Sign in to follow this  
TexasGary

Does MSFS Apply Real World Airport Updates?

My local airport is doing a major expansion project that includes a new longer runway and terminal building.  The old runway was 3586 feet, and it didn't have any IAPs.  The new runway is 5201 feet, and it has two published IAPs.  Will this new runway and terminal building be updated in the sim by ASOBO at some point?  Or is that just left up to someone out there to hopefully do a mod for it?    

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

I wouldn’t count on it- maybe when the new sim comes out, maaaaaybe. You’ll probably need to find a mod.

That being said, supposedly they are working on a scenery gateway like XPlane has, so maybe it’ll be crowdsourced in the future.

Edited by kiwikat

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I dont think so....just look at Hong Kong... whole new setup during the contruction works but the old one in the sim.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Thanks.  You're probably right.  I will just have to hope it happens in the new sim next year. When I used to live in Mt. Pleasant (KOSA) years ago they also did a major expansion project that included a new longer runway and terminal building.  It didn't get updated in P3D or FSX, but when MSFS came out it had the new runway and terminal building.  So one can hope .........

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

the non-handcrafted ones are drawn based off the satellite imagery and Open Street Map.

They are not even applying Bing Map updates as far as I can tell. 

I thought they were going to run those through Blackshark as soon as they become available but there are lots of areas within the sim that have not been updated at all while the imagery on Bing itself has been updated months ago.

• Like 1

KPIE is and has been incorrect in FSX and MSFS for years.  Somehow those nav data updates don't include airport layouts. 

KMCO has a new terminal now, but in game its just an extra building to the south, can't park at it/no taxiways leading to it. Its handcrafted so I had thought for sure that would have been updated when it opened late last year or so.

5900X

32GB DDR4-3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 Ti

Game installed on 980 PRO

Main display Gigabyte M27Q X 27" 1440p 240Hz

3 hours ago, Farlis said:

They are not even applying Bing Map updates as far as I can tell. 

I thought they were going to run those through Blackshark as soon as they become available but there are lots of areas within the sim that have not been updated at all while the imagery on Bing itself has been updated months ago.

We haven't heard "blackshark" since the launch of the sim- I have to wonder if maybe they ditched them and are going to roll their own ML thing for MSFS '24. It's not like MS/Azure doesn't have the technology/talent to do it.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

11 hours ago, TexasGary said:

My local airport is doing a major expansion project that includes a new longer runway and terminal building.  The old runway was 3586 feet, and it didn't have any IAPs.  The new runway is 5201 feet, and it has two published IAPs.  Will this new runway and terminal building be updated in the sim by ASOBO at some point?  Or is that just left up to someone out there to hopefully do a mod for it?    

image.png.c74332cc9af4fc1a5646c4bad82f0c28.png
This was my local airport, KESN Easton, Maryland,Maryland, USA, on the day MSFS 2020 was launched.

image.png.763adef748263d75db4c625bb96227a6.png

This is my local airport, KESN, today, just a bit more than 30 days under three years since MSFS launch, and after two MSFS World Updates to USA scenery.  There has been no change.  Zero.

Thankfully another member here on Avsim redeveloped KESN.  It is available over at TO.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, kiwikat said:

We haven't heard "blackshark" since the launch of the sim

They were mentioned in the first 4-5 world updates notes as providing new autogen building assets for those countries, but there's been nothing since and there have been no new autogen buildings in any world updates for a long time.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

I use Black square real taxiways Europe and America at least the taxiways are named correctly with this.

Edited by rob0203

14 hours ago, kiwikat said:

We haven't heard "blackshark" since the launch of the sim- I have to wonder if maybe they ditched them and are going to roll their own ML thing for MSFS '24. It's not like MS/Azure doesn't have the technology/talent to do it.

Be that as it may, it is very apparent that the sim has fallen way behind the Bing updates. I remember distinctively how Jörg talked about updated aerials in Austria (there are big slaps of outdated winter aerials to be found in the sim). These were indeed replaced in Bing some time ago, but they still have not found their way into the sim. Another example: Around Megeve near Mont Blanc in France the sim has quite a few mountains covered in default textures, because the AI algorithm probably had to clean up subpar aerials. But in Bing the whole aera is updated. Granted it's either late autumn or late winter textures, everything is brown, but there are no clouds in the aerials and everything is crisp and clean. But that's not in the sim.

I have come across numerous examples like this all throughout Europe where Bing has been updated since the release of MSFS but MSFS is still in the same state as it was on release.

I thought it is an automated process. Bing gets the new data and as soon as it is published on their map servers it is being sent to Blackshark for processing in the sim and then it shows up in the sim with autogen buildings and trees added and clouds replaced by default textures. 

And for whatever reason that has not been happening. What good is having the Bing aerials at your disposal for free because they belong to the same company if you don't use new ones as soon as they are available?

30 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Be that as it may, it is very apparent that the sim has fallen way behind the Bing updates. I remember distinctively how Jörg talked about updated aerials in Austria (there are big slaps of outdated winter aerials to be found in the sim). These were indeed replaced in Bing some time ago, but they still have not found their way into the sim. Another example: Around Megeve near Mont Blanc in France the sim has quite a few mountains covered in default textures, because the AI algorithm probably had to clean up subpar aerials. But in Bing the whole aera is updated. Granted it's either late autumn or late winter textures, everything is brown, but there are no clouds in the aerials and everything is crisp and clean. But that's not in the sim.

I have come across numerous examples like this all throughout Europe where Bing has been updated since the release of MSFS but MSFS is still in the same state as it was on release.

I thought it is an automated process. Bing gets the new data and as soon as it is published on their map servers it is being sent to Blackshark for processing in the sim and then it shows up in the sim with autogen buildings and trees added and clouds replaced by default textures. 

And for whatever reason that has not been happening. What good is having the Bing aerials at your disposal for free because they belong to the same company if you don't use new ones as soon as they are available?

Or they're simply gonna use new aerials in next year's game and that's where the attention is right now? A possible reason, but the mention of updated aerials certainly hasn't panned out the way I thought it would, maybe they mis sold that at the beginning or didn't detail it specifically enough and it got lost a bit in translation.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 7/19/2023 at 8:42 AM, TexasGary said:

Will this new runway and terminal building be updated in the sim by ASOBO at some point? 

I have seen them update airports with new visuals, including ones that are not part of the hand-built or whatever collection.

KSKX built a new runway years ago and the satellites snapped a picture when the runway was still under construction and had X's at either end. That pic got into the sim even though the runway was open for traffic when the sim released. I submitted a bug report and a few months later the X's were gone in the sim.