Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Use of ORBX Vector in p3d v5.4...

Last year I purchased for the very first time since years using P3D, 2 new ORBX products:

- Vector

- LC Europe

which together with Global Range are my only ORBX products installed in v5.4.

A friend has told me that Vector was actually obsolete for v5.4 because that version was already released with a World "recut" complete enough to encompass the content provided by ORBX Vector.

Can any of you confirm this ?

Any suggestions ?  Should I disable it - because he also told me it could be heavy on VRAM ?

Thx !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

I used to have Ultimate Terrain Europe, NA and the Caribbean. They did much the same as Orbx Vector seems to do. Improve accuracy of coastlines, rivers etc. etc.

One day when I had v5.1 I did a comparison of the map view around LIverpool as the coast and Mersey river is quite detailed there. To my surprise there was no difference with UT enabled and disabled. LM revised all the world's coastlines in v5 but never shouted it from the roof tops.

At that point I uninstalled all my UT addons. I think you could probably do the same for Vector and it may well improve performance as that was considered by some to be a fps hog.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The consensus here was that, with v5, Vector was redundant. However, with the default v5 vector scenery, I was finding some road elevation inconsistencies in several places, like Heathrow and Kai Tak, i.e., airport roads were over 100 ft AGL.

While I don't know what made me install Vector, I do know that I no longer have these issues. I can't comment on FPS impact, I haven't noticed anything yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I had vector for p3dv5 disabled for a long time but since September last year I have it enabled again. I found out that without it structures like rivers or lakes don't show up. I started a post about this at September 8th last year. You can prove it for yourself. Start P3D with ORBX global base and OLC NA. That is wat I use. Go to the first airport in the dropdown list (TN 41 Aker Wood). Just a simple strip. Then select top-down look; first with vector off and then with vector on. And compare it with google earth. When vector is off the water (lakes, rivers) in the near vicinity of TN41 is missing. So I thought, if it can be there then it can be everywhere. Since that date I have vector alsways enabled. 

• Like 2

Having ORBX Vector installed definitely doubles my startup time from run as administrator to scenario screen. I have to keep global or some of my ORBX airports will not work.

• Like 1

Vic green

Good day

Every 3 to 6 months this item comes up. and I reply with the same answer. To use ORBX Vector or not? In summary, I use ORBX vector because the default vector data has issues in the areas where I do a lot of my flying.

LM changed how airport backgrounds were disabled in P3DV5. ORBX did a quick fix by just making 9 large files that cover the whole world to excluded the default vector scenery items. These files take a long time to load and will cause delays in loading the sim when started, the Flight planner taking a long time to load, zooming out with GPS units and long stutters when flying.  I created a fix to exclude the default vector scenery using smaller files improving loading times and is available in the AVSIM library here: AVSIM Library.

Here is a link from a previous post on the subject with more information: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/630035-vector-in-p3dv53/

If you try my fix, any feedback is appreciated.

Regards John C.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

5 minutes ago, johncott said:

Regards John C.

Now that you say it John, that's the reason I couldn't find any FPS impact: I was using your fix! Thank you very much for this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON) Ryzen 7 5700X3D (with SMT off and CO -50 mV), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

17 minutes ago, johncott said:

Good day

Every 3 to 6 months this item comes up. and I reply with the same answer. To use ORBX Vector or not? In summary, I use ORBX vector because the default vector data has issues in the areas where I do a lot of my flying.

LM changed how airport backgrounds were disabled in P3DV5. ORBX did a quick fix by just making 9 large files that cover the whole world to excluded the default vector scenery items. These files take a long time to load and will cause delays in loading the sim when started, the Flight planner taking a long time to load, zooming out with GPS units and long stutters when flying.  I created a fix to exclude the default vector scenery using smaller files improving loading times and is available in the AVSIM library here: AVSIM Library.

Here is a link from a previous post on the subject with more information: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/630035-vector-in-p3dv53/

Regards John C.

BIG THANK YA !!!!

👍

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

48 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Now that you say it John, that's the reason I couldn't find any FPS impact: I was using your fix! Thank you very much for this.

yeah same for me! John you really did the community a huge favor with that fix! 🙏

• Like 1

i7 13700K @ 5.3 ghz / DeepCool AK620 Cooler / MSI Z790 Tomahawk WiFi / 32GB Trident DDR5 RAM @ 7200 mhz / 24GB Gainward 3090 Geforce RTX  / 2 TB SSD WD Black SN850X NVMe / 1 TB SSD Samsung 990 Pro series / 2 TB SSD Samsung 980 Pro Series / 500 gb and 250 gb SSD Samsung Evo 850 / RM1000W Corsair PSU

7 hours ago, Rein2 said:

When vector is off the water (lakes, rivers) in the near vicinity of TN41 is missing. So I thought, if it can be there then it can be everywhere. Since that date I have vector alsways enabled. 

Yep, Watts Bar lake is completely missing in stock P3Dv5. 

I use John C's vector excludes and it did improve performance/loading times.  Thanks, John!

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

Hi, is this mod still valid for P3D V6???

Jorge

Edited by aeronauta

John C. another very happy user of your mod which I was completely unaware of until reading your message above!

Quite a noticeable performance upgrade ar least in p3d loading time a d in keeping my half refresh rate of 30fps almost permanently there!!!

Big Thx!!!

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

3 hours ago, aeronauta said:

Hi, is this mod still valid for P3D V6???

Jorge

I have not tried my fixed in P3DV6.  I did check the file structure in V6 and it has the same issues that V5 had with the excludes and airport backgrounds.  So in theory it should work. I do not have an install procedure on how to install my fixed into V6.  Maybe some other users may be able to provide feedback and how they installed my Fix into V6.

John C.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

I tried reinstalling Orbx Vector tonight again.  I had uninstalled it in 5.4 because I really thought it decreased performance.  After a simple flight from KABE to KMIA, the performance was significantly unacceptable. I then uninstalled it again.  I'm sure I will be happier without it.

Thank you , I will have also a look...

Jorge