I see no reason to close this thread, the size of it indicates interest. However, when the RTM version is released it should start a new thread, we can leave this open for additional reference and discussion. Frankly, I find myself rereading much of the content to aid my understanding of some of the concepts - there is no other way to do it - unless Reset wants to code an AI search engine to cherry pick the thread in his spare time.  😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

@Reset XPDR Seb just mentioned this/other mod in the live stream, agreeing it's a good idea and one that he has on the backlog to bring as default to the sim 🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

42 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Seb just mentioned this/other mod in the live stream, agreeing it's a good idea and one that he has on the backlog to bring as default to the sim

If they add it to the sim it needs to be customisable though, like this mod is, the last thing we need it them dumbing down the graphics if we are already happy with performance,

I am confused at this point. I am currently running Version 0.4.2 test .  It is working fine and I am running it in expert mode. Should I just stay with this version, or will there be a final release in the future that everyone should be using? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I am confused at this point.

Same, there are so many options now. I hope after the final release there will be a very detailed well laid out user guide really explaining all the options, it has become a bit of a minefield. I’ve tried to keep up to date with everything on this thread, it’s hard will a full time job!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, fppilot said:

Here is where I am at right now. My systems specs are in my message footer.  Smooth with the app not on top.  A bit sluggish when on top. The screen shot taken at VerticalSim's KTPA. Will fly this afternoon. Any suggestions from Reset XPDR or Cpt_Piett are welcome.  Others should apply first (LOL)!

Your settings looks reasonable, both MSFS menu and AutoFPS. 

I did extensive testing yesterday (latest test build unless a new build is released as I'm typing this). My findings: AutoFPS works GREAT in non-expert mode. Tested when flying the Fenix into Drzewiecki's Ronald Reagan, TBM850 over the Peruvian Andes and low-flying over lower Manhattan in the experimental Velocity. 

I'm still a bit confused as to which TLOD/OLOD to set in MSFS menu when NOT in expert mode though. So far my assumption is this:

• setting TLOD e.g. 200 and in non-expert mode TLOD min will be 200/2=100 and TLOD max will be 200x3=600. The app will adjust TLOD accordingly between min and max in order to maintain your target fps as good as possible
  • OLOD: not sure yet. I just set it to 200 and forget about it. 

Hope this can shed some light on this. I'm 5 hours behind on this thread, so you may very well be in MSFS-Nirvana now for all I know! 😁

And again: I do appreciate the confusion and bewilderment curious newcomers might experience when venturing into this thread! I can hardly keep up with the pace of it at times myself! I mean, I do have to sleep - from time to time 😉

And also: I think an important point is that the app is still a work in process. I.e. we do need to discuss this somewhere, to be able to feedback to Reset what we are experiencing - the good, the bad and the (hopefully not too many) uglies. This is not a "welcome to this thread - in here you'll almost immediately realise how to use AutoFPS and get outstanding results"-thread . I've gone through every single post on this thread (well, I'm 5 hrs behind) and I'm still experimenting with which settings to use. And then Reset will release a new test build (unless he hasn't already while I'm writing this) - and it's back to the test bench again!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

59 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am confused at this point. I am currently running Version 0.4.2 test .  It is working fine and I am running it in expert mode. Should I just stay with this version, or will there be a final release in the future that everyone should be using? 

Yes there will be a final release and yes you should update to it when it arrives as it will likely offer minor improvements and bug fixes I and others find along the test ground way.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Posted (edited)

I've spent some time today doing more comprehensive testing in one of the most demanding situations of the sim. Consider this a "stress-test" of what AutoFPS is capable of (in it's current rendition). 

Currently running in expert mode (settings in screenshot). Although mostly the same should apply in non-expert mode (different TLOD should be set in MSFS menu though). 

MSFS menu / usercfg.opt: TLOD 600 OLOD 200. I'm FPS-locked at 80 using RTSS. 

Situation: overflying lower Manhattan at 180kts 1500ft in Black Square's Velocity. 

Result: What I'm seeing is that under these arduous conditions, AutoFPS excels in both maintaining a very decent and (almost more importantly) constant frame rate. This can be verified by the very decent frame time variance values as seen in the CapFrameX recording. Very low FTV = very little perceived stuttering (very high fps is more a testament to what your rig is capable of). 

TL;DR: Looking at the "hard evidence" (and I've spent some hours scrutinizing CapFrameX results) - AutoFPS excels in what I believe it's designed to do, under the most demanding conditions. 

zblrl6M.jpg

ElvitsS.jpeg

A06bmkS.jpeg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

58 minutes ago, abennett said:

Same, there are so many options now. I hope after the final release there will be a very detailed well laid out user guide really explaining all the options, it has become a bit of a minefield. I’ve tried to keep up to date with everything on this thread, it’s hard will a full time job!!

As I have done with previous formal releases, the usage section in the readme will be updated with new/changed functionality of the new formal release. The detail level will be enough to succinctly tell you what each setting does and what it affects, but no more. I get enough pull from some users saying I write too much and some saying I write too little, so I am going to sit in the middle and dot point it. If this app is good enough, surely someone will put together a youtube how-to video on getting the best out of the app but it isn't going to be me.

• Like 4

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I see no reason to close this thread, the size of it indicates interest. However, when the RTM version is released it should start a new thread, we can leave this open for additional reference and discussion. Frankly, I find myself rereading much of the content to aid my understanding of some of the concepts - there is no other way to do it - unless Reset wants to code an AI search engine to cherry pick the thread in his spare time.  😁😁😁

I honeltly believe the discussion among some members is along the line of create a new thread that pulls all of this now strungout development into a more concise or compact form, not delete this original.  Much like (but different from) the changelogs at TO. Like a user friendly feature/benefit summary for each step of development rather than the deeply technical summaries he has posted here and elsewhere. I still know little of what to do to optimize either app, playing my own "what-if".  Messages from others imply the same.  This much more than deserves the light of day, but the end of day layman's light bulb 🔆 needs to come on for many of us to get the best from it.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MarcG said:

@Reset XPDR Seb just mentioned this/other mod in the live stream, agreeing it's a good idea and one that he has on the backlog to bring as default to the sim 🙂

Well, that does seem promising, doesn't it? It means "they" (or at least Seb) are open to implementing novel ideas from freeware developers into the sim. I mean - they did bring Working Title into the fold. Reading this I'm getting a little bit optimistic. I have nightmares about MS disabling my Xbox account for contributing in this thread - or ban my YT account 😅

16 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

surely someone will put together a youtube how-to video on getting the best out of the app

IslandSimPilot releases almost daily tidbits on how to get the best experience from MSFS. I've learned heaps from him! Rest assured he'll release another video some hours after you publish the release version 😄

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

TL;DR: Looking at the "hard evidence" (and I've spent some hours scrutinizing CapFrameX results) - AutoFPS excels in what I believe it's designed to do, under the most demanding conditions.

I should hire you as my PR manager. The only condition is that you don't get paid more than me and, since I get paid nothing, you won't be earning much! 😆

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Your settings looks reasonable, both MSFS menu and AutoFPS. 

I did extensive testing yesterday (latest test build unless a new build is released as I'm typing this). My findings: AutoFPS works GREAT in non-expert mode. Tested when flying the Fenix into Drzewiecki's Ronald Reagan, TBM850 over the Peruvian Andes and low-flying over lower Manhattan in the experimental Velocity. 

I'm still a bit confused as to which TLOD/OLOD to set in MSFS menu when NOT in expert mode though. So far my assumption is this:

• setting TLOD e.g. 200 and in non-expert mode TLOD min will be 200/2=100 and TLOD max will be 200x3=600. The app will adjust TLOD accordingly between min and max in order to maintain your target fps as good as possible
  • OLOD: not sure yet. I just set it to 200 and forget about it. 

Hope this can shed some light on this. I'm 5 hours behind on this thread, so you may very well be in MSFS-Nirvana now for all I know! 😁

And again: I do appreciate the confusion and bewilderment curious newcomers might experience when venturing into this thread! I can hardly keep up with the pace of it at times myself! I mean, I do have to sleep - from time to time 😉

And also: I think an important point is that the app is still a work in process. I.e. we do need to discuss this somewhere, to be able to feedback to Reset what we are experiencing - the good, the bad and the (hopefully not too many) uglies. This is not a "welcome to this thread - in here you'll almost immediately realise how to use AutoFPS and get outstanding results"-thread . I've gone through every single post on this thread (well, I'm 5 hrs behind) and I'm still experimenting with which settings to use. And then Reset will release a new test build (unless he hasn't already while I'm writing this) - and it's back to the test bench again!

Thank you. That helps.  The MSFS setting I am just throwing on the wall playing what-if are the settings in the upper box.  AA, Nvidia DLSS Super Res, AMD FidelityFX (with my Nv RTX), V-Sync (whether to use with AutoFPS), Nv Reflex Low Latency, and the DX12 (beta). What are the possible inter-relationships of each, to each other with use of AutoFPS, + or - .

RE: Youtube videos.  Something that keeps it basic/generic = yes.  i.e. providing a baseline.  From there methinks our individual systems and the inherent nuances would only create more confusion.  If we go expert we will not all end up at the same place, leading to too much copycat and likely frustration.  Too much of that is in my own rear view mirror in this thread, and it did not work out for me.  I tried too many things from too many sources (actually only 3) at once and they ganged up on me.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Well, that does seem promising, doesn't it? It means "they" (or at least Seb) are open to implementing novel ideas from freeware developers into the sim. I mean - they did bring Working Title into the fold. Reading this I'm getting a little bit optimistic. I have nightmares about MS disabling my Xbox account for contributing in this thread - or ban my YT account 😅

Someone has already put up on the MSFS forum what I think is a great half-way compromise for this sort of mod to exist legitimately in future here, namely to give us devs a simconnect interface to make MSFS settings changes externally. This way Asobo doesn't have to code these features in MSFS themselves, although they could have a very basic implementation, and devs like me can come out of hiding and make apps like these even better.

I recommend everyone using this app and who are on the MSFS forum vote for this wishlist item, like I did.

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

On a positive note, I have my radio buttons communicating their status properly with the rest of the app, so its full steam ahead for the VFR / IFR flight mode terminology and associated functionality.

Can you explain better the last line in the app?  "DSX12 | FG Active | FPS Settling 3s"?   Using RTX 3080.  Tried the RTX 3-series Frame Generation hack. Totally clensed it from my system and reestablished prior settings.  So why is the app today showing me "FG Active"?  I no longer have a setting for that.  And what is the meaning of "FPS Settling 3s"?

image.png.79ab805fa4a6f518511927a349ee2889.png

Frank Patton
ASUS