Sign in to follow this  
CanadaOne

Deleting world updates for space

Hello,

My MSFS dedicated SSD is getting a bit full and I can't replace it right away. My question: if I delete any regional world updates, am I also deleting updates/improvements to the core sim that might have come with those updates or am I just losing terrain detail in those areas? 

Thank you. 😎

Twotone Murphy did a very nice video showing how you can speed up load times and reduce the stuff you never use that gets installed with MSFS updates.

Check it out here

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thank you. 

Thanks for the heads up. But just to be sure, if I delete the Bush trip is there any scenery that will be deleted also because is part of the content, or just flight plans and instructions?

I already saw the video but just want to be sure

11 hours ago, Henrique Santos said:

Thanks for the heads up. But just to be sure, if I delete the Bush trip is there any scenery that will be deleted also because is part of the content, or just flight plans and instructions?

I already saw the video but just want to be sure

I don't know, but if deleting the Bush Trip only deleted the flight plan and instructions then those files would be tiny so would there be much point deleting them?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

I don't know, but if deleting the Bush Trip only deleted the flight plan and instructions then those files would be tiny so would there be much point deleting them?

Its something like that that I thougt it would be

Be aware that some freeware (and payware?) software make use of some WU's library objects if I'm not mistaken?

Initially, World Updates include also MSFS system's core improvement. For months now, Microsoft claims to isolate World Updates and Sim Updates. In any case, if you go thru your MSFS Content Manager and delete World Updates (POI for example), it will remove from your PC only the WU content and not core systems updates which are incorporated into other packages. 

So, to free up some drive space you can delete freely them and made a mistake and re-install if needed 🙂

By the way, as @bvdboomen mentioned some developpers (including amateur dev like me) extensively can use the library object, sometimes from even specific handcrafted aurpoet that comes with World Updates. I personally do my best to list what is required.

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

@CanadaOne I also followed the video and started to delete stuff and after a couple of weeks I put it all up again. There are some dependencies that are not clear at first, e.g. deleting some POI or Aircraft would render some main menu pictures useles (grey fields instead of pictures). Also some flights requiere a specific aircraft and you will get errors...yada yada yada. My sim did not load faster....but I get your problem and just wanted to tell you that you will probably cripple MSFS.

• Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

23 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Hello,

My MSFS dedicated SSD is getting a bit full and I can't replace it right away. My question: if I delete any regional world updates, am I also deleting updates/improvements to the core sim that might have come with those updates or am I just losing terrain detail in those areas? 

Thank you. 😎

I've just done this process and have saved hundreds of gig in space...also deleted aircraft i dont use along with airports, bush flights, points of interest, landing challenges etc......is absolutely no point in loading an airport etc in say China or Europe when i never fly there... as a result i have plenty of space and load times are much faster...

• Like 2

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I found 50GB to delete pretty quick. haven't done it yet, just cataloguing stuff first

If .I delete a "flight" from the content list, does that just delete the flight plan or some scenery as well?

1 hour ago, vonduck said:

I've just done this process and have saved hundreds of gig in space...also deleted aircraft i dont use along with airports, bush flights, points of interest, landing challenges etc......is absolutely no point in loading an airport etc in say China or Europe when i never fly there... as a result i have plenty of space and load times are much faster...

Same, I recently stripped the sim down to a bare minimum. It's easy using search in content manager: city, bush, training, discovery, aircraft - I deleted all of those and like you freed up hundreds of gig. I only kept a few default aircraft, e.g. Caravan, Bonanza, King Air which is required for the Black Square addons. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I just bought a 1TB  Drive NVME drive and moved MSFS to it. Got all my sceneries, and still have about 600 GB of room left. Cost was around $75. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I just bought a 1TB  Drive NVME drive and moved MSFS to it. Got all my sceneries, and still have about 600 GB of room left. Cost was around $75. 

I can only use one NVME on my MB and it's a 1TB just for DCS, that's my main sim. I have a 500GB SSD for MSFS, and it was starting to get a bit full. And SSDs seem to have gone up in price a bit lately.

Just knocked out 40GB of MSFS, nice to have a bit more free space.