Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Toggle this OFF and experience more smoothness

Although I have been very happy with the overall smoothness of P3dv5.4, I truly believe that this one adjustment helps the sim fly even smoother.  I'm referring to the Dynamic Texture Streaming toggle in the sim's settings.  I used to keep it on because it was supposed to help with VRAM usage.  However, I found that toggling it OFF really improved the smoothness of the sim, and transitioning between views during flight is even more brisk and without pause.

I know that activating it is supposed to dynamically optimize texture sizes to reduce VRAM usage, and disabling it is supposed to increase performance at the cost of VRAM usage. For me in my sim, it has not  created any problems with excessive VRAM usage.  So, it works for me.

Let me know your opinion on this config change, and if it works in a positive manner on your systems.

Stan

• Like 2

I've never used it for the reasons you described.

I have it off for some time, since I have enough VRAM. I can't tell a difference in smoothness but compression and reloading of textures is not needed. Years ago I tried to work with compressed disks and also there I didn't experience performance changes.

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

This works for me too. Been running a while with this option toggled OFF. Just need to keep an eye on vRAM consumption when some detailed/complex sceneries are loaded  but my sim is pretty smooth. Running V5.3 HF2.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I always had this option on because with my old setup I was always running out of VRAM and having it on helped a lot. Now that I have a new computer setup I probably have enough (I have 32GB of RAM now) to turn that option off, just haven't done it (probably just forgot about it since it has been clicked on for so long).

I had it enabled but I'll try some flights with it off. Given I limit fps to 30 with VSync I won't see an increase in fps but I'll check smoothness.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the tip! I've just toggled mine off after having it on for ages. I recently bought a 3060 video card with 12 gigs of VRAM, so I'm not too worried about running out. I do notice that toggling off Dynamic Texture Streaming does in fact result in higher VRAM usage, but I still have lots left, so no worries there.

I notice that textures seem to be more stable (less fluctuation in texturing) and P3D v5.4 does seem smoother. I also think that the textures look sharper ... but I may just be imagining that.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Well, I tried Dynamic Texture Streaming off and it was a bit smoother. Although at LatinVFR's Miami and Fort Lauderdale (and a few other sceneries) VRAM got uncomfortably close to the limit, so at those airports I will leave Dynamic Texture Streaming on.

May not be wise with my GTX 1070 with only 8gb of VRAM currently flying Fs Labs a320 but I will give it a try.

Vic green

7 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

May not be wise with my GTX 1070 with only 8gb of VRAM currently flying Fs Labs a320 but I will give it a try.

I'm using a 1080TI and it works great for me  (fingers crossed).

Today I flew a trip from KCLT to KLGA in an FSL A320 with dynamic texture streaming off with no  VRAM issues at all. FSDT KCLT and the LaGuardia add on I don’t remember the developer. Looks like a good discovery. Drezwicki design NY airports is what I used. 

Vic green

Flew from KSFO to KDEN today with Defender off and Dynamic Texture Streaming off and it was a beautifully smooth flight. No pauses, no stutters and no blurry textures occurred during the entire flight.

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

Turned this off in 6.1 and it does seem to make a difference.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

20 hours ago, Sabre57 said:

Turned this off in 6.1 and it does seem to make a difference.

Maybe I need to go to "SpecSavers" because, for the life of me, I can't find this option in V6.1.

Also, I don't really "get" this thread, as to why the switching off of "Dynamic Texture Streaming" is being presented as if it's new discovery or something akin to one.

This option has been in P3DV5 for quite sometime now and it even tells you that turning it off will increase performance but at the cost of more Vram usage.

Edited by Sparkrite

2 hours ago, Sparkrite said:

Also, I don't really "get" this thread, as to why the switching off of "Dynamic Texture Streaming" is being presented as if it's new discovery or something akin to one

I think that those of us long-term P3D users switched on "Dynamic Texture Streaming" long ago and have just kinda forgotten about it. That's certainly the case for me.

I'm pleasantly surprised that turning it off has had great results for me.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB)