Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

New Map Enhancement tool

Posted (edited)

MSFS has had the map enhancement tool (streams ortho) for a long time - it has now been released for X-Plane!

Written by the same developer it should allow higher quality textures.  This just popped into my YouTube, after 24 hours trying to install AutoOrtho.  

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

THANK YOU!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Interesting. Based on the file structure and the folder names, it looks like Map Enhancement Tool is using same base packages as AutoOrtho but I haven't installed this yet so I really don't know.

I'll be curious to give this a try and compare the results to AutoOrtho.

Posted (edited)

It has taken about three hours to download and unpack - just about to finish so I'll be very interested in how it looks.

*Edit*  -  3 hours after reporting 25 minutes to go, its still installing telling me there is now 35 minutes to go!  Still a lengthy install like AutoOrtho!

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I find this shady as it uses AO base scenery. Hmmmm...

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Hi

I have two computers that just sit at calculating with zeros all around. The third computer gives an error and won't even load. States Backend Server Failed. you must fix this issue before you can use this software. Run as adimin, tried that, close software that uses 443 or 42099 port - nothing is using those ports, don't have anti-virus on and I've redownloaded and reinstalled with the same error. 

Three computers looks like nothing is working.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

4 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Hi

I have two computers that just sit at calculating with zeros all around. The third computer gives an error and won't even load. States Backend Server Failed. you must fix this issue before you can use this software. Run as adimin, tried that, close software that uses 443 or 42099 port - nothing is using those ports, don't have anti-virus on and I've redownloaded and reinstalled with the same error. 

Three computers looks like nothing is working.

The same message appeared here when I had old version of WinFSP installed. Be sure to download and install newest one, as explained in the tutorial video.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

8 minutes ago, Pe11e said:

The same message appeared here when I had old version of WinFSP installed. Be sure to download and install newest one, as explained in the tutorial video.

I used the link in his video.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Posted (edited)

Good to see another sharp developer joining the XP crowd, hopefully this tool will keep improving like its counterpart for MSFS.

Benefits are the possibility of using different maps providers and on-the-fly map switching

Edited by peroni

1 hour ago, peroni said:

Benefits are the possibility of using different maps providers

It looks exactly the same as the MSFS version, so does have map provider options.

Does it also use the AutoOrtho scenery (as created with Ortho4XP) or is it generated in another way?

I wonder why the author has not open sourced it. I mean as long as people don't care about that, good for him/her.

There has been one comment from the author in the AutoOrtho discussions but otherwise nothing within the AutoOrtho community. Is he just using the idea for the Windows-fuse-emulation or more of AO? Where would he be without Matt pioneering that for X-Plane?

A lot of marketing claims. That's the opposite of Matt. You can be sad that he's not around a lot but he has not promised anything or committed himself to anyone. And his code is there to stay.

Apart from that it does not support Linux.

Any shots of this working in sim yet?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Three separate computers no go so far.

• Like 1

Whilst it's great there are options, what is this doing differently or better than AutoOrtho already does, it seems pretty much an identical solution? Is it easier to use?

I've not used either solution since neither work on Mac OS.

17 hours ago, flightwusel said:

I wonder why the author has not open sourced it. I mean as long as people don't care about that, good for him/her.

There was a post about a "pro" version I saw, which basically you had to pay for to enable google imagery which saw a lot of backlash (mostly because it would be questionably illegal). I'm not sure if this was the same software though, so I could be wrong

On 3/5/2024 at 9:36 PM, scotchegg said:

Just one example. There are plenty of them on discord.spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM