Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Maintaining the Highest Frame Rates

16 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

I know this has been discussed before, but I have been away from MSFS for the past couple of months due to work, etc. In the MSFS settings, which are the most critical to adjust down, in order to get the best frame rates? I assume traffic is one, but I am not overly familiar with what some of the other settings do.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Pete

as a fsimmer since '98 i recommend

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-su12-update-7-26-2023/132407

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky38i said:

AMD released their AFMF on stable drivers, which is a driver-level FG that works on pretty much all games. It's not like DLSS3 which is software level and requires Asobo to implement it (FSR3 equivelant). Personally I've used AFMF which more or less doubled my frames on their beta driver but it caused me several CTDs so I've shelved it for now. I can't comment how it functions on the stable driver.

But ASOBO hasn't added support in the game for FSR3 yet as far as I know?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

This FG mod is a hit and miss, in my case yes it gave me higher frames but at the same time introduced stutters, more so when panning, so I decide to just stick to my setup, it gives me the smoothest experience my rig can provide and I'm quite happy with it. 

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

18 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

But ASOBO hasn't added support in the game for FSR3 yet as far as I know?

Unfortunately not. FSR3 adoption is pretty slow at the moment but it's picking up and some big hitters like Starfield and Cyberpunk are adopting it (soon), so in enough time FSR3 will come to MSFS. However in the mean time, whenever you decide to get your 7900XTX give AFMF a try.

• Like 1

Yes, AFMF works independently of any option set in MSFS settings. It's a driver-level thing.

spacer.png5800X3D, 64GB 3200 RAM, 7900 XT 20GB

I must say I am surprised that frame rates are even an issue any more, at least in MSFS2024. I pay no attention to them and have smooth flying just about everywhere using high or ultra settings, on a modest system by today's standards. Whether I am getting 30 or 60 fps makes no difference to me whatsoever, the flying experience is the same as far as I am concerned. Just my take on it.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra/high graphics settings

36 minutes ago, cobalt said:

I must say I am surprised that frame rates are even an issue any more, at least in MSFS2024. I pay no attention to them and have smooth flying just about everywhere using high or ultra settings, on a modest system by today's standards. Whether I am getting 30 or 60 fps makes no difference to me whatsoever, the flying experience is the same as far as I am concerned. Just my take on it.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra/high graphics settings

The issue I’m having is mainly in very dense areas, such as KPHL, etc.. I’ll get low 20’s and even high teens. at that area. Also, I forgot to mention, but I do the majority of flight in the PMDG 737. Maybe I’m expecting a bit too much.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Concentrate on smooth frame times and then worry about fps.

Install MSI afterburner, which comes with RivaTuner Statistics Server.    Plenty of help on the web to set this tool up.  You can display various graphics outputs on screen, such as a frametime graph, fps and plenty more.  Rivatuner allows you to set the fps in MSFS.

Basic tuning is to set fps, say 60fps and have a look at the frametime graph.  If it isn't smooth, gradually reduce the fps until it is.  The frametime is the time to generate each frame - until that is consistent, you will have a frustrating time getting a smooth display.  Once your frametimes are consistent, you can adjust MSFS settings upwards until you see your frametimes start to vary.

Seriously, frametime is crucial for a smooth display on hardware that cannot maintain a high fps.  I'm happy to help if you PM me.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

The issue I’m having is mainly in very dense areas, such as KPHL, etc.. I’ll get low 20’s and even high teens. at that area. Also, I forgot to mention, but I do the majority of flight in the PMDG 737. Maybe I’m expecting a bit too much.

Cheers, Pete

What hardware do you have?

As everyone said, don't go for the fastest fps, go for smoothness, which might not be your fastest fps.

