Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

Avoiding OOM crashes with the FSL Concorde

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t see excessive memory usage as a problem because it’s only a temporary thing whilst the HP computer is starting up. It drops to 15Gb or so soon after. Leave the swap file alone. Let Windows manage it.

It's not temporary. It levels off at 26GB for me, which is still double the commit size of P3D under any other circumstance, and I'm not at full detail or at a busy airport.

The fact that it doesn't crash shouldn't make you complacent, either - especially if you have 16GB of RAM. Windows has swapped out a few gigs from the P3D process or others - when those need to run or you ALT-TAB, then it needs to get swapped back in (and more P3D stuff swapped out), which is going to be orders of magnitude slower than a stutter or two. I deliberately don't run my machines with more than 1-4GB of swap because once you are swapping to any appreciable amount, the machine becomes unresponsive and you might as well just terminate the offending process.

I wonder if this is just a really bad memory leak, or they're trying to mmap files but not doing it correctly. Either way, to consume an additional 10-20GB of memory is inexcusable. Hopefully they will fix this promptly.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I appreciate all you buyers for giving us feedback reports.  I am in the fslabs forums as I have access to A320 side of things, but for Concorde only the general section as I don't own the license.  

These reports already convince me that I need to wait and just enjoy my other sim for now.  I will revisit p3d 5.4 installation at a later date when the Concorde is patched up and these memory issues are improved.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They’ll sort it out! Calm down! 😉

It is also 2023, one would've expected this to be "sorted out" before release. I'll have to go go back later and sort out issues to see if it can be resolved but with 16 GB of RAM and an RTX 2080 I shouldn't have to be loading an aircraft without an interior... This is also on a fresh P3D install without any other add-ons specifically purchasing both P3D and the plane just for this.

Edited by MrNuke
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's not temporary. It levels off at 26GB for me, which is still double the commit size of P3D under any other circumstance, and I'm not at full detail or at a busy airport.

The fact that it doesn't crash shouldn't make you complacent, either - especially if you have 16GB of RAM.

I have 32Gb as shown in my sig. There’s no point me debating it here. Feedback your views in the Concorde forum if you haven’t already done so.

Show your specs in your sig otherwise we don’t know how different your system is.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

59 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have 32Gb as shown in my sig. There’s no point me debating it here. Feedback your views in the Concorde forum if you haven’t already done so.

I'm not interested as much in debating you as explaining the importance of my and others' position, especially to others. I don't see much of a point posting in a highly locked-down vendor forum that prospective customers cannot see, and only get access once no refund can be obtained (which begs the DRM question, but I digress....) Just because the sim doesn't crash, it doesn't make what FSLabs is doing more unacceptable and the questions raised are valid. (Did no one notice the RAM consumption prior to release?)

I'm also aggravated that FSLabs insists that I run P3D as admin, even if I'm not running their aircraft. This has been a rather unpleasant and disappointing exercise so far, and I haven't even started the engines yet. 😕 I suspect it will change, but this is all useful information for prospective customers.

My specs are as followings : i7-9700K (4.9Ghz), 32GB DD4-3200, 512GB 970Pro, 1TB S70 Blade, 512GB 860 EVO.

Cheers

• Like 6

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

43 minutes ago, Luke said:

My specs are as followings :

Graphics card?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guys- i know we all like to get (word not allowed) off when this stuff happens, but the reality is : this is very complex softwae and thousands of lines of code. I would expect some bugs in it initially. FSL has had many updates on the Airbuses and that is a masterpiece. I'd rather fly those than Fenix any day, and usually do. Be patient.....

Edited by CapnOz

Peter Osborn

38 minutes ago, CapnOz said:

Guys- i know we all like to get (word not allowed) off when this stuff happens, but the reality is : this is very complex softwae and thousands of lines of code. I would expect some bugs in it initially. FSL has had many updates on the Airbuses and that is a masterpiece. I'd rather fly those than Fenix any day, and usually do. Be patient.....

When you are releasing a plane that hasn't flown in real life in nearly 20 years on a platform that is also nearly as irrelevant, I don't think it is an unrealistic expectation for things to work "out of the box".

Edited by MrNuke
  • Upvote 1

Manageable or not that is an insane amount of memory to consume. Running this Concord should not tax your RAM like that without a leak somewhere.  

Edited by rocketlaunch
  • Like 2

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

An add on causing OOMs in 2023 is a no-buy from me. Sure hope they fix this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrNuke said:

When you are releasing a plane that hasn't flown in real life in nearly 20 years on a platform that is also nearly as irrelevant, I don't think it is an unrealistic expectation for things to work "out of the box".

Well welcome to Flight Sim. Its a reality I learned to accept many years ago....

Peter Osborn

1 minute ago, CapnOz said:

Well welcome to Flight Sim. Its a reality I learned to accept many years ago....

In this case, with this company, and the decision to pour their resources into this release it seems different.

42 minutes ago, chapstick said:

An add on causing OOMs in 2023 is a no-buy from me. Sure hope they fix this.

I guess that depends on how much RAM you have.

I for one, have been really enjoying flying the Concorde, once I got my P3D software set back up. Have not used it in 2+ years since MSFS came out.  I would not have even noticed the high RAM usage until I read about it here. Using about 26GB. No OOM's yet for me, but then again, I have 64GB in my system.  I guess if you only have 16GB, that might be an issue. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

7 hours ago, MrNuke said:

This is the P3D forum. It is very relevant to those who prefer it. Would you say the same thing in the XP forum? Alternative simulators are allowed.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather