Further to discussion of the concept demonstration version of the MSFS2020_AutoFPS starting here, the app has now matured to a point to where I am happy to formally release it.

You can download the latest version of MSFS2020_AutoFPS here.

In summary, this free utility is a new development that is a simplification of, and a slightly different concept to, DynamicLOD_ResetEdition. It aims to improve MSFS performance and smoothness by automatically changing the two settings that impact MSFS performance the most, namely TLOD and cloud quality settings, based on the current AGL and with an easy to use GUI. It provides features such as:

• Automatically adjusts TLOD to achieve a user-defined target FPS band based on pre or user-defined maximum and minimum TLODs,
  • TLOD minimum on ground/landing option, which prioritises TLOD over FPS during these flight phases and also averts exacerbating existing texture tearing issues with DX12,
  • Cloud quality decrease option for when FPS can't be achieved at the lowest desired TLOD,
  • Automatic pause when MSFS loses focus option, particularly useful if using FG due to varying FPS when MSFS gains or loses focus,
  • Automatic FPS settling timer on MSFS graphics mode and focus changes to allow FPS to stabilise before being acted upon,
  • Simultaneous PC, FG and VR mode compatibilty including correct FG FPS display and separate FPS targets for each mode,
  • A greatly simplified GUI option that uses pre-defined settings for an automated experience suited to most user scenarios, and
  • Auto restoration of original settings changed by the utility.

Important:

• This utility directly accesses active MSFS memory locations while MSFS is running to read and set TLOD and cloud quality settings on the fly at a maximum rate of one read and, if required, change per setting per second. The utility will first verify that the MSFS memory locations being used are still valid and if not, likely because of an MSFS version change, will attempt to find where they have been relocated. If it does find the new memory locations and they pass validation tests, the utility will update itself automatically and will function as normal. If it can't find or validate MSFS memory locations at any time when starting up, the utility will self-restrict to read only mode to prevent the utility making changes to unknown MSFS memory locations.
  • As such, I believe the app to be robust in its interaction with validated MSFS memory locations and to be responsible in disabling itself if it can't guarantee that. Nonetheless, this utility is offered as is and no responsibility will be taken for unintended negative side effects. Use at your own risk!

More information, including instructions on how to install, update, uninstall and configure the various options in the app, can be found in the readme file located here.

I hope that the app proves useful in getting the most out of your MSFS 2020 experience. I welcome any feedback you have on this app and will do my best to fix any bugs or issues that are identified..

image.png?ex=65ea9225&is=65d81d25&hm=611

image.png?ex=65ea9230&is=65d81d30&hm=c7b

• Like 43
  • Upvote 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Hi, this it just to let you know that I am unable to download the file as Defender is flagging it as a potential virus.

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

13 minutes ago, Harrier77 said:

Hi, this it just to let you know that I am unable to download the file as Defender is flagging it as a potential virus.

It's broadly covered in the readme, but I will update it to specifically mention Defender exceptions as well.

• This utility is unsigned because I am a hobbyist and the cost of obtaining certification is prohibitive to me. As a result, you may get a warning message of a potentially dangerous app when you download it in a web browser like Chrome. You can either trust this download, based on feedback you can easily find on Avsim and Youtube, and run a virus scan and malware scan before you install just be sure, otherwise choose not to and not have this utility version.
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

The readme has been updated to the following:

• This utility is unsigned because I am a hobbyist and the cost of obtaining certification is prohibitive to me. As a result, you may get a warning message of a potentially dangerous app when you download it in a web browser like Chrome or from your antivirus program, including Windows Defender. You can either trust this download, based on feedback you can easily find on Avsim and Youtube, make an exception in your browser and/or antivirus program for the download then run a virus scan and malware scan before you install just be sure, otherwise choose not to and not have this utility version.

• Like 6

Hi, thanks. I was aware of that and I have been downloading your fantastic utility for some time, it's just that this time Chrome, and others, will not allow me to download the file after flagging it? I will see if I can download with defender temporarily switched off.

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

2 minutes ago, Harrier77 said:

Hi, thanks. I was aware of that and I have been downloading your fantastic utility for some time, it's just that this time Chrome, and others, will not allow me to download the file after flagging it? I will see if I can download with defender temporarily switched off.

I tried downloading it myself and Defender didn't raise a fuss, although that could be because it has seen it before on my system. Thanks for letting me know.

Edited by Reset XPDR

1 minute ago, Reset XPDR said:

I tried downloading myself and Defender didn't raise a fuss, although that could be because it has seen it before on my system. Thanks for letting me know.

OK, I've got it by manually removing the Defender quarantine for the file.

Edited by Harrier77
  • Like 1

I’d just like to take this opportunity to commend you for your tireless work in creating this app. I’ve participated in the demo stages and can wholeheartedly say that it’s an invaluable tool that has transformed my flight simming experience.

Now, how can we donate to contribute something in return for your contribution to the community?

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

16 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I’d just like to take this opportunity to commend you for your tireless work in creating this app. I’ve participated in the demo stages and can wholeheartedly say that it’s an invaluable tool that has transformed my flight simming experience.

Now, how can we donate to contribute something in return for your contribution to the community?

Developing this app has reignited a joy of coding I haven't experienced for many years. I benefit from the app too, so there is a bit of self interest going on. Also, yours, and others, feedback has helped me tremendously to get the app to where it is today, so consider that thanks enough.

• Like 22

I also want to thank you very much for your effort!

• Like 3

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why has OLOD been taken out? It can make up to 25% difference in FPS on big hubs with many AI aicraft.

• Like 1

Thanks Reset, Love your work, you have made a massive difference to my enjoyment of MSFS. Please keep up the good work.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

5 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Why has OLOD been taken out? It can make up to 25% difference in FPS on big hubs with many AI aicraft.

Because in my testing, general experience before these apps and opinions of others I have received, OLOD has only a minor impact on FPS. In fact, I did most of my testing at either YSSY (ORBX), KLAX, KSEA and EGLL with lots of AI and MP traffic and barely saw FPS change (like a couple of % at most) with large changes in OLOD. Nonetheless, if you have a specific scenario in which you can demonstrate a 25% difference in FPS, let me know and I will try to replicate it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

Because in my testing, general experience before these apps and opinions of others I have received, OLOD has only a minor impact on FPS. In fact, I did most of my testing at either YSSY (ORBX), KLAX, KSEA and EGLL with lots of AI and MP traffic and barely saw FPS change (like a couple of % at most) with large changes in OLOD. Nonetheless, if you have a specific scenario in which you can demonstrate a 25% difference in FPS, let me know and I will try to replicate it.

I tried KJFK from iniBuilds with 100% AIG traffic (~ 250 aircraft over/at New York), I had 25 FPS with OLOD 10 and 18 FPS with OLOD 200. This might of course vary with hardware and other factors, so I'm not sure you can replicate it with your top notch system (I have a 3600X and a 1080ti for that matter...). And obviously it's not the case with less AI traffic (e.g. FSLTL injects MUCH less traffic by defalt), it's more a border case in that regard. Still I'll probably stick with the original tool for now because of that, because I fly with 100% AIG traffic all the time.

@Reset XPDR - You are fast becoming one of the most valuable and generous members of the MSFS community.

Thanks so much for all the work and effort put into this fantastic project.

• Like 6

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)