Sign in to follow this  
Brad27

Admin Rights - P3Dv4

Hello,

Can anyone suggest the steps i should take to make my P3Dv4 setup aware that i want to be able to make changes to cfg files for example. Currently when trying to save i am unable to do so.

I have already made the amendment of running program as administrator but that still doesnt seem to allow me to edit files within P3D.

Its installed in program files not program files x86.

I think i need to edit the security permissions (if i recall from years and years ago) i just cant recall how to do so.

BTW this PC is used by myself only.

Edited by Brad27

Brad - P3Dv4.5

AIG Moderator | Afcad Editor | FAIB Beta | FSPX Beta

I use NotePad++ and when I try to save a cfg a message appears saying I need to run Notepad++ in admin mode. It closes the current one and reopens automatically with admin rights. I can them save the file.

If you're using the standard NotePad that option may not be available.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Brad27 said:

Its installed in program files not program files x86.

Any folder with a name beginning with "Program Files" gets special treatment in Windows as a protected system folder, so putting it there didn't save you any grief.

I don't know that it's possible to turn off all the redirection and other protection Windows does there.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I had done this before...I just cant recall how.

Ive had a right mare with upgrading to P3D v5, removing it and then coming back to v4...which is why i'm now trying to work out what the steps were to get full permissions over the P3Dv4 installation.

Brad - P3Dv4.5

I think you can save the file in a non protected folder and then copy and paste it back into the protected folder overwriting the existing file.

@Brad27, if you have P3D (any version) installed within any Program Files area that will create issues. You’re far better installing to the root drive such as C:\P3Dv5.

Any cfg files in that parent folder will be able to be edited without restriction.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Select the P3D folder in Explorer, select "Properties", then "Security" and make sure that the Users group has write and modify permissions.

Cheers

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I was looking at this window under the security tab (for P3Dv4) and theres a list of different "user entries" all with varying levels of permissions...

Theres, Everyone, all application packages, all restricted app packages, creator owner, system, me, administrators, users, trusted installer.

The entry for me is the only one with full permissions tick wise including special permissions. All the others have a varying range of 2 or 3 ticks only or have all ticks except special permissions....

Brad - P3Dv4.5

1 hour ago, Brad27 said:

I was looking at this window under the security tab (for P3Dv4) and theres a list of different "user entries" all with varying levels of permissions...

Theres, Everyone, all application packages, all restricted app packages, creator owner, system, me, administrators, users, trusted installer.

The entry for me is the only one with full permissions tick wise including special permissions. All the others have a varying range of 2 or 3 ticks only or have all ticks except special permissions....

That's why you should avoid installing to the windows "Program Files" paths.

If you create a new folder on the root of say "C:\" drive and check the windows security permissions it should have just 4 x groups.

• Authenticated Users (Modify)
  • SYSTEM (Full Control)
  • Administators (Full Control)
  • Users (Read & execute, List Folder Contents, Read)

Once you've logged into your Windows workstation you'll be authenticated and thus will have modify rights where the "Authenticated Users" group has been provided with Modify rights. Modify rights are the level needed to read/write/modify etc.

Further info:

Windows file system (NTFS) permissions can be a bit of a hastle working out what is needed when the Owner Creator is also thrown into the mix, as Owner Creator gives high level rights to the Owner/Creater of the file/folder overriding other permissions, I've seen Orgs unintentionally lock users out of accessing shared files due to the use of the Owner/Creater group. Additionally permissions can be unexpected when files are moved rather than copied, and at times it maybe required to take ownership of files and folders in order to be able to manage them.

If the above is all Greek, then yes, windows NTFS file and share permissions can be an involved subject where many I.T. pros even have difficulty with.

Recommend Googling NTFS permissions for additional info.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Did you get this resolved?

Jim

CYWG

There is absolutely nothing wrong with installing to the Program Files folders if you simply do as Luke (and Steve W before him) have suggested with respect to security permissions. I installed FSX and several versions of P3D between 2008 and 2019 in the Program Files (or Program Files x86 folder), and I never suffered from any file save problems (or had to run anything as administrator).

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If an application is installed to a Program Files area yet needs the install root folder ACL (Access Control List) changed to allow modifying, a better option is to not install the application to a Program Files area.

That way there is no need to mess with the Program Files ACL at all.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Agreed. Why create problems for yourself?

P3D folder is read-only so we only need to make it read/write:

Right click on the folder "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin" and choose Properties

Choose Security tab and click Edit

Choose the Users group item in the top window and check the Modify Allow box

Click on OK, OK and it's done

The reason we add modify to the users group is because that group contains the authenticated user (you) and allows you to read/write any files in that folder without allowing malware to write to it.

Checking one box in folder Properties is hardly any effort to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

What SteveW did was the basic same thing I did.  Works.

Jim

CYWG

• Like 1