Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS: “A Loss Of Trust From Our Player Community"

24 minutes ago, Krakin said:

You know what's funny? LR probably wishes they could be in a situation where their servers were getting hammered if you catch my drift 🤣.

Funny you should mention that.  X-Plane 10 had slow download speeds.  Laminar rent servers to handle the traffic, and downloads were still slow.  So Austin created a torrent and published it.  Download problems gone.  But I do find it comical that you're the one bringing Laminar into this.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Hardly.

You said you would not read the report while choosing the waste hours talking to someone you seem to have trouble understanding about it. You've been told over and over why your backup server solution wouldn't work but you truck on with it while saying you're a bit of an expert like Daddy Pig. It is a big waste of time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Just now, lwt1971 said:

Yes obviously the specific Azure configuration issues/bugs experienced during the MSFS SU14 release period has not been apparently seen in the Windows/Office/other MS updates because they're using a different  Azure config and setup. And once again, the SU14 issue is not about a "lack of redundancy in the Azure servers".

So why did it affect this particular update?  Or is that in the report?  If it is, I will definitely read it.

1 minute ago, GoranM said:

Laminar rent servers to handle the traffic, and downloads were still slow.

So throwing more hardware at the problem isn't always the solution? That's crazyyyyyyyy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

You should read it anyways so you're not posting from a place of ignorance.

Ok, I read it.  So it wasn't bugs (plural) as was first mentioned.  It was a bug, in a shared access signature, that was only present in SU13.  One bug, in a SAS, caused all this.  

5 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Name calling? What? I'm comparing you to Daddy Pig I am not calling you Daddy Pig. He's a character on Peppa Pig who often says "I'm a bit of an expert" when he actually isn't.  You need to brush up on your reading comprehension and stop falsely accusing people of things like this. Not the first time you've done it.

Oh brother.  Sorry Krakin.  I don't watch/read Peppa Pig.  Not my preferred choice of entertainment.  Not judging you, if you like it.  Let's just get that out of the way.

But again.  I never said I was an expert in servers.  I'm just going by experience in the various software subscriptions I have.  I cancelled one of them, due to license validation not working because the servers were down.  That was $1500 a year.  For that kind of money, they'd better have redundancies in place.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1

Any more argumentative back and forths, and this topic goes into the trash!

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

23 minutes ago, Krakin said:

You know what's funny? LR probably wishes they could be in a situation where their servers were getting hammered if you catch my drift 🤣.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

8 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Ok, I read it.  So it wasn't bugs (plural) as was first mentioned.  It was a bug, in a shared access signature, that was only present in SU13.  One bug, in a SAS, caused all this. 

Do you now understand why many people in here thought the "just use a backup system" method was faulty reasoning?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, gdjak said:

Do you now understand why many people in here thought the "just use a backup system" method was faulty reasoning?

How hard would it have been to have someone just say "It was a bug in a shared access token"?

In any case, if there are no redundancies in place, I would place less faith in this not happening again.  I simply don't understand why this wasn't picked up by testers, and if it's because the bug didn't exist in the testers download, why not?  That's the point of having testers.  For every part of a software/update release.

Every add on I've made, the download was tested on both Mac and Windows PC's.  Including the DRM and any authentication.  It's kind of a no-brainer.

Edited by GoranM

8 minutes ago, GoranM said:

In any case, if there are no redundancies in place, I would place less faith in this not happening again.

Why don't you tell us how your redundancies would work in a situation like this?

9 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Every add on I've made, the download was tested on both Mac and Windows PC's.  Including the DRM and any authentication.  It's kind of a no-brainer.

Definitely not the same situation.

9 minutes ago, GoranM said:

How hard would it have been to have someone just say "It was a bug in a shared access token"?

You were told a hundred times that the bug would have been repeated by backup servers. That was all you really needed to know.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Yes would have been fine but I'll take it.

5 minutes ago, GoranM said:

In any case, if there are no redundancies in place, I would place less faith in this not happening again.  I simply don't understand why this wasn't picked up by testers, and if it's because the bug didn't exist in the testers download, why not?  That's the point of having testers.  For every part of a software/update release.

Come on, I tought you read the report

This issue hadn’t been identified previously because under normal conditions the requests to the CDN were limited enough that the Azure cloud infrastructure was able to handle the load even with the bug of new tokens being created every few seconds. However, when SU_13 was released, we suddenly had a large surge of requests to download new packages.  [...]

After a more detailed analysis of the errors, the PlayFab team realized that their previous fix deployed for SU_13 was insufficient. Fixes for the remaining issues (broken shared cache and SAS token generation every 15 minutes) had to be deployed to restore normal service.

It's a problem that happens at scale. How are a couple of testers supposed to find this?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I simply don't understand why this wasn't picked up by testers, and if it's because the bug didn't exist in the testers download, why not?

Because - as it was noted in the report - the loads were not sufficient enough in order for the issue to be noticed. 

I sincerely recommend you to read the incident report.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

7 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Because - as it was noted in the report - the loads were not sufficient enough in order for the issue to be noticed. 

Yes indeed. "If all else fails, read the directions/explanation."

• Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

13 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

It’s obvious I already did. It’s 353am. And I think between Peppa Pig, the references to Laminar and X-Plane, and everything in between, this topic has been run into the ground. But I’ve walked away learning a lot about some people. The main thing?  Never criticize or share an opinion about anything MSFS. No matter how small it may seem. On the bright side, I think I’ve contributed a bit to the next 500 000 forum posts. Here’s to that. 
Seriously, have a great day. 

Edited by GoranM

3 minutes ago, GoranM said:

It’s obvious I already did. It’s 353am. And I think between Peppa Pig, the references to Laminar and X-Plane, and everything in between, this topic has been run into the ground. But I’ve walked away learning a lot about some people. The main thing?  Never criticize or share an opinion about anything MSFS. No matter how small it may seem. 
Seriously, have a great day. 

Nothing like a healthy helping of gaslighting in the wee hours of the morning. You have a great day too.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1