Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Nvidia DX and DL Cache clean

Is this still a thing?  How many of you clear this out periodically -  and do you see a difference when you do?

I do it routinely now (once a month) and always notice a difference. I especially noticed a difference in performance last night after clearing out and then updating to the latest driver.

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

I do clear mine every couple of weeks but can't day I've noticed any difference.  I do also clean it if I swich from DX12 to DX11 or back though.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Shader cache cleansing should be a habit for most. It's been pointed out in many videos and tests that it helps unclog the system. I notice the sim gets very laggy for me after I've done a set of long hauls, all of a sudden my performance won't be where it should be, a quick bit of spring cleaning and all is good again.

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Is this still a thing?  How many of you clear this out periodically -  and do you see a difference when you do?

You should at least do it after a NVIDIA driver update and after a MSFS update, thats what i do and this seems a good way for me..

And of course the Windows NVIDIA DX cache clean aswell from the Windows settings - memory settings ..

And if you use MSFS Rolling Cache you should delete this after every MSFS update and build a new one to be on the save side.

cheers 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

I have a profile setup in my asus rigs LED system that turns them all off when I launch MSFS, and it also clears all caches for me. 

38 minutes ago, kfd said:

How do we clean these caches?

1. Press the Windows key + R and copy/paste %LocalAppData% and hit enter.
2. Locate and open the NVIDIA folder.
3. Open both DXCache and the GLCache folder and delete its contents.

If you wish to remove the cache stored by Windows as well, perform the following steps:

1. Press the Windows key + R and type cleanmgr and hit enter.
2. Select the DirectX-shadercache and press OK and let it finish.

Done.

• Like 7

Or from your desktop click c drive -users- yourname -app data - local - nvidia - dxcache and delete what is inside that folder (note that a few files will remain because they are in use)

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 hour ago, kfd said:

How do we clean these caches?

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

1 hour ago, AviationEnthusiast said:

Locate and open the NVIDIA folder.

strange enough that folder was empty when I just checked. found however some dx cache files in AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion\DXCache instead...

• Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Good info, haven't cleaned anything in ages, probably should be doing this at least once every 3 months.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Yeah, and clean out those pesky temp files as well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I clean it out any time I swap from DX11 to DX12, after or before using VR, and any time I enable or disable FG. It’s usually a night and day difference after clearing them. 

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot