Sign in to follow this  
Fiorentoni

Fenix icing hotfix available

17 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

You misread that message, Bob.

They said that for users that don't like to use the internet, they will send out a post deck of punched cards with the fixes on them. Be sure to keep them in the proper order. 🤣

spacer.png

My first job back in the day with General Electric, used those exact cards

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

42 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

You misread that message, Bob.

They said that for users that don't like to use the internet, they will send out a post deck of punched cards with the fixes on them. Be sure to keep them in the proper order. 🤣

spacer.png

No need to worry about the 5081 cards our of sequence,  Run them thru your handy IBM 083 card sorter.  Here's one in operation:

Little known fact.  The punch card size (seven and three-eights inches by three and a quarter inches) was based on the size of the US dollar bill as it was when the cards were first introduced.  Someone said that the size of the bill wouldn't change so that was a good size.  Of course the dollar bill was reduced to its current size somewhere around 1929.  Talk about the shrinking dollar!

Edited by jmdriskell
Add stuff
  • Like 2

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

lol this whole time I thought the icing issue was a feature, not a bug. Was in a moderate/severe icing situation, and went through the airspeed unreliable checklist. I guess when you’re in the heat of battle, it doesn’t matter if it’s a bug or not, just gotta make it work 😆

• Upvote 3

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

6 hours ago, Area said:

For those who don't have discord : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HHextbHDP9Fn4TCFlhDaWIFTaJ6jWnW_?usp=sharing

Important Amir says:

"Hey, just dropping in here for a moment as I know some people are frustrated with not being able to use icing with the aircraft. This systems.cfg should fix it as a quick patch, but bear in mind we cannot warrant the electrical behaviour of the airplane alongside failures/pitot failures/etc or any abnormals. So, please back up your original and if it is problematic, roll back.

It goes here: Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\FNX320\systems.cfg

Replace that ^ and it should work.

With this, you should be able to turn icing back on again."

Thanks man, appreciate that.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

6 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

People moaning about Discord and not going to support because of the way they do things. You would not be missed. Plenty of people support them so I doubt they really care.. Can always go over to PMDG forum and FSLabs forum to get scolded for not having names in signatures and when you find a bug and report it to be met with a response that is anything but normal. 

Are you always so hurt when people don't think as you do.

That was a really bizarre reaction and outburst to some people saying they don't like Discord. 😄

• Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, JYW said:

Are you always so hurt when people don't think as you do.

That was a really bizarre reaction and outburst to some people saying they don't like Discord. 😄

No its a forum for opinions/discussions etc and I am making one did not realize I needed permission to do so. 🙂 Just stating how I see it and no doubt others are the same. New ways of communicating and forums not being needed to a degree. Just reading comments they won't support because they don't have a forum like PMDG is just crazy but hey ho, the same people who will just buy the products maybe a couple of weeks down the line because they are bored with another aircraft. Don't like just scroll past simple. 🙂

It's perfectly fine for people to not like discord - but some things to clarify after some of the comments seen on this thread.

1. Discord is NOT AN OFFICIAL SUPPORT PORTAL. It is a community area for discussion, or to chat with the devs if you so wish in an informal way. If you need support, use the ticketing system - this is specific to people saying they would not have purchased the product had they known they would need to use Discord. You don't need to use Discord for anything. Important and large pieces of news, etc - are all also posted on our website.

2. This is NOT an official file/hotfix. It is a file I threw out there with a quick, unofficial hacky fix to stop the pitots from freezing. As indicated in my comments on Discord - the entire thing is unwarrantied. But people kept hammering at us for not being able to use icing, so I provided a solution, unofficially. To date there has NEVER been any software update of any sort that has been exclusively distributed via Discord. 

This is NOT distributed "officially", it is NOT a patch that we want installed on every customer's PC, because it is untested and put together quickly for people that are deperate to use icing for whatever reason. Hence, it is not pushed via the installer/update system. 

Edited by Aamir
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 4

Aamir Thacker

Ghostflight Sierra-Tango-Zulu-Xray here, everything looks good so far. But I cannot find a weather condition with ice detectors actually giving ice warnings on my ECAM so I had to test it with random winder weather presets like "snowstorm" or "freezing rain" - and everything looks good so far.

No freezing speed tapes occured in short test flights ~20 minutes through clouds in various winter weather conditions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Awesome this photo is so retro but also disturbing at the same time 😄 Are these really from 1990? But the compact laser disc and the cassette tape and also floppy disks where already invented back in 1990, I think punched cards are more 1950-1971 technology. But I´ll take it because I collect retro tech and antique stuff! Would you also be so nice putting a rubber band around these 2987 punched cards before sending them to me? I know that 1 kilobyte of data is more than every average Windows user will ever use and need in his whole life - but I still want them.

Edited by JetCat

4 hours ago, JetCat said:

Awesome this photo is so retro but also disturbing at the same time 😄 Are these really from 1990? But the compact laser disc and the cassette tape and also floppy disks where already invented back in 1990, I think punched cards are more 1950-1971 technology.

This is so off-topic, but I think you might have to update your end date slightly. Cards were still in use after that. At Uni we had a CTL SAT1 operating as an RJE (Remote Job Entry) station until around 1976. This regularly needed to be rebooted from cards, with the card deck being regularly replaced due to it getting worn out.

• Like 1

Ian Box

Good Ol' Herman Hollerith came up with this type of card for the 1890 census, so "Hollerith Cards" have been around much earlier than 1950. 

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

This is so great having anti-ice back in the Fenix. I fly always in Alaska or Canada because of the framerate, everything up there runs smooth as butter even with ultra settings and perfect visuals and 2k resolution.... while on all American or EU airports no matter how much I mess around with the graphics settings I have a framerate like.... well do you remember in the eighties and nineties neighbours making slide show afternoons with cookies and milk presenting photos of their last vacation? It was about 1 slide-show-picture every two seconds. That´s the average FPS-rate on many US and EU airports.

(People sometimes claim the Fenix has bad FPS - no it´s always the airports and the surrounding scenery and the city-rendering and the fact that the sim is limited-to-one-CPU-thread that literally breaks the performance of a computer....)

Alaskan scenery and Canadian cities Canadian airports are fully fine and give perfect FPS, never below 20 FPS even with everything set to ultra settings and 2k resolution. That´s why anti-ice is so important - it is always snowy up there in the FPS-enhancing north.

spacer.png

On 12/13/2023 at 9:32 PM, Bobsk8 said:

I use Discord all the time for certain things. You want an answer in sometimes, no more than a few minutes, Discord is it. 

yeah bob that's great  if you know how it works and are able to access it ??? lol

• Upvote 1

ROG Crossair Hero X670e , 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM  6000 ( allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz ( allegedly ) TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +