Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

Pressure is on Asobo Studio

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Disable DLSS and enable TAA problem solved

DLSS3 is frame generation. You can have DLSS running in conjunction with TAA, what gives you blurry displays is DLAA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

Sorry if this is a noob question...

What's FSR and why is it so good? 🤔

FSR is an algorithmic based form of frame generation that practically allows all* cards to run frame generation on their machine. 

This is different to DLSS3 which requires the tensor cores on RTX 4000 series GPU to run AI-based frame generation. 

It’s good because it can potentially provide increased longevity into older cards and allow them to run frame generation without having to buy into Nvidia’s RTX 4000 series GPUs.

The caveat is that (this goes for DLSS3 as well). FG really prefers 60fps and above and fps below this (while can still double frames) can result in sometimes pretty poor frame time averages the further you are away from that 60fps sweet spot.

* Not literally every GPU but most modern GPUs, think GTX 1000s and AMD 5000 series cards

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

FSR is an algorithmic based form of frame generation that practically allows all* cards to run frame generation on their machine. 

This is different to DLSS3 which requires the tensor cores on RTX 4000 series GPU to run AI-based frame generation. 

It’s good because it can potentially provide increased longevity into older cards and allow them to run frame generation without having to buy into Nvidia’s RTX 4000 series GPUs.

The caveat is that (this goes for DLSS3 as well). FG really prefers 60fps and above and fps below this (while can still double frames) can result in sometimes pretty poor frame time averages the further you are away from that 60fps sweet spot.

* Not literally every GPU but most modern GPUs, think GTX 1000s and AMD 5000 series cards

Thank you! This is really good info

• Like 3

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

12 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

DLSS3 is frame generation. You can have DLSS running in conjunction with TAA, what gives you blurry displays is DLAA. 

Is it? DLSS makes displays blurry for me.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

17 minutes ago, threexgreen said:

Is it? DLSS makes displays blurry for me.

Read his answer again. DLSS upscaling can make the display a bit blurry. DLSS3 Frame generation does not. You can use it with TAA and without any upscaling, hence without blurryness.

Edited by crimplene
  • Like 1

I'm probably in the minority since i'm on a team red GPU but frankly the only thing pressing to be fixed for me(Graphics wise) is the texture bleedthrough for DX12 since that's my preferred rendering mode and the missing water masks as Dillon mentioned. Apart from that i'm very happy with AMD's driver level framegen that can run in either DX11 or 12. With the base/real frames locked at 40fps and the framegen bringing it up to 80 the combined fps sits right into my monitors freesync range. Coupled with the improved memory management in the present beta which improves the framepacing in resource heavy situations i personally have nothing to complain about.

Was never interested in the up-scaling aspects of DLSS/FSR in the first place. Enable any of those things and its blurry numbers.  TAA + Framegen/Fluid Motion frames + Gsync/Freesync for me 100%. Use RTSS to lock the framerate to free up some resource cycles for the really heavy airports so you dont fall out of the gsync/freesync range and you really wont want for more. Option 2 is to try the TLOD tool if youre really hurting (which im not so ill skip that for now)."

I was wishing and hoping that Asobo would implement FSR 3 to i could take advantage of the framegen aspect of it .. but apart from them adding motion vector enhancements im not missing anything that i want from FSR3. When it arrives ill use it as long as i can still use TAA. But, its no longer that "must have" bang on the doors issue for me anymore. The driver level framegen is good enough so far.

Edited by Maxis
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

FWIW, Asobo did talk a bit about about FSR3 in response to a community question from the last Q&A livestream: https://youtu.be/D6yCff8SgXk?t=670

"Yes obviously we have a strong relationship with AMD, can't commit to a date today, but it's something we want to bring into our engine"

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

13 hours ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

Yeah, who cares about the peasants without $2000 GPUs. Let them eat cake...err FSR3! 

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you from the lofty perch.

• Like 1

Eric 

44 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

FWIW, Asobo did talk a bit about about FSR3 in response to a community question from the last Q&A livestream: https://youtu.be/D6yCff8SgXk?t=670

"Yes obviously we have a strong relationship with AMD, can't commit to a date today, but it's something we want to bring into our engine"

Guess the other studios have a stronger relation with AMD... 😄

Edited by Bond

28 minutes ago, Bond said:

Guess the other studios have a stronger relation with AMD... 😄

Strength of relationship with AMD is separate and unrelated to where supporting FSR sits in Asobo's list of priorities 😄

Edited by lwt1971
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Strength of relationship with AMD is separate and unrelated to where supporting FSR sits in Asobo's list of priorities 😄

Then all that sentence is completely irrelevant....

23 minutes ago, Bond said:

Then all that sentence is completely irrelevant....

Ya not sure how it is.. the community question was asking about FSR and if users can be assured it'll make it into MSFS. Asobo answered that they had a strong relationship with AMD (thereby indicating they can definitely do it), and are working on it, but didn't want to give a timeline.

Having the connections with AMD gives them the ability to do it, but that's different from timeline and where they prioritize this versus all else they've done so far and will do. Just because they gave it less priority and haven't released support for it *yet* says nothing about their relationship with AMD, or its strength, etc 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Len

MS/Asobo also had a good relationship with Nvidia when trying to cure the blurry screens with DLSS....in 2022, as is usual they talk a lot in the Q&A but then rarely follow up with communication thereafter, see exhibit #75 Water Masks for an example 😉

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

8 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

the community question was asking about FSR and if users can be assured it'll make it into MSFS.
Asobo answered that they had a strong relationship with AMD (thereby indicating they can definitely do it),
and are working on it, but didn't want to give a timeline.

It indicates that they did not answer the question.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

... it sounds as a great big sim improvement news ..... of msfs 2024 .... 

• Like 1

Intel I9-13900K @ 5,5 GHz, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Master, 32 Gb Kingston Fury DDR5 @ 6000 MHz, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB 7,000/5,000MB/s, RX 6750 XT 12Gb, Samsung G5 LC32G55TQBUXEN WQHD, Windows 11.