Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

New Installation Tool (Simstaller)

Just now, Reader said:

@Keven Menard

Could you explain a little more about the possible ramifications of the list of overrides that this tool provides please?

We made an article about this. Let me know if you have questions beyond that. 

I see potential conflicts, now what? (parallel42.com)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

7 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

Yes, you can have it install wherever you want so it gets captured by AL after.

I use Addon Linker to be able to have most of my addons in various (and nested) folders *across various drives* outside of the Community Folder. Simstaller appears only to accept one path. I can imagine you could add multiple paths to Simstaller, but then you'd have the problem of pointing new addons to specific paths <??>.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

8 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

I use Addon Linker to be able to have most of my addons in various (and nested) folders *across various drives* outside of the Community Folder. Simstaller appears only to accept one path. I can imagine you could add multiple paths to Simstaller, but then you'd have the problem of pointing new addons to specific paths <??>.

BXl9Xwj.png

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

38 minutes ago, Keven Menard said:

BXl9Xwj.png

Aaah ... so *that's* what bookmarks do!!! Many thanks - I'll give it another whirl 🙂

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Looks like we need Siminstaller to download the Siminstaller, quite a slow-motion download!.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

On 1/3/2024 at 10:01 AM, MarcG said:

it's all done for them nice and easily.

...and that is exactly the problem, IMHO. Spending a few houurs understanding file structures, how to unzip, copy, paste, etc. files will help you understand what you're doing, instead of relying on some funky "helper program" that, in the end, may cause problems of its own.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm I'm very close to reinstall MSFS from scratch because I have so many CTDs in recent times. Would this tool help to identify any conflicts of my current installation.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

4 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

...and that is exactly the problem, IMHO. Spending a few houurs understanding file structures, how to unzip, copy, paste, etc. files will help you understand what you're doing, instead of relying on some funky "helper program" that, in the end, may cause problems of its own.

It's the world we live in, next time you get in your car tell me if you turn the headlights & windscreen wipers on manually 😄 This is a cool tool for those that will forever need help with PC usage, we're not all experts 😉

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 1/3/2024 at 6:33 AM, Amon1973 said:

Keven, can you use this app with add-on linker?

Just to be clear, for those who don't already know: Addon Linker does not install actual addon files into Community. It places LINKS to the files, which are stored wherever you want to keep them, into the Community folder.

This is like owning a Tesla vs a car where you are complete control. Technology and all this AI stuff is making people so dependent and lazier. It's good to learn the manual way of doing things. Not shaming this tool. But if people keep falling into this trap, then yes the world as you know it has already been on a steep decline, especially since 2007 when the "smart" phone came into existence.

• Upvote 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

16 hours ago, cobalt said:

Just to be clear, for those who don't already know: Addon Linker does not install actual addon files into Community. It places LINKS to the files, which are stored wherever you want to keep them, into the Community folder.

I used Windsailer to auto install mods from flightsim.to, which might now be redundant?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

59 minutes ago, Amon1973 said:

I used Windsailer to auto install mods from flightsim.to, which might now be redundant?

Seems to me that if you use Addon Linker there would be no need for any other add-on tool. At least I can't see how there would be.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 6:06 PM, Adamski_NZ said:

Aaah ... so *that's* what bookmarks do!!! Many thanks - I'll give it another whirl 🙂

This "ADD" button doesn't seem to do anything for me.....

There does not seem to be a way for me to change the folder location.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

20 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

This "ADD" button doesn't seem to do anything for me.....

You can't add the same folder to bookmarks twice.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42