There's a program called CapFramX which allows you to test your frame time variance (FTV), it's what @MrBitstFlyer and @Noel have mentioned from time to time.  Using that to dial-in the lowest FTV flat-out works if smoothness is the goal.  Start with low settings and work your way up.  You'll find a ceiling for your hardware, where if you go beyond that point, it's not smooth.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 1/24/2024 at 1:49 PM, PilotPete99 said:

I know this has been discussed before, but I have been away from MSFS for the past couple of months due to work, etc. In the MSFS settings, which are the most critical to adjust down, in order to get the best frame rates? I assume traffic is one, but I am not overly familiar with what some of the other settings do.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Pete

Pete:  what CPU and what clock speed if overclocking, what GPU, and what is your display resolution?  All of these things of course come into play, especially when looking at expectations at for example KPHL in the PMDG 73x, and that plane performance really well relatively speaking.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

20 hours ago, iborg1979 said:

Yes, AFMF works independently of any option set in MSFS settings. It's a driver-level thing.

it should be pointed out that the AMD AFMF will work with DX11

Edited by level7
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mace said:

What hardware do you have?

As everyone said, don't go for the fastest fps, go for smoothness, which might not be your fastest fps.

There's a program called CapFramX which allows you to test your frame time variance (FTV), it's what @MrBitstFlyer and @Noel have mentioned from time to time.  Using that to dial-in the lowest FTV flat-out works if smoothness is the goal.  Start with low settings and work your way up.  You'll find a ceiling for your hardware, where if you go beyond that point, it's not smooth.

Thanks for your responses! I will try to summarize:

Core i7 11700F @2.50 Ghz but boosts to I believe 4.00Ghz

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 @12 GBytes

32 GB DDR4 Ram

Cheers, Pete

3 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

Thanks for your responses! I will try to summarize:

Core i7 11700F @2.50 Ghz but boosts to I believe 4.00Ghz

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 @12 GBytes

32 GB DDR4 Ram

Cheers, Pete

Very good, and your screen resolution, or using VR?

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

21 hours ago, Noel said:

Very good, and your screen resolution, or using VR?

Currently, I’m running full screen at 2560 x 1440 in MSFS. I don’t use VR.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

17 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

Currently, I’m running full screen at 2560 x 1440 in MSFS. I don’t use VR.

Cheers, Pete

Hardware-wise, especially including your display, says to me you should have absolutely no issues at KPHL or anywhere else in the PMDG 37x.  Here's my recommendations for you:

• It's worth setting up this approach here.  It's a little lengthy to read thru but actually is simple to set up.  The main piece is in my signature:  RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.  There can be a subtle visual aritifact if your screen doesn't do Gsync, but it's worth a look because setup is very simple and quick.  I used this approach quite a while prior to picking up my Gsync display it's that good for delivering ultra smooth animation at modest frame rates.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/628655-ultimate-smoothness-at-modest-frame-rates/?do=findComment&comment=4899096
    • Definitely follow the setup at the end of the post to allow you to alter frame rate lock in realtime w/ the press of a key.

• Install the DynamicLOD mod as mentioned.  This is the main key to sustaining a base frame rate while on the ground in complex terminals in complex planes, which in your case would easily be 35fps.  You CPU turbos to 4.9Ghz.  Terrain LOD is far and away the most demanding setting for your CPU.  You will be able to have TLOD very low while on ground and the higher you fly above ground TLOD will increase w/ DynamicLOD.  NOTE:  don't be fooled into thinking you can get away with very high TLOD--at the highest levels above ground I'm maxing out at about 170.  Fortunately the difference visually isn't much.  I use all 3 available profiles in DynamicLOD.  For my most demanding airports will start w/ TLOD at 20 while on the ground.
  • Use the TAA antialiasing routine for sharpest visuals and your GPU should handle it no problem.  I also recommend setting NV Control Panel's DSR factors as high as you can get away with, which for me is 4x.
  • Set all other settings in MSFS to Ultra.   
  • FSLTL I highly recommend:  you must keep traffic levels well controlled as this is another big load on your CPU.   

If you need further suggestions/comments reply here.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel