Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

IMHO, they (LR) should try to ...

40 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Well start programming than you will understand the complexities, but I seriously  doubt you want to know. Our weather forecasters with there billion dollar super computers cant get it right, how on earth do you expect laminar to get it right with with incomplete and dodgy info.

As my daylight (sometimes night) job, I do know programming, I do know about weather modelling, I did offer  suggestions to LR, such as the now modelled geopotential height, but not only, but I really don't want to go that route now... and, one thing are the complexities of weather forecast and more precisely, numerical forecast, which I know very closely, the other is a bug creating rain almost whenever there are clouds, irrespective of the remaining weather variables...

This being said I do acknowledge the progresses in terms of weather rendering, and the colours ( biology has a good deal of "responsibility" in this success ... and he now makes part of the team, which is Great News! ).

I also acknowledge some important progress in details of flight dynamics modelling (also thanks for instance to Murmur), but I am really willing to see this "rain bug" addressed.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think LR should refrain from "The Most Advanced Simulator" and "Simulation Done Right" and just call it a game...right? LOL, who's LR kidding, we all know is just marketing wording.  Maybe instead just say: If you want "Realism and Avionics Fidelity" an add-on is required.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Going by the last blog update, there are those of us who would agree that it is the most advanced flight sim.  Among other things, I don’t know any other flight sim that has landing gear physics. 
Carlos, you’ve seen planemaker. You know, very well, what it contains. That, alone, is enough to tell you that X-Plane is the most advanced flight sim.

Airfoil maker.  Same thing.  You could literally take data from the manufacturers documents and enter them into airfoil maker, and have that airfoil in the sim.  

No other flight sim has all that.  Not even close. Not an opinion. It’s a fact. 

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

but I am really willing to see this "rain bug" addressed.

Rumor has it that LR's discord channel has choir practice on this one every Sunday morning. You should create an account! You'd fit right in 😉

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

2 hours ago, CarlosF said:

"Simulation Done Right"

I know, right? It's as if they've done something as asinine as write a motion simulator that solves forces and moments simultaneously on the same surface element?! Can you imagine such lunacy? Oh wait.... that's someone else.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

3 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I think LR should refrain from "The Most Advanced Simulator" and "Simulation Done Right" and just call it a game...right? LOL, who's LR kidding, we all know is just marketing wording.  Maybe instead just say: If you want "Realism and Avionics Fidelity" an add-on is required.

Well they fooled all those proffesional users out there. I guess you must be smarter than all of them.

3 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Well, as good as Alsim, Unigine and project antoinette are, they just aren't X-Plane 12 good.

Unigine does come close, even exceeds XP12 in some respects like snow, but for $100,000+ with no default aircraft that is kinda to be expected.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

15 hours ago, CarlosF said:

I second jcomm's comments.

The way I see it, if LR claims to have the "The World's Most Advanced Flight Simulator" and "Simulation Done Right" then prove it by providing at least one airplane with all the bells and whistles and as close as possible to the real life counterpart. 

I personally vote for Austin's Lancair. Way cool hot rod turboprop.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GoranM said:

Your level of realism differs to mine.  Do I want Laminar to make something as detailed as the CL650?  Of course not.  That will kill the 3rd party add on market for others who can't code at Saso's level.  The CL650 is an example of what can be made, though.

Austin has always set a bar for default aircraft, to make room for the payware market.  You know they're capable of making high fidelity aircraft.  Between Sid, Ben Supnik, Jim and the other coders, who I won't mention, they can make default aircraft that will make your head spin.  

X-Plane as a flight sim, as you know, is extremely flexible, and whatever can't be done, can, for the most part, be added if the request is put in.  

I sure would love it if they would add the Direct Lift Control functions to the Tomcat's spoilers...

Bringing that aircraft into the sim as a flight model demo and then leaving off the DLC is a cryin' shame.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

If I were Austin, I would do the following:

- Use OSM - the way X-World does, but 1st party

- Weather Radar - that's coming

- G1000 - bring that in line with WT standards

- Screw ortho - seasons will suffer with that. I don't think even MS knows what they will do with it. All their data is sat - can't change ground textures to be seasonal. Good luck! Autogen will win with BETTER autogen. I don't care about your house and what it looks like. Just give me accurate streets and buildings. Expand the architecture library to be regionally believable. 

- Keep going. Folding isn't an option. Yes, the "enemy" is powerful, but utilize their weakness - catering to X-Box. 

OSM can't be used if you want an accurate global world of objects, it's very sparse in most places. They should use a digitalised form of objects on earth ie. Blackshark AI.

Edited by UKflyer

27 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

OSM can't be used if you want an accurate global world of objects, it's very sparse in most places. They should use a digitalised form of objects on earth ie. Blackshark AI.

28 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

If I were Austin, I would do the following:

- Use OSM - the way X-World does, but 1st party

- Weather Radar - that's coming

- G1000 - bring that in line with WT standards

- Screw ortho - seasons will suffer with that. I don't think even MS knows what they will do with it. All their data is sat - can't change ground textures to be seasonal. Good luck! Autogen will win with BETTER autogen. I don't care about your house and what it looks like. Just give me accurate streets and buildings. Expand the architecture library to be regionally believable. 

- Keep going. Folding isn't an option. Yes, the "enemy" is powerful, but utilize their weakness - catering to X-Box. 

And that’s all I wish for X-plane

Happy Holiday's and Merry X-mas

• Like 1

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

6 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

I sure would love it if they would add the Direct Lift Control functions to the Tomcat's spoilers...

Bringing that aircraft into the sim as a flight model demo and then leaving off the DLC is a cryin' shame.

I've asked about that in the Laminar Slack group, and I have tagged Austin and Ben.  I'll get back to you if they respond.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I've asked about that in the Laminar Slack group, and I have tagged Austin and Ben.  I'll get back to you if they respond.

I'm pretty sure X-Plane flight model could reproduce DLC with no issues, although it's a very specific feature and would likely need to be custom coded in the aircraft plugin.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

6 minutes ago, Murmur said:

I'm pretty sure X-Plane flight model could reproduce DLC with no issues, although it's a very specific feature and would likely need to be custom coded in the aircraft plugin.

Absolutely. It can definitely be coded. But I’d be surprised if it wasn’t already in planemaker somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, CarlosF said:

LOL, you are also missing the point.

No, he didn't! Or the other way round? Namely he did.
Either way ... they (LR) don't say, they have the PERFECT simulator, but "the most realistic". By that they mean "the most realistic currently available, but further improvements are possible and definitively will come (like during the last around 30 years)".

Edited by flying_carpet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.