Sign in to follow this  
Jean Paul Reuland

Real life landing passengers planes

Good evening

This is basically addressed to real captains. I would like to know if it's a policy of airlines to authorize pilots to switch off the auto pilot and land the planes manually? Or pilots are requested to fully land the planes in auto pilot until touch down? I see very often videos on YouTube where autopilot are disabled when runways are in sight.

Thank you

Rgards

JP Reuland

The autopilot in many jets can land an aircraft. But pilots choose to manually land their planes to keep their landing skills sharp. This was told to me from a real world 747 captain. 

• Like 1

Nothing replaces real world landings. It’s just a habit they developed. 

• Like 1

I know one pilot (he even posts full flight videos on YT) that flies A319 manually up to 5-6k feet, sometimes up to 10k. If airline allows it, pilots can do it. I asked that pilot via YT comments why is he flying manually up to 10k feet, and his answer was simple and best possible - "I just love flying airplanes."

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Well, this pilot must be extremely confident about the passengers lives, the cargo on board and the value of the plane itself and that nothing will never happen!!!

I am glad that I am pensioned and will not fly anymore at 78!!😀

Thank you all for your comments

JP Reuland

27 minutes ago, Jean Paul Reuland said:

Well, this pilot must be extremely confident about the passengers lives, the cargo on board and the value of the plane itself and that nothing will never happen!!!

JP Reuland

That's a very odd position to take.

I have several thousand hours in big jets and have have auto-landed perhaps 4 times, and only when visibility is sufficiently low to require it.

In anything above Cat1 visibility I have never autolanded. That's industry standard. For a start at anything above Cat1 visibility you have no ILS protections so the autoland can be a bit ropey.

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

At my company, it is permissible to hand fly below FL200. I generally request autopilot on climb out above 10,000, and on approach, I hand fly visual approaches from the base leg with the runway in sight, or once in visual conditions on an instrument approach. Keeps the skills sharp…in addition to just being more fun.

• Like 1

Chris

2 hours ago, Jean Paul Reuland said:

JP Reuland

Do you suggest that the autopilot is more reliable than the pilot himself? Indeed a strange point of view probably not shared by real pilots. And what makes you think that would be the case?

• Like 1

at some airlines the insurance denotes when an autoland is being used.  I seem to remember when the first a380 came out the insurance company would only allow autolands for a period of time at singapore and emirates.  I could be wrong maybe that was galley FM

and again its written in airlines SOP's as to what the drivers are alowed to do and what not to do with hand flying, for example at what point you have to be "stable" by 

14ppkc-6.png

I always hand fly the landing mainly because the auto pilot can't do it in the jet I fly lol.. Even if it could,I'd still hand fly the landing. The airline I work for encourages hand flying to keep those skills sharp, as per the FAA airlines can operate a flight with no working autopilot so if those skills aren't shap its gonna be a long stressful flight having to handfly. I usually kick the auto pilot on at 10,000 and off at 10,000

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

9 hours ago, Jean Paul Reuland said:

Good evening

This is basically addressed to real captains. I would like to know if it's a policy of airlines to authorize pilots to switch off the auto pilot and land the planes manually? Or pilots are requested to fully land the planes in auto pilot until touch down? I see very often videos on YouTube where autopilot are disabled when runways are in sight.

Thank you

Rgards

JP Reuland

Well, this is a "it depends" situation, but I will give you my general spill. In regard to automation and manually flying, you have to know and be proficient at both. In fact, during your 61.58 check and recurrents, you will do both. It's essential that you maintain proficiency to be able to handle all situations. For example, you visit an airfield where you can't autoland. Take St. Kitts for example, TKPK only has an NDB and plenty jets land there. I know when I would land there, there would be 777-200s in and out of there. Here in the USA, the FAA also requires that you circle during reccurents and checks. The last time you want to test your manual proficiency is at night, engine out with a crosswind. Also imagine those airports such as KLGA where it is common to do visuals for traffic flow in VMC. Also, KDCA where you do the visual/RNAV to 19. There is no auto land for that runway😁. Now, for sure, there are requirements for the crew and aircraft to perform so many auto lands to maintain certification.

But as I was saying, we have to be proficient at both. In the operations I've been in, you had requirements where you had to log ever so often. They were, HUD, VFR traffic patterns, night/day landings, precision, non precisions, GPS, go arounds, etc. Most, you will do in a simulator, others you take on in the jet as opportunities occur. It's a good practice. Not only do you have to do manual go arounds, you have to do auto gos as well. Both require slightly different procedures and responsibilities between the two pilots. I can't speak for every operation, but I am sure they have similar requirements to get you your required proficiency.

Edited by G550flyer
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jean Paul Reuland said:

If a pilot hand flying the airplane posed a safety risk that pilot shouldn't be anywhere near an airplane.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Yeah you definitely want to turn of the AP once you can see the RWY. Unless you want to sit in a passenger seat for landing. Better leave the AP on then!🤔

People seems to forget that computers are made by people, and guess what people make mistakes, I have far more confidence in our Aussie pilots than any AP.