generate/load fight plans. I'm not sure what has happened. I try now to download them from the flightplandatabase.com website especially flying long haul.

On 7/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, Howellerman said:

Just a quick update to those that responded (thanks!).

Mind-wiping P3DV5.4 and reloading all segments has done the trick. 

I think 5.4 is likely going to be my last stop on the Prepar3D train so I am taking my time and reloading/re-installing and verifying every feature/add-on each step of the way. I want the finished product to be stable and smooth.

Maybe if Chase Plane comes around on V6 I will move forward...   

Glad to hear the flight plans are working.

I got Chaseplane for P3D6 and it works great.

Best Regards,

21 hours ago, bd515 said:

I just installed Prepar3DV5,4 and I cannot put a flight plan using the flight planner  It takes me all over the world  I put in CYHZ to CYUL and wound up going to the north west territories and back  I took out most of the waypoints and the red line still went all over and when I clicked on save it just sits there for a few minutes 

I did your plan (victor airways) and all ok.

Which route type did you have a problem with?

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Gents, I don’t think I’ve ever loaded a flight plan directly into P3D using their system.

I have Aivlasoft’s EFB which integrates really well including adding additional waypoints even during a flight. All the easier too when you have a second PC and monitor.

Alternatively you can use the feature in the payware version of FSUIPC to load a plan.

Lastly, loading it into Active Sky will also work.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Gents, I don’t think I’ve ever loaded a flight plan directly into P3D using their system.

I have Aivlasoft’s EFB which integrates really well including adding additional waypoints even during a flight. All the easier too when you have a second PC and monitor.

Alternatively you can use the feature in the payware version of FSUIPC to load a plan.

Lastly, loading it into Active Sky will also work.

And you didn't mention Simbrief/Navigraph (also payware), which loads directly into a multitude of options including P3D and PMDG.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

3 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

And you didn't mention Simbrief/Navigraph (also payware), which loads directly into a multitude of options including P3D and PMDG.

Probably because I don’t use either. 😉

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I quit using PFPX and Aivlasoft’s EFB years ago.

I use Little Navmap (free/donation) in addition to Simbrief (free), Navigraph (payware),  FSBuild (payware) and the default P3Dv4/5/6 flight planners.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Regarding flight planning software, I have used Plan-G for years as it can create flight plans for almost all the simulators and hardware options i.e., GTN devices. Tim is also very receptive to feedback and suggestions.

What the ultimate solution that worked in all cases is reloading the flight plan in P3D after the flight has been launched. 

I have to say P3DV5.4 is really kind of frustrating. It broke the flight planning "default" operation, and apparently some of the XML processing that is used my the MilViz aircraft.

I am holding onto hope for Orbx to "port" to V6: since I own almost the entire Orbx catalogue the formal support is required before I jump.

John Howell

P3D's built-in flight planner is absolute word not allowed.

I use Little Navmap and export the P3D compatible flight plans to the P3D files folder.  This little utility is awesome.  It can use Navigraph data, as well as scan the P3D database to get all the airport data.  I've had it automatically calculate a few flight plans and it has generated the same as what Simbrief provides.

I usually use Simbrief for detailed flight plans which include SIDs and STARs.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS