Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

14 hours ago, brucewtb said:

OK I am genuinely curious as to what other folks are seeing on their displays at higher altitudes with T/O LOD at 300/400 that I don't see. Furthermore what I see at altitude in the distance at 100 LOD is certainly not a blurry mess - for instance at inibuilds KJFK at altitude the Manhattan city skyline has the same crisp clarity at 100 as it does at 300 there is no difference that I can see.

This has always been my experience as well.  Someone responded that it's much more about mountainous areas where it's more obvious.  But for most all of my flying in airliners it's just not very relevant.  I'm having a hard to dismissing the reality the slider is there so am now playing with higher LOD at high altitudes but the dang clouds are in the way right now 😉

I'm pretty impressed and am thankful for this app:  it's fixed the last remaining trouble spots which are on the ground, primarily at the arrival airport.  I'm noting panning while on the ground in the WT 787 is 100% perfect now whereas previously it could get very choppy with big sudden changes which I always assumed was just too much for my hardware--something that FG would not have addressed.  I have told myself I *should* do a PC upgrade and splurge with a Jetlines system when MSFS 2024 arrives, however we're told performance will be greatly enhanced on the CPU side.  Right now my GPU isn't working anywhere near peaks as it sits around 60% on average, but the 12Gb of VRAM may well turn out to be more relevant for the 2024 release.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Seems like the official thread about it on the MSFS forums just got deleted... wonder what took them so long 😄

• Like 4

7 hours ago, willy647 said:

The answer is just a couple of items up on this topic

I know which is why I edited the post. 

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Posted (edited)

Got it set up and working in VR with a reverb G2 and 14700k/4090.

Using these settings from a post I found someone else made.

First flight in Cessna out of EGLC very smooth.
spacer.png

The config is in the following location if you wanted to back it up to edit change the extension to a text file;

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DynamicLOD

spacer.png

Once done you can quickly change the above adding the below two lines highlighted, which saves some time manually adding each one:

<add key="tlodPairs0" value="0:50|200:55|400:60|600:63|800:65|1000:70|1200:75|1400:80|1600:85|1800:90|2000:95|2200:100|2400:105|2600:110|2800:115|3000:120|3200:125|3400:130|3600:135" />
  <add key="olodPairs0" value="0:100|150:70|250:65|350:60|450:55|550:50|650:45|850:40|1050:35|1250:30|1550:25|1750:20|1950:15|2150:10" />

spacer.png

Edited by Benrb7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Benrb7 said:

Got it set up and working in VR with a reverb G2 and 14700k/4090.

Using these settings from a post I found someone else made.
spacer.png

The config is in the following location if you wanted to back it up

spacer.png

The author of the tool recommends to not use as many different levels. You'll have the sim constantly loading and unloading stuff every 200 feet during climb and descent. This will create stutters and undo anything good this tool does. Just use 3 levels, like the default 0, 1500 and 5000.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

The author of the tool recommends to not use as many different levels. You'll have the sim constantly loading and unloading stuff every 200 feet during climb and descent. This will create stutters and undo anything good this tool does. Just use 3 levels, like the default 0, 1500 and 5000.

Ok noted thanks, I didn't notice and stutters or issues in my first flight.

As with most things FS related I will trial and error, changing levels drastically also likely to mean it's more obvious with the visible changes around you popping in and out.

I am sure there is a compromise that could be reached, I am also thinking of alternating the height at which TLOD and OLOD happens to avoid stuff happening at the same time, i.e.

TLOD OLOD

250ft   500ft

750ft   1000ft

1250ft 1500ft

Edited by Benrb7

Just now, Benrb7 said:

As with most things FS related I will trial and error, changing levels drastically also likely to mean it's more obvious working in the background.

You mean visually? That's true, but I don't think that's worse than having new buildings and trees appear every 200 feet 🙂

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

You mean visually? That's true, but I don't think that's worse than having new buildings and trees appear every 200 feet 🙂

Fair comment, but at only marginal steps it's going to be less obvious, I've adjusted with fewer steps to give that a go:

spacer.png

Code adjusted is

<add key="tlodPairs0" value="0:50|250:75|750:100|1250:125|1750:150|2250:175|2750:200" />
  <add key="olodPairs0" value="0:100|500:90|1000:80|1500:70|2000:60|2500:50" />

Edited by Benrb7

this addons violates Microsoft's usage terms (which the developer admits in the github description), do don't exact any discussion to be allowed on the official forums.

It’s the middling altitudes when TLOD is obvious like 500ft to 8000ft you can clearly see the edge of the detailed terrain, trees etc, and beyond blur. At very low altitudes you can’t see that far to see the edge, and when high you can’t make out the detail anyway. But for example at 3000ft on approach, one can clearly see where the detail is loaded and where it isn’t.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier but I'm not finding this issue in my searches...

Has anyone experienced the Sim Values parameters not changing at all while flying?  Mine are pegged at AGL= 0, FPM: 120 Trend: Cruise.

As a result, my preset TLOD and OLOD values never change from the ones on the ground.  All three Connection Status parameters are green....

Edited by MNORM

1 hour ago, MNORM said:

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier but I'm not finding this issue in my searches...

Has anyone experienced the Sim Values parameters not changing at all while flying?  Mine are pegged at AGL= 0, FPM: 120 Trend: Cruise.

As a result, my preset TLOD and OLOD values never change from the ones on the ground.  All three Connection Status parameters are green....

Be sure you don't have it running when you start MSFS, just let it autostart, I have noted that it wont work if I had it running before I start MSFS.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

7 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Seems like the official thread about it on the MSFS forums just got deleted... wonder what took them so long 😄

They're back from Christmas hols now.....

I hope they don’t implement this is in the sim. It will just be an another opportunity for them to downgrade the visuals in return for performance yet again.

Not saying it it’s a great tool. It really is. But needs to be tailored to the individual. I worry they’d just slap some values on that would end up reducing TLODs for those that don’t want them reduced.