Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

How to get the best image quality using DLDSR+DLSS

35 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

@Noel 1.78x is good enough for me. Any higher and the benefits in visual quality are outweighed by performance loss due to extra load on GPU + increased main thread frame times. 

Re: the choppy panning - did you check G-Sync was working with the new settings? 

Could be a variety of reasons I guess. Maybe check CPU cores to see if they are maxed or if there's thermal throttling. 

The stuttered panning was because GSYNC wasn't working due to his not changing the display resolution. Sound familiar?? 😉

Agreed on the 1.78x being good enough. Between the increased VRAM usage and the main thread hit, it's not visually worth it.

Edited by mmcmah
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Noel said:

Oh yes I missed changing the display resolution, I just selected 1.78 as a DSR factor, changed resolution in-sim, but did not selected it in display resolution, which I just did thru NVCP and ....VOILA!  No more stuttered panning.

Thanks!!!!  Looks great!

So of course had to try 2.25x now that mmcmah fixed me.  And it's performing great too!  I guess the consensus is 1.78x is good enough?

Fantastic!! Glad you got it all working together!

9 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

@Noel 1.78x is good enough for me. Any higher and the benefits in visual quality are outweighed by performance loss due to extra load on GPU + increased main thread frame times. 

Re: the choppy panning - did you check G-Sync was working with the new settings? I encountered this and it took me a while to realize the monitor had stopped syncing with the GPU.

Could be a variety of reasons I guess. Maybe check CPU cores to see if they are maxed or if there's thermal throttling. 

You missed my comments above ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

44 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Fantastic!! Glad you got it all working together!

Thanks for persisting!  Yep, all's well now!

Cheers ;o)

Even GSX's PAX look much sharper!  Cool!

I had my 2nd display which is connected to iGPU somehow messed up all of my SLC windows such that I had to start over to set their positions as one was hidden off the screen.  

I tell you I am about sick of testing, troubleshooting yada yada yada!  Time to enjoy a nice fly EDDM>EBBR 😉

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 2/24/2024 at 12:02 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

Enable the first two options under DSR - Factors in global settings in Nvidia control panel:

Is this guide for 40er series only? As I don't see this ^^ DSR Factors section in my control panel settings at all?

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

18 minutes ago, DAD said:

Is this guide for 40er series only? As I don't see this ^^ DSR Factors section in my control panel settings at all?

I don't believe it's only for 40 series. You don't see the following option in your Nvidia Control Panel? Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> DSR Factors?

• Like 1

As @Cpt_Piett suggested in an earlier comment, you will want to play with the DSR - Smoothness setting. I think it defaults to 33%. I have mine at 50%, but I have seen others mention much higher amounts.

Edited by mmcmah

13 hours ago, mmcmah said:

There is a resolution option in NCP to change the active resolution that the display is set to. The DSR options that you enable are something you do only once. The display resolution is something you need to change every time you do so in the sim for anything above your native resolution (pr back to it). Please look at this screenshot to see the option that I have been trying to explain: https://imgur.com/a/7gfMrlz.

Let me check on this:  if I keep using DSR 1.78x I know that's a one-time set.  As long as I keep the Windows display resolution to match that, will I need to set it each time I launch Windows?  If so I'm not sure this will work.  I use Self Loading Cargo and its various windows live on my 2nd display.  Every time I've changed the main screen resolution for some reason all of these windows specifically set on this 1080p panel they disappear, necessitating  lengthy reset as I have to delete is .xml file and start over with all of its settings, which is not going to work!  Perhaps if it all stays the same with the windows reboot w/o changing anything it may work.

Noel

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Let me check on this:  if I keep using DSR 1.78x I know that's a one-time set.  As long as I keep the Windows display resolution to match that, will I need to set it each time I launch Windows?  If so I'm not sure this will work.  I use Self Loading Cargo and its various windows live on my 2nd display.  Every time I've changed the main screen resolution for some reason all of these windows specifically set on this 1080p panel they disappear, necessitating  lengthy reset as I have to delete is .xml file and start over with all of its settings, which is not going to work!  Perhaps if it all stays the same with the windows reboot w/o changing anything it may work.

Unfortunately, changing the monitor resolution that is active does change the icon and screen layouts. I don't think it forgets them per se, but it can be a bit of a pain to move things around if you have to every time. One thing that I have found works for me is to open the ancillary programs while everything is at the native resolution and then once you're ready to interact with the sim more completely, that's when I change the NCP display resolution and the sim resolution. That way, the windows that have been opened with the native resolution stay where they are and they also don't open with tiny text.

Sorry if this was presented but it's a very quick question:  is DSR that superior to MSFS' built in Render Scaler?  Right now I've chosen 130% which is close to the DSR 1.78x and is impacting the GPU similarly.  What do you think do you all compare these and conclude DSR is worth the other issues associated with it, that you mention here?  At least that model confines the whole scaling only to MSFS.

Noel

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sorry if this was presented but it's a very quick question:  is DSR that superior to MSFS' built in Render Scaler?  Right now I've chosen 130% which is close to the DSR 1.78x and is impacting the GPU similarly.  What do you think do you all compare these and conclude DSR is worth the other issues associated with it, that you mention here?  At least that model confines the whole scaling only to MSFS.

If that's your experince, go for it. In mine, the drain on the GPU is much worse with TAA and RS 130. Here's a chart I put together earlier in this thread: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/642554-how-to-get-the-best-image-quality-using-dldsrdlss/?do=findComment&comment=5070075

• Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 10:59 AM, mmcmah said:

To that end, everyone loves to say TAA is the best for cockpits and glass screens. Can't argue the opposite there, but outside the cockpit, TAA is terrible. It loses a lot of detail in the medium distance and even more in the far distance. It also leads to shimmering.

Of the DLSS options, clearly the Ultra Quality option generates the best looking graphics while also not being as heavy on the system as something like TAA 130. Personally, I will be using DLSS Ultra Quality on either at DSR1.78x and 0.8x or 1x as there is a small difference between them, but it's there.

Interesting I didn't know TAA does terrible exterior view--I guess I better try DLSS Ultra.  Does one use Render Scaling with DLSS?

Yes for whatever reason TAA at RS130 is hitting my GPU less than 1.78x. GPU load about 50%, and VRAM 16000.

Haha, I think I know the reason--my native res is 3440x1440 ;o)  Not sure yet but the DSR 1.78x might be a little better, but has these other side effects that aren't good!

Edited by Noel

Noel

1 hour ago, DAD said:

Nope, it's there for RTX 2070, 3080 etc

• Like 1

Noel

5 hours ago, mmcmah said:

The stuttered panning was because GSYNC wasn't working due to his not changing the display resolution. Sound familiar?? 😉

Was it? I guess the trap that I fell into was big enough to fit more people 😅

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

By the way I found that the bluriness on the glasscockpits can be alleviated a bit by reducing the DSR Smoothing in the NCP. By default it is set to 33%. I reduced it to 25% and it reduces the smearing effect a little bit.

• Like 1