Sign in to follow this  
Guest phenom

FSX, Crysis and framerates

See my comments above.Not asking for a 'Crysis' type engine, but there is a lot of room for improvement I would think.Ditching all backwards compatability may help for a start.....

You wrote this in the other thread. The difference is Crytek put a realistic minimum specs on the game. One that would achieve a good gameplay. Microsoft on the other hand put a totally ridiculous minimum specs on FSX, just in order to sell as many copies as possible.

Am I the only one who read this topic correctly ?What the poster was saying is, that also Crysis is getting its part of the flame cake, with all the hype of it being the first real next Gen game, the expectations were set very high, and off course they could not deliver. ***Edit : I mean they could not live up to "everybody's" expectations. I am sure there are many people out there who love the game.**On top of that, FPS are very important in a shooter, because that leaves room for sudden movements. In Crysis most users can not get more then 25 FPS (and I have read as low as 12), while they were spoiled with 60 or more in previous games.So next time someone wants to blame ACEs, remember that every new game that tries to push the limits, has to deal with this, Crysis included.Jan

What? These guys are using Intel Q6600 machines with 8800 graphics cards. Thats a fairly standard gaming machine, been around for at least a year. At 1900/1200 and High settings the get 24 FPS. How is that bad frame rates? And Crytek are still fixing bugs and optimizing code so it will only get better.You seem to have no idea what the engine can do. Here are some of the features:Shader model 2, 3 and 4DX9, DX10, Vista, XP support32-bit and 64-bit versionsSLI, multicore supportmulti-threaded engine to take advantage of SMP or hyper-threading capable systemsvery low cpu usageVolumetric 3D CloudsReal time Ambient Maps with dynamic lighting and no premade shadows3D Ocean Technology dynamically modifies the ocean surface based on wind and wave direction and creates moving shadows and highlights underwaterDepth of field to focus on certain objects while blurring out the edges and far away placesVector Motion blur on both camera movement and individual objectsDynamic Soft shadows with objects casting realistic shadows in real timeRealistic Facial Animation that can be captured from an actor's faceSubsurface scatteringParallax Occlusion MappingBreakable Buildings allowing more tactical preplanning on the player's sideBreakable Vegetation (with possibly heavy foilage) enabling players and enemy AI to level entire forests as a tactical maneuver or other purposesAdvanced Rope Physics showcasing bendable vegetation responding to wind, rain or character movement and realistically interactive rope bridgesComponent Vehicle Damage giving vehicles different destroyable parts, such as tires on jeeps or helicopter bladesHDR lightingFully interactive and destructible environmentsAdvanced particle system with fire or rain being affected by forces such as windTime of Day Lighting, with sunrise, and sunset effects ensuring realistic transition between daytime and nighttimeLightbeams and Shafts when light intersects with solid or highly detailed geometry, and can generate "Godray" effects underwaterParallax Occlusion Mapping giving a greater sense of depth to a surface texture, realistically emphasizing the relief surface structure of objectsLong Range View Distance of up to 16km from ingame measurementsParametric Skeletal Animation SystemProcedural Motion WarpingIntegrated CryENGINE Sandbox2 EditorRenderer: integrates indoor and outdoor technology seamlessly. Physics System: supports vehicles, rigid bodies, liquid, rag doll, cloth and soft body effects. Animation System: Playback and blending between motion data AI System: Enables team based AI and AI behaviors defined by scripts. Data-driven Sound SystemInteractive Dynamic Music SystemEnvironmental AudioNetwork Client and Server SystemShaders: A script system used to combine textures in different ways to produce visual effects. Terrain: Uses an advanced heightmap system and polygon reduction to create massive, realistic environments. Voxel Object: Allows creating geometry a heightmap system wouldn

The Crysis demo is now out... it does perform very badly on older machines. I can't get more than about 15FPS on mine right now.My roommate however has a Core 2/8800GTS machine and it's running great for him, looks amazing and is running smoothly with everything on High.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Lennyt

Tsk, tsk. Taking quotes out of context.

Indeed, he quoted me wrongly. I was talking about the flamewars ongoing against Crytec for releasing this game, not about the game itself, nor the engine.I did not install this demo myself, and don't intend to, because shooters annoy me very fast, so I don't know how fast it runs on my box.I agree with you that as time progresses, the Crytec team will release patches, as well as Nvidia and ATI, and things will improve.So I am NOT judging the game, and I am NOT judging the programmers.I am only observing that each time a new game comes out, that tries out the bounderies of current hardware (and Crytec said so themselves, this game is supposed to look good on hardware 2 years from now), there is a lot of flaming from disillusioned buyers.I did see this for several games, just to name a few, in random order:- F.E.A.R. - Flight Unlimited III- Half Life 2- Flight Simulator (name any version)- and now Crysis.All of those have one thing in common : a devoted user base.A last message to Phil : I think you are a very brave man to stand with us an keep posting here. Thank you.Jan

Is it not available to DX9 due to the performance impact or inabilty of DX9 to handle that type of graphical display?

After watching that video Crysis looks amazing, but a few questions:Clouds move around but there doesn't seem to be any generation of weather?Looks like the maps are hand made. How does that differ from FS? Just curious because editing a city may take some time, but doing the whole world like that may take a few years, but it would be cool.How much disk space does each map take?Pretty amazing editor though, would be nice to do that in FS, imagine the add-ons.What is the maximum mesh resolution and texture resolution and how does that compare to the maximums in FSX?I can see why people are enthralled and would want to see this level of detail in FS, but is it possible? What changes to the FS engine would allow for this type of detail? Ahh, so many questions and so little time.

Guest Lith1um

I installed the demo on my system last night. 8800GTX/Core2Duo @ 3.2ghz/4gb/Vista U64/xfiOn very high the game looks fantastic. Screenshots dont do it enough justice. But it does run too slow to be enjoyable. Very high enables DX10.So basicaly we have the same situation we have with FSX. The sliders are there for a purpose, but psychologicaly most people just can't bear to use them.Personaly I'm gonna run through the Crysis demo in Very High because I think it looks fantastic and I'm willing to endure some performance issues. Imo this vindicates ACES to a great extent. It's clear to me that no matter if it's Crysis or FSX, you need some awesome hardware to have it all. To quote a scene from Jaws, "We're gonna need a bigger boat"

>Here are some of the features:The most telling "feature" of this game which instantly nullifies it from comparisons to MSFS or any other flight sim is...>Long Range View Distance of up to 16km from ingame measurementsA whopping 10 MILES! Imagine your disgust of the best MSFS could do was 10 miles/16 kilometers.For a first-person shooter/adventure game, this may be revolutionary. For a simulation, this would be considered unacceptable.

What settings did you try and run the game on, with your old machine. Its not reasonable to expect a next generation game to run fast on the high settings. Considering this game has programmed in it just about every graphics feature there is, I am quite amazed that people like your roommate can get great performance and visuals on hardware that is over a year old. And we're only talking about a first beta release and a beta driver here.

Hi there,according to the (correct) link - http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/component...28.msg4159/#new - the engine is still based on maps. I quote:"Crysis features maps upto 60KM wide and with view distances between 14km and 60km!!"So what's the difference between a level and a map and what happens if one reaches the edge of a map?And here's another quote that seems to contradict the "open world" statements: "Terrain: Uses an advanced heightmap system and polygon reduction to create massive, realistic environments. The view distance can be up to 2km when converted from game units."Cheers, Holger