Sign in to follow this  
BrammyH

Fixes for PMDG EFB, err, UFT, inbound on Monday: Changelog

27 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

This is just my opinion. They never started working on the tablet 2 years ago. They only started developing this tablet maybe 6–12 months ago. Look at what FENIX for example offers with the release. Night and day over PMDG. 

And the fact that the Fenix tablet was built by pretty much one person (I’m sure she had some help but still mainly done by Katie) who also happens to have a full time job flying with an airline in the UK is really a testament to how good it really is! 

Saying all that I’m sure the PMDG one will come along nicely and should hopefully be included at launch with the 777.

Personally I just think it’s so much easier to control doors, pushback, loading and all other sim actions from there. 

I know Emi sort of had a bit of a pop about it not being realistic in one of his videos, but then again doing the same actions from within the FMC is just as unrealistic. 

Anthony Milner

56 minutes ago, antic81 said:

I know Emi sort of had a bit of a pop about it not being realistic in one of his videos, but then again doing the same actions from within the FMC is just as unrealistic. 

It's time to stop with the excuses and to go to work. 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:01 PM, carlanthony24 said:

A max would be nice.

we do have a chronic shortage of 737s in this sim

• Like 2

7 hours ago, antic81 said:

I think this statement was made in response to a certain mindset that it being in the fmc instead of the efb is something that is inherently wrong. It's not. It's mainly comes down to a preference in workflows. I actually find it easier/quicker to go through the fmc for some things versus navigating the GUI of a tablet. This could be because I am used to it. One thing that I think the efb would be better for me is to move all the various equipment options to the efb, though.

In terms of the max, they did confirm it, but they better get it done sooner rather than later as ifly is already in the middle of bringing their max to msfs and they're not developing anything else. If p3d is any indication, their max would be a solid alternative to pmdg. That would be good news to some here that have have fallen out of favor with pmdg.

Edited by Kevin_28

Luddite here, fully able to get from gate to gate w/o it, what does this particular EFB offer?  I use the FlyBag in FBW's A320NX where it plays a major role in configuration and each flight that would be hard to live w/o, whereas w/ PMDG so much configuration is built in to the FMC I'm hard pressed to understand what's it really good for.  Favorite features in the new EFB from PMDG?

Cheers 

And this comment above sums it up:

8 minutes ago, Kevin_28 said:

It's mainly comes down to a preference in workflows. I actually find it easier/quicker to go through the fmc for some things versus navigating the GUI of a tablet. This could be because I am used to it.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Luddite here, fully able to get from gate to gate w/o it, what does this particular EFB offer?  I use the FlyBag in FBW's A320NX where it plays a major role in configuration and each flight that would be hard to live w/o, whereas w/ PMDG so much configuration is built in to the FMC I'm hard pressed to understand what's it really good for.  Favorite features in the new EFB from PMDG?

Cheers 

I agree, just using the FMC is quicker and easier for me, and that is why I couldn't understand  all the hysterics about getting the EFB. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I agree, just using the FMC is quicker and easier for me, and that is why I couldn't understand  all the hysterics about getting the EFB. 

Because a competent EFB is actually useful, even if you haven't quite grasped its purpose. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

so much configuration is built in to the FMC

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

using the FMC is quicker and easier for me

Great, the two of you know and love the FMC method. However, diving into page after page after page of the FMC to find the appropriate setting is a chore.

Whenever the PMDG EFB receives its missing elements and the partner-created apps, the FMC method is going to feel even more clunky and lacking than it currently does.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Great, the two of you know and love the FMC method. However, diving into page after page after page of the FMC to find the appropriate setting is a chore.

Whenever the PMDG EFB receives its missing elements and the partner-created apps, the FMC method is going to feel even more clunky and lacking than it currently does.

What are the "elements" that will make the FMC clunky and be exact? And I am not talking about the one time settings that you use when setting up the aircraft, and never touch again. . 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What are the "elements" that will make the FMC clunky and be exact? And I am not talking about the one time settings that you use when setting up the aircraft, and never touch again. . 

Just one example off the top of my head, how do you currently perform all ground ops in the PMDG 737?

1st page: FMS actions

2nd page: Fuel

3rd page: FMS actions (again)

4th page: Payload

5th page: FMS actions (again)

6th page: Doors

7th page: FMS actions (again)

8th page: Ground services

9th page: Airplane service (page 1/4)

10th page: Airplane service (page 2/4)

11th page: Passenger services (page 3/4)

12th page: Baggage handling (page 4/4)

And now in the Fenix A320:

1st page: Fenix app

2nd page: Ground services

3rd page: Mass and balance

So, yes, settings used in every flight which need to be navigated using a clunky UI.

Fingers crossed the updated PMDG EFB will remove most of those unnecessary extra steps.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Just as a general note, I hope we can all accept that different people have different preferences for things and not feel the need to belittle others whose preferences differ

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

Just one example off the top of my head, how do you currently perform all ground ops in the PMDG 737?

I think for me there are other things that go into it. Clicks take a short amount of time. Again part of it has to do with the fact that we may be more used to navigating those menus. With the tablet, there are other things other than clicks that can add time. For example when you open an app or a tab there are some transition times that go into it. At one point, one had a lock screen that you had to enter in a 4 digit password or press a key in order to access the actual efb (I hear they will eventually allow you to disable that). Also for some people, having more things like pictures and diagrams add more clutter that can be distracting and make it more involved to navigate around. Some like to type in numbers rather than move sliders, etc. Each person is different of course.

I think another reason why I don't really have a problem with ground handling is that I use GSX which handles a lot of those things automatically. GSX now also automatically enters in the simbrief zero fuel weight and fuel as well, so that may help.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_28 said:

I think another reason why I don't really have a problem with ground handling is that I use GSX which handles a lot of those things automatically

It's fine to be happy with the method you learned to set-up the aircraft, a lot of us are creatures of habit after all. Yet that doesn't negate the fact that the process is designed inefficiently. Nor that better methods exist elsewhere and should either be replicated or ideally be improved upon.

Also, relying on a third-party app to bypass the quirky layout of accessing options isn't a solution, it's a workaround.

PMDG has taken a step in response to the competition, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more or expect better from one of the leading developers in our hobby.

12 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Also, relying on a third-party app to bypass the quirky layout of accessing options isn't a solution, it's a workaround.

PMDG has taken a step in response to the competition, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more or expect better from one of the leading developers in our hobby.

Yea that's fair.

Thankfully, pmdg has made it clear that they are not just resting on what they have now and they will continue to add further functionality to it. Actually in digging into the files, I do see a YouTube icon and Adobe acrobat icon so I am curious as to what they have planned for that.

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Cheers 

That has been my view of the PMDG tablet but one thing of interest is that provides take off and landing limitations based on aircraft gross weight, runway length, altitude and condition (albeit only wet or dry), weather (wind and temp) amount of engine derate, flaps, COG etc.  If this is all true to real life I was surprised to find that for a takeoff from NZWN on a dry runway and a 90% load you are limited to a 33% fuel load which is not going to get you across the ditch.  Having done this flight in real life many times with a full load I wonder how the airlines manage it.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."