RESET XPDR, Just an amazing concept - and working brilliantly for me - thank you so much!

A thought about flying near high terrain, (and apologies of it’s been mentioned before) - I see that the TLOD values are based on height above terrain, which of course makes great sense for approaches.

What if one wanted to fly at high baro altitude, but close to the tops of mountains - I’m assuming that auto fps will reduce the TLOD based on height agl, thus reducing the visual effect, when there is no particular fps load?

Could something be introduced to prevent the LOD reducing in this circumstance?

16 minutes ago, Britjet said:

RESET XPDR, Just an amazing concept - and working brilliantly for me - thank you so much!

A thought about flying near high terrain, (and apologies of it’s been mentioned before) - I see that the TLOD values are based on height above terrain, which of course makes great sense for approaches.

What if one wanted to fly at high baro altitude, but close to the tops of mountains - I’m assuming that auto fps will reduce the TLOD based on height agl, thus reducing the visual effect, when there is no particular fps load?

Use Dynamic_Lod (the other one) and set your AGL parameters

• Upvote 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Posted (edited)

[redacted]

Edited by Buggsy
belay my last!

Fly Navy

30 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Use Dynamic_Lod (the other one) and set your AGL parameters

Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure if I understand though - there is Terrain TLOD and object OLOD - I’m not sure I understand “Dynamic LOD’?

2 minutes ago, Britjet said:

Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure if I understand though - there is Terrain TLOD and object OLOD - I’m not sure I understand “Dynamic LOD’?

Its an external application that changes tlod and olod to trade off graphics for performance and vice versa

51 minutes ago, Britjet said:

google it

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Britjet said:

They are two (slightly) different apps from the same developer, both available from hits Discord-page.

I'm trying to understand the app logic. Readme didn't do it for me 🙂 So, suppose I'm in VR with SSW (VD motion reprojection) with Quest 3 running at 80Hz. So the FPS is capped at 40. I set 38 in Auto FPS, which is 5% lower. So, let's say the performance dips momentarily below 38 (which is already bad as it's braking MR), and Auto FPS drops TLOD to my min of 30 from normal setting of 100. FPS recovers to 40, but it's going to stay there as it is a hard cap. So how AutoFPS will know when to bump up the TLOD back? There's no overhead to "shave off" by gradually reducing TLOD. And as soon as it dips - it breaks MR. So will it just constantly try to lower and raise TLOD all the time? I don't think this is what happened when I tried it yesterday. Can it actually stay ahead of it and keep TLOD lower until it's not limiting anymore. But then how does it know when to bump it up again, without doing it too often to cause stutters?

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

Thanks for the various replies.

I understand perfectly that both LODs are “dynamic” because they are changed by this App. I’ve posted on this AUTO FPS discussion exactly because I’m aware of the App(s).

My point was that, if using this App, you fly over a mountain at less than your chosen LOD degradation height (which you presumably chose to give you a smooth landing at a much lower airfield), the TLOD nonetheless would be reduced, giving a degraded view of the terrain, which might not be desired?

14 minutes ago, Britjet said:

Thanks for the various replies.

I understand perfectly that both LODs are “dynamic” because they are changed by this App. I’ve posted on this AUTO FPS discussion exactly because I’m aware of the App(s).

My point was that, if using this App, you fly over a mountain at less than your chosen LOD degradation height (which you presumably chose to give you a smooth landing at a much lower airfield), the TLOD nonetheless would be reduced, giving a degraded view of the terrain, which might not be desired?

You would have to be within a thousand feet of  the mountain. I don't fly that close to a mountain if I can help it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Britjet said:

In both non-expert and expert mode, the app defaults to using a TLOD Min on the ground and landing, which is what you are experiencing. Try unchecking TLOD Min on ground/landing under expert settings and the app will continually adjust TLOD to maintain target FPS, with AGL only affecting how fast it will make those changes.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Roman Design said:

I'm trying to understand the app logic. Readme didn't do it for me 🙂 So, suppose I'm in VR with SSW (VD motion reprojection) with Quest 3 running at 80Hz. So the FPS is capped at 40. I set 38 in Auto FPS, which is 5% lower. So, let's say the performance dips momentarily below 38 (which is already bad as it's braking MR), and Auto FPS drops TLOD to my min of 30 from normal setting of 100. FPS recovers to 40, but it's going to stay there as it is a hard cap. So how AutoFPS will know when to bump up the TLOD back? There's no overhead to "shave off" by gradually reducing TLOD. And as soon as it dips - it breaks MR. So will it just constantly try to lower and raise TLOD all the time? I don't think this is what happened when I tried it yesterday. Can it actually stay ahead of it and keep TLOD lower until it's not limiting anymore. But then how does it know when to bump it up again, without doing it too often to cause stutters?

The readme section on this says:

• If you use an FPS cap, or Vsync for the same purpose, you will need to set your target FPS to be around 10% lower than that cap. This allows the automated TLOD increase logic to function properly because it needs FPS to get above the target FPS plus the FPS tolerance to activate an increase in TLOD. If doing so causes unacceptable tearing of the image on your monitor, or breaks motion reprojection if you use it with VR, then this app isn't suitable for you.

I'm sorry to say that neither have you set your target FPS to the recommended 10% lower, nor acknowledged that you are warned that MR can break by doing so, so I am not understanding why the readme didn't "do it for me" as you put it. If you think I can be clearer, please propose alternative, succinct wording that does so.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

I'm sorry to say that neither have you set your target FPS to the recommended 10% lower, nor acknowledged that you are warned that MR can break by doing so, so I am not understanding why the readme didn't "do it for me" as you put it. If you think I can be clearer, please propose alternative, succinct wording that does so.

I'm not criticizing the readme, or you, please don't take it personally. You are doing an amazing job and helping the community a great deal. I'm just trying to figure out if this program can help me and what the correct settings would be for my setup. Yes, I'm acknowledging that "warned that MR can break", it's not like you promised it must work 🙂But it doesn't say that it can't work with MR, so I'm trying to make it work if that is possible.

The problem is two-fold: 1. It's a fact that letting FPS go lower than half of the refrash rate brakes MR. The goal is to try and manage the LOD/clouds so it doesn't happen, or catch it the moment it does. Some people seem to be more sensitive to judder than others and while many are fine without MR, many others (like me) can't live without it as it's just not smooth. 5% is something that was mentioned here. I'm aiming for minimal workable reduction. It looks to me that setting a target FPS of 10% less, i.e. 36 wouldn't work, because my system in KJFK in PMDG737 (oribably worst case scenario) is doing 37FPS, so it would be "fine" according to the  Auto FPS software, while it's a horrible experience in VR. If it would just keep it at 36 it's not a solution. Ideally I'd set 40FPS, but the readme says that it needs some overhead, and it makes sense. But I want as small an overhead as possible, as even 39FPS is not desireable and should be avoided as soon as it occures.

2. How would it know what level to keep the LOD at, because it won't ever go above 40FPS with MR?

MSFS is so fidgety and unreliable that it's very difficult to do a clean test - if MR brakes with Auto FPS it would certainly brake without it. That's why I'm asking questions on what settings would make sense with MR. Is it not supposed to work with MR at all and I shouldn't even try?

Edited by Roman Design

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]

2 hours ago, Roman Design said:

Is it not supposed to work with MR at all and I shouldn't even try?

Theoretically it shouldn't work with MR because of the MR FPS goal and app target FPS disparity anyway, so yes this is the conclusion you should be coming to.

1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

Theoretically it shouldn't work with MR because of the MR FPS goal and app target FPS disparity anyway, so yes this is the conclusion you should be coming to.

Ah, OK, thanks for the clear answer. The next question is, should the sister app work with MR? It would involve more quesswork, but should still help with FPS, right? If the LOD is at the minimum on the ground and gradually goes up, and cloud level changes if FPS dip below MR level, it sounds plausible, right? Or I shouldn't switch on anything related to FPS there are all, just the altitude-dependent changes?