Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Wrong forum but good info for all to know (VR)

DO NOT Update Windows 11 IF you have a REVERB G2! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! How to Guide | MSFS, DCS (youtube.com)

What's concerning is Apple and the Steam solutions are all over VR and once again Microsoft will have to circle back around playing catchup on a solution they already had in house.  This is why XPlane is so important as MS could do this at any time with MSFS no matter how successful and innovative it is.  When dumb people are in charge stupid things happen.😔

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who's used the new Apple Vision Pro headset with MSFS.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

10 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who's used the new Apple Vision Pro headset with MSFS.

It doesn't work with Windows applications from what I hear.

• Like 1

FS2020 

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

Not very well.  PCVR gaming with Apple Vision Pro will be limited.

Edited by Tierborn
  • Like 1

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Nice subject title. Let's see if this message thread is also closed. (I hope not since I find it useful). There was one similarly related post regarding VR last year that was almost immediately closed by a moderator after one reply. It made me think that maybe the moderators of this forum discourages use of VR in MSFS, and I'm wondering if there are alternatives to VR. If you have both TrackIR and VR, is TrackIR comparable to VR?. Thanks.

Not necessary to close but it belongs in the MSFS 2020 VR forum.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, Matt Sdeel said:

If you have both TrackIR and VR, is TrackIR comparable to VR?. Thanks

I've used TrackIR on a large screen 55 to 60" with the IR camera mounted behind my head and I use to use a Samsung Odyssey+ WMR VR headset too. Initially I found VR very compelling and it is. But my brain figured out it was fake and bizarrely even the 3D kinda went flat! I've been back to TrackIR with large screen for a long time and although I'd give VR another go at the right time, I'm more than happy with TrackIR for now.

Edited by FBW737

2 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Nice subject title. Let's see if this message thread is also closed. (I hope not since I find it useful). There was one similarly related post regarding VR last year that was almost immediately closed by a moderator after one reply. It made me think that maybe the moderators of this forum discourages use of VR in MSFS, and I'm wondering if there are alternatives to VR. If you have both TrackIR and VR, is TrackIR comparable to VR?. Thanks.

There's no comparison between the two.  If you have good visuals and performance in VR it's hard to go back to 2D.  VR is the future but the price of admission and configuring to get the best results leave many out the game hence Microsoft's pull back from it.  But just like VC's replaced 2D panels in FS, CRT monitors replaced by flat screens, VR will be the standard in the not-so-distant future.  Microsoft will be behind the ball and will have to come full circle on something they should have further developed in the first place (But what's new on that front with this company. Actually, I thought we were done with that short-sighted culture when Steve Ballmer left). So in essence VR is better than TrackIR it's just the adoption rate is slow.  We need headsets to come down to around $350 with good performance then it will take off.  Whoever is first to figure out charging $1500 for head mounted devices is not a smart business strategy will come out ahead.  They'll move more product with something that gets decent visuals/performance and a price that's easy on the average simmer and the Quest 3 is not it (a headset hardwired to the video card with it's own power plug not battery get's the best results for sims).🧐

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

40 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Quest 3 is not it

What's a better alternative  in Quest 3's price range?

45 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I thought we were done with that short-sighted culture when Steve Ballmer left

Yup, Ballmer left after Steve Job's devastating comment on Ballmer in his last-words letter he wrote before he died as documented in Isaacson's biography on Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs:
"I have my own theory about why decline happens at companies like IBM or Microsoft. The company does a great job, innovates and becomes a monopoly or close to it in some field, and then the quality of the product becomes less important. The company starts valuing the great salesmen, because they’re the ones who can move the needle on revenues, not the product engineers and designers. So the salespeople end up running the company. John Akers at IBM was a smart, eloquent, fantastic salesperson, but he didn’t know anything about product. The same thing happened at Xerox. When the sales guys run the company, the product guys don’t matter so much, and a lot of them just turn off. It happened at Apple when Sculley came in, which was my fault, and it happened when Ballmer took over at Microsoft. Apple was lucky and it rebounded, but I don’t think anything will change at Microsoft as long as Ballmer is running it."

• Like 1

The silver lining to this is you won't be able to give WMR headsets away so if you are willing to forgo windows updates for the next 2 or 3 years your could have top shelf headset for next to nothing. I might consider it. Windows is word not allowede anyway.

2 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

There is none. Quest 3 is the entry point now for VR and a very good option if set up correctly with strong hardware feeding in IMHO. Pico 4 is probably the bargain basement option but Pico's future is uncertain. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

8 hours ago, charliearon said:

but it belongs in the MSFS 2020 VR forum

and to keep a permanent link to this post would still be very useful in the 2D forum for users who don't yet have a WMR headset but plan to get one in the future. that will be an unpleasant awakening if they unsuspectingly upgraded to the new windows version without a backup only to find out their new HP G2 doesn't work anymore.

• Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

7 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

If you are looking to spend money in the price range of the Quest 3, get the Quest 3.  I really enjoy MSFS in VR with quest 3.

Edited by Tierborn