Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

WMR headsets no longer work with Windows 11 v.24H2

Public service message awaiting clarification or further information:

Windows Mixed Reality headsets no longer work with Windows 11 version 24H2 and newer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I just wish there was a truly next-gen headset that would make me jump to replace WMR. None of the alternatives make me want to switch from my G2.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Public service message awaiting clarification or further information:

Windows Mixed Reality headsets no longer work with Windows 11 version 24H2 and newer

This is going to happen this fall, as quoted from https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2024/02/08/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-26052-canary-and-dev-channels/

Changes and Improvements

[General]

• Starting with Build 26-xx today, Windows Insiders in the Canary and Dev Channels will see the versioning updated under Settings > System > About (and winver) to version 24H2. This denotes that Windows 11, version 24H2 will be this year’s annual feature update. As mentioned here, Windows 11 will have an annual feature update cadence that releases in the second half of the calendar year.
  • Plugging in to use a Windows Mixed Reality headset will not work starting with this build. Windows Mixed Reality is no longer available to users as Windows Mixed Reality has been announced as deprecated. This includes the Mixed Reality Portal app, and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and Steam VR Beta. Existing Windows Mixed Reality devices will continue to work with Steam through November 2026, if users remain on their current released version of Windows 11 (version 23H2) and do not upgrade to this year’s annual feature update for Windows 11 (version 24H2). This deprecation does not impact HoloLens.

So fellow G2 users take heed.  If you are a Win11 user MS will effectively nix G2 functionality with this build, which will be released this fall.  Apparently one can delay this update, but diligence will be necessary to do so.  Though I knew this was coming, my response to its swiftness is a bolded, all caps and large font F word followed by multiple exclamation points.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Oh dang! What to replace my G2 with now???

More money into the endless money pit!!

• Upvote 1

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

What are the chances a new VR headset will released that is comparable to HP (and with hopefully better lenses) this fall that won't cost over 1000.00?

Mario Di Lauro

If this is true this is terrible news to me as I'm very happy with G2 and haven't found any other headsets worth upgrading at the moment.

Will it be possible that someone can kindly write a driver enabling G2 to continue to work in MSFS? I'll be happy to pay for it. 

Edited by FlyIce
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

22 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

Will it be possible that someone can kindly write a driver enabling G2 to continue to work in MSFS?

I am 100% sure this will happen, considering the numbers of all WMR headsets combined, not just the G2. someone like M.Bucchia, the XR toolkit developer etc. should be a piece of cake for him.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Pimax et al. they all need their products to continue to work even without Microsoft.

I'd still like to understand Microsoft's reasoning behind this move, to harm Apple and Zuckerberg now that he has pumped billions of $$ into his VR division? I can't see any other reasonable strategy.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

I am 100% sure this will happen, considering the numbers of all WMR headsets combined, not just the G2. someone like M.Bucchia, the XR toolkit developer etc. should be a piece of cake for him.

I sure hope so! M. Bucchia is such a nice and talented guy and I'm ready to pay for his work. I don't know anything about WMR, but I hope WMR headsets are not hardwired for native windows WMR so people like Buchhia can crack it with relative ease.   

• Like 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

lets not forget there is also steamvr, Sony playstation VR etc. its not a Microsoft patented exclusive technology.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

2 hours ago, FlyIce said:

enabling G2 to continue to work in MSFS?

Jorg Neumann has already confirmed MSFS 2024 will support  VR, so don't you worry. I will make an image backup of my windows 10 and 11 partitions so I can alway revert if I need to.

very nice.

3 hours ago, turbomax said:

umm, no.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/microsoft-is-discontinuing-windows-mixed-reality-wmr/622334/185

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/microsoft-is-discontinuing-windows-mixed-reality-wmr/622334/191

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

40 minutes ago, kdfw__ said:

M. Bucchia speaks with absolute authority on this subject. MS has closed the door and we all need to get over it.  Fortunately we got a year or so to do to so. A couple of friends of mine just got G2s only a few months ago, a huge bummer to say the least.  

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

«@&kr(&:@&2884kr&&@(@&kr;&@:&@«!,!.’nxbbbgn

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turbomax said:

Pimax et al. they all need their products to continue to work even without Microsoft.

I'd still like to understand Microsoft's reasoning behind this move, to harm Apple and Zuckerberg now that he has pumped billions of $$ into his VR division? I can't see any other reasonable strategy.

WMR deprecation will only affect WMR-based headsets. HP Reverb G2 seems to be one of the last of this kind. Pimax, Quest, Bigscreen, Varjo and others don't use WMR and won't be affected.

Windows 11 24H2 will be probably only released in September/October 2024. Even then you can disable application of this Windows feature update. This will allow you to continue using G2 (discontinued by HP, originally released in November 2020, soon will be 4 years old) as long as you would not need new fancy Windows 11 features.

Edited by Steku
  • Like 1

As FS2020 runs pretty well today using Linux, with my RTX 4080
considering updating Linux is easy

Maybe time to keep my Linux and uninstall my Windows ?
Sadly no, because I also use some other software programs that only run under Windows