Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Frame generation for all RTX cards

2 hours ago, Noel said:

My hunch is EVERYONE has the issue of ghosting on 2D windows

And there is a good reason I think. In order to add an extra frame, Frame Generation needs to predict the missing data between one frame and the next.
Since 2D elements don't move the same way as the 3D elements do, the prediction is off for these elements.

The obvious solution is to only predict the 3D elements and leave the 2D in their place but this "hack" cannot tell wether screen pixels are part of a 2D or 3D element.
Perhaps Asobo can fix this by adding support for this method of Frame Generation in MSFS. If those with a 40xx series card don't have these issues with Frame Generation than it might be solvable this way.
Newer versions of this method might make this effect less noticable but I doubt it can be completely solved without MSFS telling the FG process which parts of the screen to ignore.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, orchestra_nl said:

And there is a good reason I think. In order to add an extra frame, Frame Generation needs to predict the missing data between one frame and the next.
Since 2D elements don't move the same way as the 3D elements do, the prediction is off for these elements.

The obvious solution is to only predict the 3D elements and leave the 2D in their place but this "hack" cannot tell wether screen pixels are part of a 2D or 3D element.
Perhaps Asobo can fix this by adding support for this method of Frame Generation in MSFS. If those with a 40xx series card don't have these issues with Frame Generation than it might be solvable this way.
Newer versions of this method might make this effect less noticable but I doubt it can be completely solved without MSFS telling the FG process which parts of the screen to ignore.

Plausible.  I've not heard of anyone mentioning this with 40xx GPUs, so I have to assume it's being managed differently than this FG mod.  If this 2D ghosting IS happening w/ 40xx then very little point in buying one for my next build, which will be sometime this year unless MSFS 2024's major performance boosts obviates that.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, chapstick said:

Everyone has it and there is no solution. 

Sure there is: don’t open menus. I don’t use any and so this isn’t an issue at all for me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mryan75 said:

Sure there is: don’t open menus. I don’t use any and so this isn’t an issue at all for me. 

Do you use PMDG 73x's HUD? 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 hours ago, Noel said:

Do you use PMDG 73x's HUD? 

spacer.png

Nah. 

19 hours ago, mryan75 said:

That's not a solution for ghosting, it's an adaptation or workaround on the user's part.  Hopefully it will get truly fixed some time at which point there really will be little to no reason to upgrade to 40xx GPU

• Like 1

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

That's not a solution for ghosting, it's an adaptation or workaround on the user's part.  Hopefully it will get truly fixed some time at which point there really will be little to no reason to upgrade to 40xx GPU

Maybe not from a FRG perspective, Noel but I think I would find a bit more VRAM useful.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 minute ago, cianpars said:

Maybe not from a FRG perspective, Noel but I think I would find a bit more VRAM useful.

Yep, for sure.  That is my only source of potential stutters now.

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Yep, for sure.  That is my only source of potential stutters now.

I think some of my stutters come from ATC communications and I'm wondering if this would improve if I got a dedicated sound card rather than use what is on my MOBO.

To be fair though, most of them come from loading in addon scenery and the fact that I probably have some of my settings a bit higher than I should (particularly TLOD).

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Very true, that was dismissive of me.

4 hours ago, cianpars said:

I think some of my stutters come from ATC communications and I'm wondering if this would improve if I got a dedicated sound card rather than use what is on my MOBO.

To be fair though, most of them come from loading in addon scenery and the fact that I probably have some of my settings a bit higher than I should (particularly TLOD).

I know sound cards cause some issues in the sim. For example I don't have a sound driver installed (I forget which one) because it was problematic.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the FG mod, it's seductive, the syrupy panning.  What I notice though, is in a way it's not really natural at all.  Here's what I mean:  when I turn my head in the real world, look to the side at a moderate or brisk pace, when it hits the end of the rotation laterally, it stops instantly.  There is no soft, syrupyness to it if you will.   For me, it was seductive and desirable, the syrupy part, but taint quite natural either.  So after 3 flights using the FG mod I switched back to my base rate of 34, with perfect frame time consistency and nary a stutter out of KSFO in the PMDG 738 40 minute ago and it was just fabulous.  No ghosting, and really most of all, when I hit my second screen w/ the mouse to browse, or click on an SLC control, then go back to the main sim screen, the whole image judders sometimes big time other times lesser, but talk about immersion breaking.   Anyway, I think I'll likely leave it off as w/ Dynamic LOD now any hint of stutters have essentially disappears and again I retain the superior method of sync/locking, which BTW works well with the FG mod so that's awesome and may be contributing to that syrupy aspect.   I look forward to picking up 4090 sometime this year to add FG w/o these side effects when I do a new build.  I need to find out of the 2nd screen issue isn't w/ 40xx GPUs, like it is with FG mod.  Who knows may not need a new CPU after MSFS 2024 arrives so won't do a whole build until we know if it's truly needed w/ the multithreading enhancements being touted.

• Like 2

Noel

Had to disable the mod, just getting DXGI Device Hung errors in the main menus all the time.