Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Airplane repo...

We have a TV show here in the United States about a company that repossesses airplanes.  Usually GA aircraft where the owners have defaulted on finance or lease payments.

This morning was a 2 hour episode where they had to repossess two Airbus A320s from a European airline that went broke.

To make a long story short the Airbusses were in Ankara Turkey.  One had a dead APU battery and the other a bad brake manifold. 

So the repo company made the fixes and flew the aircraft to the Azores where they sat while the repo company was racing the clock to get US registrations on the aircraft before the airline declared bankruptcy and the EU took possession of them.

After a couple of Atlantic crossings in a business jet and some hectic maintenance work they finally did get the two Airbusses back to the United States and to the leasing company.

Noel

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Not much public love for the repo man, the truant officer, the tax collector, and the dog catcher. I get a kick out of watching The Chosen and how unpopular Mathew is when hes walking down the street (tax collector).

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

We have a TV show here in the United States about a company that repossesses airplanes.  Usually GA aircraft where the owners have defaulted on finance or lease payments.

I've seen quite a few episodes. They  repossess yachts too.

They are recreations though, for legal reasons you don't see the actual event.

3 hours ago, Fielder said:

I get a kick out of watching The Chosen and how unpopular Mathew is when hes walking down the street.

I love The Chosen. Matthew is one of my favorites as he is so relatable

• Like 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Wasn’t there big controversy about them faking a lot of the repos? Thought some owners came forth saying producers made it seem like it was sensationalist and used their planes in exchange for a small usage fee. . 

Edited by spearmint_flyer

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

LOL My wife spent forty years in banking and was a branch manager. Funny how they’re an angel from above when they approved a loan but a greedy ambassador from the infernal region when asking for the delinquent payment someone signed understanding they have to pay it back.  It’s like the company should just let it go out of kindness for their fellow man. Trouble is it’s other people’s money.

Unforeseen circumstances aside some folks just don’t do their math. My Dad rest his soul was a child of the Great Depression and I never saw buy anything without pulling his wallet out and paying cash except for a house. Looking back I think we lived pretty good on an Army Sargents pay. Don’t bite off more then you can chew and that bad repo man will never know your name 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Vic green

9 hours ago, spearmint_flyer said:

Wasn’t there big controversy about them faking a lot of the repos? Thought some owners came forth saying producers made it seem like it was sensationalist and used their planes in exchange for a small usage fee. . 

The faking of incidents is pretty standard for reality TV shows as is much of the drama.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Virtually all reality shows are staged.  I very much doubt a real repo man wants a camera crew around when he is really repossessing and aircraft.  And the tenseness when they are just a step ahead of someone trying to thwart the repossession has to be staged.  However the recreated incidents are interesting and fun to watch.

There was a promo for a show called Alone, I think, about a man alone in the wilderness.  And you never think about the cameraman filming the scene or the sound man recording the dialog and a director setting the scene and the script writer.  They are probably all there with takes and re-takes.  The same with that show Naked and Afraid.

Several years ago there was one show about a man alone in the wilderness of Canada.  He actually was alone and did the filming himself.  Most of it was his narrating the episode and holding the camera on himself  while walking and on the scenery the was walking through.  There were times he propped the camera up on something and then walked back and returned toward the camera.  In camp at night he had the camera rolling while he narrated while sitting by the campfire and sometimes he walked in and out of the scene.  He did the editing himself when he got back to civilization so the continuity might not have been actual but it made for a good program.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

Several years ago there was one show about a man alone in the wilderness of Canada.

Les Stroud in Survivorman. This was the most impressive for me.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

35 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Virtually all reality shows are staged.  I very much doubt a real repo man wants a camera crew around when he is really repossessing and aircraft. 

I recall there's a disclaimer before the show, alerting viewers to the fact that they are recreations, for legal reasons. 

• Like 1

Yeah Dugald.  Survivorman was the one I was thinking of.  Good reality show with authentic scenes.

Noel

On 11/29/2023 at 12:22 PM, birdguy said:

There was a promo for a show called Alone, I think, about a man alone in the wilderness.  And you never think about the cameraman filming the scene or the sound man recording the dialog and a director setting the scene and the script writer.  They are probably all there with takes and re-takes.  The same with that show Naked and Afraid.

Actually Alone is a group of individuals (sounds contradictory) each trying to survive 'alone', each in their designated area, typically 5-10 miles apart from one another. The last one to quit wins a cash prize, every one else gets nothing. The contestants all film themselves. The only camera operator is during the before start interviews, post victory interviews, and during periodic required medical evaluations of each contestant. It is actually a pretty good show. The dramatic weight loss of some of the contestants shows that its not all just for show.

Not quite Survivorman, but while Les Stroud would go for 4-5 days, these people go for months before the final one quits, so each of the shows have their redeeming qualities.

Keeping things on topic, I admit I have never heard a single one of the contestants ask when their release date will be, and no one seems to bash either PMDG or Carenado, so I do question some of the reality...

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

On 11/29/2023 at 9:22 AM, birdguy said:

There was a promo for a show called Alone, I think, about a man alone in the wilderness.  And you never think about the cameraman filming the scene or the sound man recording the dialog and a director setting the scene and the script writer.  They are probably all there with takes and re-takes.

Reminds me of a Sam Kinison routine years ago: