Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Wrong forum but good info for all to know (VR)

8 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

What's a better alternative  in Quest 3's price range?

Something not released yet.  We have two years before it will be really hard to use the Reverb G2 (for those that already have it).  Let's hope something presents itself in that time frame (which always does with technology).  Currently overpriced headsets most likely will be cheaper by then so I have hope. 

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

8 hours ago, FBW737 said:

The silver lining to this is you won't be able to give WMR headsets away so if you are willing to forgo windows updates for the next 2 or 3 years your could have top shelf headset for next to nothing. I might consider it. Windows is word not allowede anyway.

You can do security updates to keep your OS protected, just stay away from version updates. When you turn the feature off like described above you manually pick on patch Tuesday of every month what you want to install versus the OS automatically doing it.

• Like 3

FS2020 

15 hours ago, charliearon said:

it belongs in the MSFS 2020 VR forum.

it deserves a sticky on the main 2D forum. we are not talking some individual's VR installation or experience and opinions here, but a severe Windows 11 topic, that happens to affect future users since they can not revert back to WMR after updating to 24H2. many might not know what lies ahead until it's too late.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

7 hours ago, turbomax said:

a permanent link to this post would still be very useful in the 2D forum for users who don't yet have a WMR headset but plan to get one in the future

Good point.

IMO, maybe Avsim should require its moderators to have experience or at least some familiarity with VR so that they can better judge if a topic deserves closure or transfer to another forum.

• Like 1

I recommend downloading a Windows11 23H2 ISO image in the next months while they are still available and before 24H2 via the Windows media creation tool from Microsoft. that way you can always still re-install a fresh WMR-compatible windows version should the need arise.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11/

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

MSFS 2024 will have VR support, so Microsoft will have something that makes VR work for sure. I’m sure they do not want to abandon the current VR users, and for all we know, they may well come up with something better than openXR that will work with all headsets. I’m certainly not going to lose sleep over this 😂

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

Microsoft must have something up their sleeves with WMR.🧐 Just read Hololens is not going away so maybe something better is being developed to take WMR's place.  Abandoning it doesn't make since out right.  This will be interesting for those of us holding on to our Reverb's until a reasonable alternative presents itself (not a fan of the Quest 3 after I've had the 2 version).

FS2020 

3 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Microsoft must have something up their sleeves with WMR.

at least Joerg Neumann seemed totally relaxed when he reacted to Microsoft dropping WMR support when he said slightly frustrated re. MSFS 2024: "nope. it won't affect us". will be interesting to see how he will tackle this without WMR.

very nice.

40 minutes ago, turbomax said:

will be interesting to see how he will tackle this without WMR.

One less branch of VR for him to worry about being compatible with....

Everyone seems to be heading towards OpenXR

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 hours ago, turbomax said:

at least Joerg Neumann seemed totally relaxed when he reacted to Microsoft dropping WMR support when he said slightly frustrated re. MSFS 2024: "nope. it won't affect us". will be interesting to see how he will tackle this without WMR.

It's funny, when he said that he reached down and grabbed his HP Reverb G2.😏 

• Like 1

FS2020 

"HoloLens 2 and Windows Mixed Reality will continue to support apps that target our previous WinRT APIs as well, "

🤣

Alex Turner, Microsoft. October 2020

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality-blog/moving-forward-to-openxr/ba-p/1825672

• Like 1

very nice.