Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

13 hours ago, abennett said:

Anyone any light to shed on reducing the stutter when changing TLODs

I'm pretty sure it's not so much the "changing" but whether or not your hardware can handle it the TLOD you're changing to.  I assumed at 30-40K feet AGL my hardware w/ my settings could handle TLOD of 300-400 and set it up that way, but it was major hammering of the CPU when I did that.  For climb I'm changing frequently w/o stutter, in fact not getting any stutter all the way up and back down again:

spacer.png

I do need to go up from TLOD of 20 on the ground as the runway lines get fuzzy too close, so will change to 30 and see if that's enough to resolve that.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

9 hours ago, brucewtb said:

After viewing Simhanger's video I still don't see the point of any of this apart from being conservative with object LOD when approaching a major airport to avoid stutters as from my testing it is airport objects that are most affected.  With terrain LOD at low levels all terrain looks like mush but as you increase TLOD the whole terrain becomes better rendered it doesn't seem to be a distance thing.  If you go much above 100 TLOD, fps drops but image quality and clarity doesn't so not much point in high levels of TLOD.  How trees look depends on your separate trees setting - I just leave mine at ultra.

Bruce

That's about my experience too...improving framerate around airports like KEWR and EGLL.  I'm studying the TLOD thing.  I saw someone post that, as TLOD goes higher, the night lighting of large cities in the distance looks significantly better.  To me, that looks to be true though I haven't done much experimenting yet.  

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have FSUIPC installed, so would it be better to auto-start via MSFS or FSUIPC? 

image.pngshow me where i am

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

13 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

That's about my experience too...improving framerate around airports like KEWR and EGLL.  I'm studying the TLOD thing.  I saw someone post that, as TLOD goes higher, the night lighting of large cities in the distance looks significantly better.  To me, that looks to be true though I haven't done much experimenting yet.  

Gregg

Yes on looking more closely at this high levels of TLOD do give you more lights in the distance at night but above about 150 you have to pixel peep to see the difference and only in clear weather.  The same applies to trees - yes more trees in the distance at high levels of TLOD and the Trees setting at Ultra but gee you have to look very closely to see them.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Posted (edited)

Clouds cover also has to be taken in to account. I noticed it in Europe last night which was pretty covered. I also noticed that i had forgot to set max performance for the GPU but overall its just fin tuning.  I like it alot.

50-175 Maddogx and 100÷200 GA

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

54 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Clouds cover also has to be taken in to account

This is why I'm experimenting a new function over Fragtality code, where it decreases cloud quality on Fps drop (instead of lowering LODs). Cloud quality has a major effect in VR. But cloud change on the fly is also much more visible unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

I have FSUIPC installed, so would it be better to auto-start via MSFS or FSUIPC? 

image.pngshow me where i am

via MSFS. Works fine for me (with FSUIPC installed)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

This is why I'm experimenting a new function over Fragtality code, where it decreases cloud quality on Fps drop (instead of lowering LODs). Cloud quality has a major effect in VR. But cloud change on the fly is also much more visible unfortunately.

That is a great idea.

In CPU-limited situations the TLOD setting is the one with the biggest FPS-impact.

In GPU-limited situations the Volumetric Cloud setting has a very high FPS-impact.

So to include this setting in this tool would be a great addition.

The setting with the most FPS-impact in GPU-limited situations though is the Render Scaling setting. Do you think that can also be changed on the fly? Apart from that maybe the visual difference would be too noticeable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

The setting with the most FPS-impact in GPU-limited situations though is the Render Scaling setting. Do you think that can also be changed on the fly?

I don't know, but it seems really risky as it changes the pipeline resolution. I won't try that personally. But you can 😉

Edited by roland_lfor

Roland

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

5 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

I don't know, but it seems really risky as it changes the pipeline resolution. I won't try that personally. But you can 😉

Unfortunately that would be way over my head... 😉

1 hour ago, roland_lfor said:

It'd be even smarter to lower the cloud quality whenever the skies are clear, so we wont mind seeing - or not seeing - low quality cloud textures!!!😁🤪🙃

Posted (edited)

If someone want to try my version 3.2 with cloud quality adjustment * at your own risk - no support *

>>> It's HERE

I suggest that you unzip it in a different folder than the original version 3.1.

However It will use (and complete with new value/keys pair) the DynamicLod.config file in the original 3.1 folder: [C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\DynamicLOD]

It' functional in VR profile as well.

You have to enable "Use cloud quality' not to change it along different AGLs (which has not much sense), but as a wished target when FPS are above the threshold. Here are my settings to decrease could quality on Fps drop below 22 fps, with a "High" quality whish. (0 -> 3 is Low -> Ultra)

image_51.png

Edited by roland_lfor
  • Like 9

Roland

On 1/6/2024 at 4:15 AM, roland_lfor said:

What I’ve found is the worst for FPS strangely enough is like a light mist or very light cloud. You’re working on the LOD mod that frag said he wouldn’t update?

1 hour ago, mryan75 said:

What I’ve found is the worst for FPS strangely enough is like a light mist or very light cloud. You’re working on the LOD mod that frag said he wouldn’t update?

Yes, see above

• Like 1

Roland

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, roland_lfor said:

Yes, see above

I guess I didn’t have to look too far 😂 Thanks! That’s a very interesting idea. If you have the decrease cloud on fps drop option enabled, does it still decrease the LODs along with the clouds or does it just decrease cloud quality. I ask because the text in the image says “(instead of…”.

I was hoping someone would pick this project up and this is a very interesting development!

Edited by mryan75