Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

January 31 Dev Q&A stream

Recorded video stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2049204189?t=00h04m35s

My notes so far:

• last month highest number of per-month users ever, and 2nd highest for returning users
  • WU16 and new water masking tools/techniques now in use.. They know about issues in certain areas.. north of the Caribbean not so good in terms of water masking, the southern region was good (i.e. Guadaloupe, Puerto Rico, etc). They're working on attempting to fix the not-so-good areas (doesn't sound like a simple fix to me)
    • follow-up question in live chat: water masks not displaying at all since WU16 in some areas, what's ETA for fix? ... they are aware and looking into it. A bunch of work done on water-mask was removed i.e. too much removed
    • they'll be putting it back, and it's all server-side so hopefully shouldn't take too long (I thought I heard Jorg say a "few more days"?)
      • sounds like this is the more severe issue we're all seeing and not just in the WU16 area.
  • Dune update in about a month
  • Improved AI for world rendering and processing Bing satellite imagery, will be discussed later as part of MSFS 2024 discussions (both server-side AI and in-game) .. also there's work going on in Bing to use AI to remove baked-in shadows/etc
  • R&D ongoing for using AI for other purposes in MSFS (i.e. comms & ATC, etc)
  • They do want to bring FSR3 into MSFS, and have a strong relationship with AMD
  • MSFS 2020 improvements coming in SU15:
    • SU15 beta will start soon (targeting March 12 release)
    • AI aircraft behaviour on ground and air (by Asobo and Working Title)
      • improving in ingesting of data
      • new AI system, "completely redone"
      • improvements of better matching of aircraft, livery, model, etc .. if no liveries installed then another layer of AI will try to look for best match using knowledgebase of airlines in region, etc
      • they are in fact working with Kai and AIG
    • ATC
      • ATC improvements started in SU14
      • SU15 will address ATC voice-over issues, fix-set in hand and being tested (fixes several issues)
    • iniBuilds A320neo (not 100% yet about SU15, but they are really trying, will likely come in a later open beta)
    • Question about performance loss since SU14: some have gained performance, some have lost .. they have a fix related to memory allocation that might address this
    • Memory allocation strategy improvements are a backport from MSFS 2024 
      • manifests as random performance issues
      • beforehand: was using inefficient memory allocation (i.e. double the load will cause 10x the slowdown and then stutters)
      • this was completely re-written in v2024 and will be backported to SU15
      • i.e. turning head around in complex scenery caused inefficient memory use, big enough to cause stutters
      • now at least 100x to 200x times faster in terms of memory allocation/use.. so will definitely help ultimately with fps and stutters
    • Glass cockpit instrument performance (Working Title)
      • avionics systems instruments have gotten more complex, and then that has impacted performance .. so WT is working on perf improvements
      • for example, instrument updates are now distributed along idle frames (for instruments that don't need as many updates), and instruments optimized to only do the work they should be doing
      • now instrument updates don't limit famerate & time any more
      • around 10-20fps increase (i.e. 17+ instruments at same time updating on 747)
    • Snow coverage:
      • SU14 was just the one bug fix around unit conversion, but still many areas where wrong coverage
      • the best data from Meteoblue only gives mountain snow coverage for example, not as detailed.. so they are discussing with them about more detailed data
      • need data to show frozen water bodies.. so absent that, they'll be using a trigger like amount of snow to decide water freezing, but fix it to be higher limit than SU14 (for more accuracy). Also discussing with data provider to get finer data for this
    • Stability:
      • Another series of crash fixes coming in SU15
    • Helicopter enhancements:
      • a lot of improvements and new features
      • helicopters also take advantage of new ground handling system (see below)
      • improvements for gears.. helis can have wheels, can steer, brake, etc
      • improved CFD tools to understand translational lift (realistic translational and hover/forward movements a natural benefit of CFD)
      • multi-rotor support in any configuration/tilt/etc (2 rotors and 16 propellers)
        • cool visual demo of complex CFD airflow for two horizontal rotors shown
        • only thing not yet implemented: dynamically movable rotors (i.e. where lift rotors tilt down to become forward pushing)
    • Ground handling/model improvements (initially discussed last Q&A with videos)
      • 5 new parameters added to take advantage of the new system (partial backport from MSFS 2024)
      • optional for aircraft devs to use ... MS/Asobo will update just the Cessna and another few aircraft
      • actual simulation of tire and flex (as opposed to just a single point as it is now)
      • completely changes how plane handles/controls, allows airframe to vibrate, etc
    • xCloud
      • new functionality to allow controllers other than XBox controller: touch and gyro controls
    • G3X Touch (Working Title)
      • There's 24 now on the WT team!
      • reworked G3X using the avionics framework
      • internal VFR point-to-point and direct-to-flight planning capability
      • can be paired with external IFR navigation tools
      • real-time engine data (fully modelled EIS and engine page, MFD page, etc)
      • all major screen elements modelled
      • PFD can be customized in multiple ways
      • integration of waypoints, weather/other info
      • internal VFR flight planning
      • supported planes on release: VL-3, Xcub, NXcub
      • 3rd party planes welcome to use/adopt
    • Ground texture tiles popping issues: fix coming in SU15 (fix was not quite ready for SU14)
  • More expert series aircraft definitely coming, and collaboration with various devs
  • World Hub
    • 1208 applications as of now
    • 70% of 150 invitations signed up
    • ~40 airports submitted for approval, around half approved already
    • how changes get into sim: will be delivered via AIRAC updates monthly .. first integration targeted for later in February
  • Antonov AN-225
    • all the funds going to Antonov
    • really close to 100,000 units sold
    • they will give details of exact funds going to Antonov soon
  • MSFS 2024 is later this year than earlier
  • Question about too much reddish colors in sunset/sunrise after SU14: they're looking into this
  • Stockholm coming in future city update
  • Brazil world update:
    • lack of photogrammetry data .. MS/Asobo did hire someone to go to Brazil (still working thru with partner company getting cameras installed and getting planes in the air to capture the data)
    • plan is still in place to release, can't guarantee when
  • VR fixes/changes:
    • they are trying to test and use more PC configurations and headsets
    • SU15 performance improvements will help
    • MS changes to mixed reality won't be an impact
  • Existing WUs will definitely be available for MSFS 2024, still to be decided if they'll be made separately installable as is now, or folded into the core sim
  • completely new flight model and FDE for ornithopter (and if I understood correctly, also benefits helicopters FDE)
  • ATR:
    • limitations by aircraft manufacturers as to what is allowed as failures, so that's why not as much failures simulation
    • the lead of training at ATR itself has asked for the MSFS ATR to be used there
    • more fix sets coming

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 64

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

7 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

https://www.twitch.tv/msfsofficial/

Starting in around 10 mins.. hopefully they address the water masks issue from WU16 on this one. And also hoping for more details on MSFS 2024 🤞

Unfortunately I don't think they will talk much about MSFS 2024(maybe a new screenshot, who knows), in the form to submit questions there was a disclaimer saying they aren't ready to talk about it.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Just now, ca_metal said:

Unfortunately I don't think they will talk much about MSFS 2024(maybe a new screenshot, who knows), in the form to submit questions there was a disclaimer saying they aren't ready to talk about it.

Ah ok, and ya maybe still too early and they're waiting closer to release to give more info.. had some hope given on the dev update they were saying to tune in to the next stream to "discuss the future of MSFS", but that's just a generic line for every Q&A maybe.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

and fsr3!

• Like 2

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

it is live now

Water mask issue acknowledged

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Water masking right out the gate. Still trying to figure out how to do it right everywhere (something about issues w/ high vs low altitude imaging?? Not sure), but they are aware and even have a map showing where it mostly worked and where it didn't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dermot McClusky said:

Water masking right out the gate. Still trying to figure out how to do it right everywhere (something about issues w/ high vs low altitude imaging?? Not sure), but they are aware and even have a map showing where it mostly worked and where it didn't. 

This suggests that there is not likely to be a quick fix.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

33 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

(I thought I heard Jorg say a "few more days"?)

I think that's what I heard too

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Excellent News !

I do not plan to DL the Caribbean, and actually only use the Portugal & Spain WU, but the vide            os and shots look just great !

Since MFS downloads are HUGE I look fwd to know if they will make the update to 2020 users who buy 2024 as simple as possible, probably using part of the 2020 install in parallel or as an option for those who don't want/need to maintain both versions.

FSR3 news great too -my next GPU will probably be AMD ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

@lwt1971 Were you a journalist in another life? You're absolutely killing it with the live summaries!

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Krakin said:

@lwt1971 Were you a journalist in another life? You're absolutely killing it with the live summaries!

Lol thanks!.. no was not, but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to notes/organizing/etc 🙂

• Like 15

Len

15 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Lol thanks!.. no was not, but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to notes/organizing/etc 🙂

I much appreciate your summary!!

• Like 5

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU