Heel bone connected to the ankle bone

Ankle bone connected to the shin bone

Shin bone connected to the knee bone

Knee bone connected to the thigh bone

Thigh bone connected to the hip bone

Hip bone connected to the cell phone

Noel

• Like 6

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Hmmm. I think you're too close to Area 51.

• Like 2

Mario Di Lauro

Get a folding phone with a strong flip lid. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

9 hours ago, Fielder said:

Get a folding phone with a strong flip lid.

I have not yet been assimilated into the continuum.  I never take my cell phone with me anywhere and when I am doing something at home and the phone rings I don't bother to answer it.  I will check to see who called and return the call on my own time.

People have asked me what happens if my car breaks down?  Well, I have a button on the ceiling of my car I can push that gets me to the Toyota emergency operator.  I can tell him/her I need a tow or I have flat tire or I need a battery jump and to call the nearest AAA truck.  That operator already has my GPS location.

If I have an accident and am disabled the operator is automatically notified and if I don't respond to him or her they will notify the proper authorities.

Otherwise I don't want to be bothered with a ringing telephone when I'm out and about.  I got along for almost 90 years without a phone in my pocket and I don't think I want one for the few years I have left.

Noel

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Hello Noel, I'm 64 and I feel exactly the same about phones.

I live in a beautiful area and when I travel on the bus, it saddens me so much that people are gawping at their screens rather than enjoying the scenery out of the window. 

Best - Phil

1 hour ago, philmurfin said:

I live in a beautiful area and when I travel on the bus, it saddens me so much that people are gawping at their screens rather than enjoying the scenery out of the window. 

Best - Phil

Inching ever-so-closer to an Orwellian dystopia, aren't they.

I mean, I don't want to sound negative, but, darn it, life was better before cell phones, but no one under 40 even knows it.  To me their only (best) use would be for the situation Noel describes, where you are in a wreck or have broken down and need assistance.  Otherwise, stay the H-E-double-hockeysticks out of my life.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

People chatting away on phones must be annoying to tour guides declaiming on the wonders of the exhibits, or the parson giving his sermon. The defendant in court while the judge is speaking. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Hello all,

I remember the introduction of the "huge" bricks that were the initial cell/mobile phones. They did nothing but make or receive phone calls but they did that very well.

Now we have cell/mobile phones that do everything including the washing up but they do not seem to make good phone calls ie out of range or very weak and scratchy noises during the call. If this is progress, I am happy to admit that I am very happy not to pay AUD1000 + for that unique ability to not make phone calls. I revel in the fact that I do not get scam calls or calls from Government employees whose levels of stupidity defy the imagination. 

I know that all sounds brutally negative and probably a positive indication of my age but for me, I am in a happy place and fully able to take in the passing scenery and not bumping into people because I am looking at a very small screen and not at where I am actually going.

One thing however, that I noticed from a grandson is that they can be very small e-books which I would use a lot (once I got to my destination) 

Each to his/her own though.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I remember the introduction of the "huge" bricks that were the initial cell/mobile phones.

18 hours ago, philmurfin said:

it saddens me so much that people are gawping at their screens rather than enjoying the scenery out of the window. 

I experienced the same thing on an Amtrack train from Los Angeles to San Francisco.  We were in the lounge car enjoying the beautiful oceanside scenery and half the people in the car had their head's buried in their iPhones.

I was reading a medical magazine in the waiting room at my doctor's office and there was an article in it about cell phone attachment.  Especially with teenagers.  Some get hysterical if a teacher or parent takes it away from them.  They have become grownup security blankets.  Hence the line 'the hip bone is connected to the cell phone'.  It's almost as if these phones have become a part of one's anatomy.

But I have to admit I am rather odd in that area.  I won't wear any jewelry or even a wrist watch.  I only wore my wedding ring once and that was at the wedding ceremony when Betty and I exchanged rings.  Before I retired I did carry a pocket watch in my pocket.  Now I don't carry any time pieces at all.

Dog tags were a problem for me in the service.  I hated wearing them around my neck so I carried them in my pocket.  Senior NCOs would scold me for it and tell me to put them around my neck.  I did until they were out of sight and then I put them back in my pocket.  When I became a senior NCO nobody ever told me to put them around my neck again.

Noel

17 hours ago, Fielder said:

The defendant in court while the judge is speaking

Or especially members of the jury.

Noel

19 hours ago, philmurfin said:

Best - Phil

I'm 65 and love my phone and technology in general. 😁 

I live in a beautiful area too, and when I'm out for a walk on the cliffs the GPS on my phone stops me from ending up in the wilderness and lost. 😁 My phone also enables me to take a quick photo of the 18 inch long Western Green Lizard that wandered across our path on our recent cliff walk.

And when I'm out in my daughters car, Google Maps makes sure I find my destination without issue. And when I'm out walking it does the same.

I had to pick my daughter up the other day and hadn't a clue where she was. So she sent me a pin on WhatsApp and Google Maps led me straight to her.

There are also scantly clad young ladies to admire on your phone. 😮

Phones for the win! 😸 👍

Edited by martin-w

17 hours ago, Mace said:

life was better before cell phones, but no one under 40 even knows it.

No it wasn't. Not as far as I'm concerned. 🤔

Yep, these "smart" phones have certainly taken over people's lives.  Talk about "Rise of the Machines".  Forget about an AI robot takeover, as these little devices have already accomplished 90% of the sinister AI world takeover agenda!

This obsession with smartphones is mostly an under-40 phenomenon, but I even see quite a few people in their 70s fiddling with these things constantly and totally enthralled by their little screens. 

Mine is the last generation that didn't grow up with these things, or even the Internet, so I have some experience n living without this technology, which makes me somewhat sympathetic to younger folks who've had these things for nearly their entire lives. 

I still come across a lot of reckless idiots texting while driving despite the fact that it is dangerous and against the law.  I also don't think they should be allowed in school, period.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home