Posted (edited)

I decided to go for a CYYZ circuit (RWY 33R) in the no-glass classic C172 (I'm guessing this is one of the most performance-light aircraft in MSFS. No AI traffic. I did get more interesting findings. Mostly in the new auto target FPS mode, although I did switch to expert mode briefly (let AutoFPS settle before taking screenshot). 

Expert settings enabled:

OAovaQc.jpeg

Auto Target FPS mode on final approach. Again, TLOD is bit too low for me on approach, as the RWY could be a bit hard to see clearly, especially at smaller airports. 

0laT0LS.jpeg

New MSFS world record FPS at a 3rd party major hub? 🤪

fSti6o8.jpeg

Not ideal conditions for the poor C172 with no anti-ice capabilities:

CYYZ METAR:

Wind 340° 15kt, gusting 23kt. Visibility 10sm. light snow. Clouds few 1200ft, overcast 2200ft. Temperature -1°C, dew point -3°C. Altimeter 29.54inHg.

55 minutes ago, BAW242 said:

One question, is it possible to set a standard minimum TLOD on ground but allow it to go further down if necessary (my system maintains TLOD 100 and 60 FPS easily except EGLL/KLAX etc with AI traffic, so I’d like it to be 100 standard but reduce below 100 only when necessary, not every time). My understanding is that the minimum TLOD is mandated at all airports regardless of performance.

Maybe there’s something I’m not setting correctly?

I would recommend to try the latest test version which has a new Auto Target FPS mode: basically it will set TLOD, OLOD and cloud quality at as low values as needed in order to get MAX FPS. See my posts and screenshots for examples. 

In expert settings mode, you set a minimum TLOD (e.g. 100) and a TLOD base (e.g. 1000ft AGL) and AutoFPS will bring TLOD down to Min value on approach at 1000ft AGL. You can combine this with Auto Target FPS and it will only reduce TLOD to the Min value you set: 

Gk9EdSn.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GSalden said:

If I am correct the developer advised to use just a few AGL levels as otherwise there is a continuous loading/unloading of terrain tiles.

And using Step Max for more smoother tiles loading.

Btw : this is the Auto FPS thread

As i said, those settings just works. And yes, they are constantly changing, but with minor steps, so there is no terrain "pop up"´s. If i do the to big change, lets say from 150 to 120, you will see the terrain pop ups. Ok, i was in wrong topic. I am very sorry about that. 

Edited by Corsten

CYFB Iqaluit International Airport (WU XI Canada)

5EvIV4Z.jpeg

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

@Reset XPDR, I haven't been able to thoroughly follow this thread any more lately (I'm still happily using your DynamicLOD app.). I just wanted to ask if you still see the chance to make this AutoFPS app compatible with systems that need to keep a fixed steady framerate (like with a monitor that is not G-Sync capable.).

I use a tool called CoreTemp which measures and shows the Temps and Loads of all CPU cores. I just came to think if you could adapt your new AutoTargetFPS feature to a AutoTargetTemp or AutoTargetLoad feature, by reading the temps resp. loads of the CPU cores (averaged over all cores and over several seconds) from a tool like CoreTemp and thus adjust LODs to keep that target even with a fixed framerate.

I have been testing the program over a number of flights now and I am not getting the FPS relative settings to work properly.

I am using VSync and have mostly consistent 25 fps at all times.  The counter varies between 24 and 25 fps.

When I am in big clouds the fps counter takes a hit, and fps may momentarily drop as low as 15 or 17 before climbing  back after a while. In these circumstances the TLOD does not reduce, nor does the cloud settings reduce.  I have set target FPS at 22.

What target fps should I set?

Would it be possible to have the option to choose between fps TLOD reduction and/or fps cloud reduction setting?

I would prefer an option that cloud settings reduce in air, rather than have to wait until TLOD has counted down before clouds settings change.

In my opinion, in air, fps cloud reduction makes most sense, whereas on approach TLOD reduction makes most sense.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

CYFB Iqaluit International Airport (WU XI Canada)

5EvIV4Z.jpeg

Why do you have OLOD 40 on the ground? It is pretty bad value in the airports. And you got 866 OLOD in the image when you were aproaching. That doesent make sense.

Edited by Corsten

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, LGKR said:

In my opinion, in air, fps cloud reduction makes most sense, whereas on approach TLOD reduction makes most sense.

Not if the frame rate is being automatically increased beyond what frame rate the user is happy with...an "acceptable" FPS rate.  And that is the issue I am experiencing when using the "auto FPS" option.

For instance, I made a flight at FL410 with a full overcast below me.  Could not see any ground anywhere all the way to the horizon even if I wanted to.  With the "auto FPS" activated the app chose to increase my FPS rate to a rate I would never choose (or NEED) myself.  And in order to maintain that artificially inflated frame rate, it automatically DECREASES the cloud setting, in my case from High to Medium, just to have that unneeded higher FPS.  It made the overcast cloud layer below me look lousy at the expense of giving an increased FPS that served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.  

The above is similar to what Cap-Piett is reporting in his posts above.  The "auto-FPS" seems to be "Priority" increasing the frame rate to a higher number that really isn't needed to begin with, at the expense of reducing a higher cloud setting (High to Medium or similar) AND reducing the TLOD also when neither one needs to be reduced to maintain an "acceptable" FPS rate that is already fine with the user. 

The app shouldn't force higher-than-necessary FPS rates at the expense of reducing higher cloud settings or TLOD just to have higher THAN NECESSARY ("user acceptable") frame rates.  In this regard, even though the "auto FPS" setting is designed for a "non-computer savvy" (ie - "I don't know what settings to select to begin with") user, when it does what is described above it really isn't helping the simulator run at it's "best graphics settings".

Edited by FalconAF
fat fingers
  • Like 1

Rick Ryan

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Corsten said:

Why do you have OLOD 40 on the ground? It is pretty bad value in the airports. And you got 866 OLOD in the image when you were aproaching. That doesent make sense.

I didn't choose OLOD 40 on ground - AutoFPS's new Auto Target FPS set this for me. It will change TLOD/OLOD/clouds in order to chase highest FPS possible. 

I'd prefer a higher OLOD (and conversely a lower TLOD on approach/ground) - so I'll probably use expert mode instead of full auto mode. 

Example (ENBO):

11ktbHq.jpeg

I made some further changes: disabled cloud quality decrease and auto target fps. I prefer a TLOD as high as possible up high in order to see as much of the surrounding terrain as possible. Especially over the magnificent Lofoten Islands. FPS is of course a lot lower, but I think FG-FPS of 71 is still decent enough. 

DlvWkou.jpeg

Auto Target FPS mode back on, and the mountains don't look nearly as pretty. 

zvomU7M.jpeg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LGKR said:

I have been testing the program over a number of flights now and I am not getting the FPS relative settings to work properly.

I'll attempt to answer your questions before @Reset XPDR wakes up 🙂

First, which version of AutoFPS are you using? The latest test version has a new Auto Target FPS feature that might be helpful for you. Perhaps share a screenshot of your AutoFPS window with us. 

What target fps should I set?

If I recall corretly, Vsync set in-sim will limit FPS. So you should set target FPS in AutoFPS about 5% lower than your Vsync FPS. 

Would it be possible to have the option to choose between fps TLOD reduction and/or fps cloud reduction setting?

You can use expert settings and set your own TLOD min and max. You can disable cloud reduction setting. 

I would prefer an option that cloud settings reduce in air, rather than have to wait until TLOD has counted down before clouds settings change.

I'll let Reset answer this. 

IMO both makes sense. Just arrived at CYYZ Toronto earlier today in the Fenix, and I think both reduced TLOD and cloud detail reduction was necessary. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

New MSFS world record FPS at a 3rd party major hub? 🤪

Now fire up FlyTampa CYYZ with FSLTL and see 🤣🤣

Nice FPS though LOL

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FalconAF said:

The above is similar to what Cap-Piett is reporting in his posts above.  The "auto-FPS" seems to be "Priority" increasing the frame rate to a higher number that really isn't needed to begin with, at the expense of reducing a higher cloud setting (High to Medium or similar) AND reducing the TLOD also when neither one needs to be reduced to maintain an "acceptable" FPS rate that is already fine with the user. 

The app shouldn't force higher-than-necessary FPS rates at the expense of reducing higher cloud settings or TLOD just to have higher THAN NECESSARY ("user acceptable") frame rates.  In this regard, even though the "auto FPS" setting is designed for a "non-computer savvy" (ie - "I don't know what settings to select to begin with") user, when it does what is described above it really isn't helping the simulator run at it's "best graphics settings".

Now we have more options though, as I demonstrated in the post above Richard's. 

Auto Target FPS: Will reduce everything to get highest possible FPS. 

JKxiCZg.jpeg

Auto Target disabled: TLOD min will be 1/2 of TLOD set in MSFS menu, TLOD max will be 3x that. 

vShM5IC.jpeg

Expert mode: Max user flexibility. 

f84ricz.jpeg

In this regard, even though the "auto FPS" setting is designed for a "non-computer savvy" (ie - "I don't know what settings to select to begin with") user, when it does what is described above it really isn't helping the simulator run at it's "best graphics settings".

I think that might be a valid point. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
Updated as Reset explained non-expert mode TLOD logic

Wow, near silence for the last day and then a sea of posts this morning!

I'll get to the specifics a bit later, but I will say a couple of things with Auto FPS where I am seeing a common theme:

• Auto target FPS auto adjusting is air looks like it is setting FPS too high and Max TLOD is not being achieved. This is great feedback and I will tweak this lower.
  • Auto target FPS auto adjusting getting thrown off by FG active/inactive transitions. I will disable auto adjust on FG inactive, which should fix it.
  • Auto target FPS works much, much better if you enable it on the ground, let it calibrate and take it from there and leave it alone. Disabling then enabling it in flight puts it in a difficult situation as it doesn't know whether performance conditions are good or bad because on the ground it knows conditions should be close to the lower end of performance.

Fixing the auto adjust in air should help with most of this, but in the interim can I ask testers to enable auto target FPS on the ground and leave it set for the entire flight and let me know how that goes.

I'll respond to the rest of the messages a bit later. Thank you all for trying this out and providing feedback! 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

With the last two test versions I am getting considerable stutters in spite of good frames. Did not happen before.

Granted, its a taxing scenario - FT CYYZ/FSLTL/ Fenix a320. I am getting 30 FPS with Vsync on (which is the max cap) with a target of 27 , however, there are stutters at constant intervals (which is to suggest some external interference).

If I close the program, the frames do indeed drop to 24-25 but the constant stuttering stops.

I had no such issues with previous versions.

26 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

With the last two test versions I am getting considerable stutters in spite of good frames. Did not happen before.

Granted, its a taxing scenario - FT CYYZ/FSLTL/ Fenix a320. I am getting 30 FPS with Vsync on (which is the max cap) with a target of 27 , however, there are stutters at constant intervals (which is to suggest some external interference).

If I close the program, the frames do indeed drop to 24-25 but the constant stuttering stops.

I had no such issues with previous versions.

Are you using non-expert mode or TLOD Min on ground/landing and/or Auto Target FPS? What sim values if any, are showing as changing while these stutters happen?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

@Reset XPDR

Currentky in a flight from Amsterdam to Nice.

My Left view pc has just 1 4K display connected and the AutoFPS feature seems to work well. 

My Server pc had 2 4K displays connected and the AutoFPS feature seems unstable. The LOD value is continuesly adjusted bevause the target framerate gets adjusted continuously.

And FG is Enabled on both pc’s but the App seems not to see it. It says Off.

Here the LOD The continuesly LOD adjusting on the server ( 5 sec between these screenshots)

Also see the difference in FPM … The Left view client is doing the same as the server ..

To finish the rest of the flight I switched to Adaptive LOD. Also saying that FG is off …

Firstly, FG is being detected by the app on all your screen shots. You are confusing the difference between active and inactive, which relates to whether MSFS has the focus or not respectively, which it turn determines whether FG is actually active or not and is nothing to do with my app. See the readme for a more detailed explanation.

Secondly, your specific setup with multiple monitors and multiple PCs is an extreme edge case for AutoFPS that I do not intent to cater for because it would take so much time to benefit only a handful of users and I can't test it myself at all. Respectfully, I suggest you go back to using DynamicLOD variants.

Finally, despite being an extreme edge, you have shown me that I should not be auto adjusting Auto Target FPS when FG is inactive, so I thank you for that and will fix it.