Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

Helisimmer Interviews Jorg and Seb on 2024 and More

When they say they achieved already 5x the performance when compared to msfs 2020, they are saying they are offloading the mainthread, meaning they can improve everything related to cpu calculations. 

But yeah, in the end, as we won’t be limited by mainthread anymore, our GPUs will achieve higher frames on situations where on 2020 our CPUs would struggle.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

6 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Not at all. Based on all their interviews so far, putting more things in the cloud is pretty much about having a thinner client. 

The performance gains are more about improvements on the engine + focus on multi threading.

One aspect of the living world that I feel is missing so far are the trains. Not on my priority list and maybe they didn’t find live data to feed the simulator, but would be nice to have trains worldwide (again, not a priority to me, but would add to the immersion).

Absolutely.

The article also states they're trying to get AI helo traffic in there right now, so we'll see how that goes.

Trains are always cool - especially those 7 locomotive mile-long monsters 🙂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pstrub said:

A word of caution: Most of their comments mentioning the huge performance improvements were made in the context of the simulation of the rotor blades and aerodynamics, allowing them to improve the fidelity of the aerodynamical simulation.

Unless they mention this very specifically, I would NOT expect the performance improvements to translate into 5x better framerates. 

Yeah, you're not getting a 5X performance uplift on visuals unless your previous version was literally broken, lol.

That kind of streamlining of the computational side of things is still a big deal though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ca_metal said:

One aspect of the living world that I feel is missing so far are the trains. Not on my priority list and maybe they didn’t find live data to feed the simulator, but would be nice to have trains worldwide (again, not a priority to me, but would add to the immersion).

Not on my priority list either but I agree, this would be nice to have. Maybe in MSFS 2028.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

3 hours ago, Scottoest said:

Yeah, you're not getting a 5X performance uplift on visuals unless your previous version was literally broken, lol.

That kind of streamlining of the computational side of things is still a big deal though.

It is, absolutely! And as they explained, it enables a lot of new stuff to be included in the flight model.

It's just that I can already hear the people crying about "...but they promised us 4-5x performance increase!" when their fps improve by double-digit percentages (which I still consider very good). It's important to have realistic expectations, and this seems particularly hard in flight simming 😉 

Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

4-5x the performance will be the new "10 year project" lol

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Redesigned Flight Dynamics based on Andrei's cooperation, something I was asking myself about how it could work given the limitations of the present FM. 

This is for me 90% of what I look fwd into 2024.

Even if it was "just" for this it would be more than sufficient to me to accept the new version as a mandatory update.

I know too well how addicted I became to IL2's Feel of Flight.

• Like 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

11 hours ago, pstrub said:

A word of caution: Most of their comments mentioning the huge performance improvements were made in the context of the simulation of the rotor blades and aerodynamics, allowing them to improve the fidelity of the aerodynamical simulation.

Unless they mention this very specifically, I would NOT expect the performance improvements to translate into 5x better framerates. 

Performance =/= frame rates, or at least frame rates are only one aspect of performance, just as performance in an automobile or airplane doesn’t necessarily mean high top speed.  

they have mentioned a few times that their performance increases were across the board, and based on moving items from the local machine to the cloud, and offloading stress on the main thread.  The smart simmer has always needed to limit frame output to favor smoothness, as any latency in moving everything through the bottlenecks causes stutters and hitches, hopefully this will end up easing that a bit, but in the end, if there is performance available, third party devs will fill it.  Maybe scenery devs will make the boarding kiosks operable, now that all the interior terminals are modeled /s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ShawnG said:

Performance =/= frame rates, or at least frame rates are only one aspect of performance, just as performance in an automobile or airplane doesn’t necessarily mean high top speed.  

That's what I wrote, but I've already seen a few comments where people were hoping for 2-4x framerates. While Seb spoke of performance improvements across the board, the 4-5x figures were specifically related to the physics calculations.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

Redesigned Flight Dynamics based on Andrei's cooperation, something I was asking myself about how it could work given the limitations of the present FM. 

This is for me 90% of what I look fwd into 2024.

Even if it was "just" for this it would be more than sufficient to me to accept the new version as a mandatory update.

I know too well how addicted I became to IL2's Feel of Flight.

Last night I was watching XP72's stream and I said there's a good chance 2024 will have a better flight model than X-Plane 12 and they laughed when I referenced the hot air balloon demo. People really don't understand how granular the physics model would have to be to pull that off and it lines up with what Seb said in this interview. Yes, it is a balloon but if the 2024 FM can make it behave like that, then the planes are definitely going to fly amazingly. It is going over people's heads but they chose that demo because it is the best way to visually demonstrate what the new FM is capable of.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Last night I was watching XP72's stream and I said there's a good chance 2024 will have a better flight model than X-Plane 12 and they laughed when I referenced the hot air balloon demo. 

Lol, they get really really triggered when topics of FM/physics come up and MSFS is mentioned in a positive light in regards to that (unsurprising I suppose given that's the only good thing about their precious) ... delusions and insecurities from them side, MSFS is forging ahead on all fronts including physics/aerodynamics. Paired with properly developed and implemented aircraft, the current MSFS 2020 platform is pretty darn good for aerodynamics/physics despite all the desperate talking points by some, and other sims are not appreciably better except in the one area of ground handling.. in any case it's going to get that much better with 2024, to the chagrin of some 🙂

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

20 hours ago, jcomm said:

As usual, great interview by Sérgio.

I had talked to him just before he left to FSExpo23, and he was already very enthusiastic about it and the perspectives on the upcoming fs2024.

It's a LOT of information, all of it great to know.

Portuguese power 💪😉

• Like 4

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

10 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Portuguese power 💪😉

🙂

Portugal & Spain are lovely, and powerfully rendered in their WU for MFS !!!!

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

9 hours ago, ShawnG said:

they have mentioned a few times that their performance increases were across the board, and based on moving items from the local machine to the cloud, and offloading stress on the main thread.

Yes, I do recall a couple of times in interviews Jorg and Seb saying items will be moved to the cloud in 2024 which used to be on our local drives in 2020. I presume an internet connection might be mandatory to play. 

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Yes, I do recall a couple of times in interviews Jorg and Seb saying items will be moved to the cloud in 2024 which used to be on our local drives in 2020. I presume an internet connection might be mandatory to play. 

Not mandatory, but without a connection the visual experience would be much worse. Just like in 2020. Also some services would be disabled (live traffic, weather etc).

AFAIK they will use more the cloud to accomplish a thinner client (they are also improving the network usage as much as possible to lower data consumption). 

The performance gains (AFAIK) were obtained with multi threading + engine optimizations.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 3

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel